•  
Advertise here

World's first all electric off-road beast

victor

23 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Thanks, @victor for sharing this nice update. Not sure about others, but I like its design quite much. Nice blend of defender and Hummer. The only thing my mind doesn't accept is its electricry powered and how that will produce off-road grunt.....?

Electric motors have much more instant and stable grunt. They are producing 100% of their power and torque from the word go, unlike internal combustion you don't have to reach a certain rpm to get max power or stay within certain rpm band for optimal torque. And this rated at quite a few 100 horsepowers would be rip through the one or two dunes it will attack before running out of power. Thats the biggest Achilles heel of todays electric vehicles. Range ans recharge times along with beinf bulky and very expensive to replace which you have to within 3-5 years and even less in a hot place like this

Yes, Barry and Desertdude, I have heard all these media scoops but my mind is gauging them based on actual common sense logic.

My point is not only to get the full power from word go but during goi iii ing. Can electric car deliver 100% rated hp and torque at 10% of remaining battery...? 

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Two years ago I replaced the car battery with a factory original battery and the car spent most of time under cover in the car park or under cover at the office and I have just replaced my battery, only two years!

54 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Yes, Barry and Desertdude, I have heard all these media scoops but my mind is gauging them based on actual common sense logic.

My point is not only to get the full power from word go but during goi iii ing. Can electric car deliver 100% rated hp and torque at 10% of remaining battery...? 

It's not about media scoops, it's about actual proven and quantifiable figures and that's what these electric motors are producing. They consistently outperform combustion engines. 

Yes, the vehicles computer will cut the power at a certain point to save the battery. If the battery goes below a certain point it will be fubar.  If the system is designed correctly, you will have full power until it cuts out. A reserve can be added at lower power but it can harm the battery. It running out of electricity is the same problem as running out of petrol, nothing new, just scary because people haven't experienced it before.

The latest Tesla only runs at 75%ish percent to prolong battery life. In the recent hurricanes in USA, tesla remotely upped the power to give people longer battery life and distance to escape the hurricane. 

34 minutes ago, Barry said:

It's not about media scoops, it's about actual proven and quantifiable figures and that's what these electric motors are producing. They consistently outperform combustion engines. 

Yes, the vehicles computer will cut the power at a certain point to save the battery. If the battery goes below a certain point it will be fubar.  If the system is designed correctly, you will have full power until it cuts out. A reserve can be added at lower power but it can harm the battery. It running out of electricity is the same problem as running out of petrol, nothing new, just scary because people haven't experienced it before.

The latest Tesla only runs at 75%ish percent to prolong battery life. In the recent hurricanes in USA, tesla remotely upped the power to give people longer battery life and distance to escape the hurricane. 

Yeah but unlike gas, you can just go to the gas station and refill in 5 mins or have to change the engine every 3 or so years.

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

Thats what I was saying the range figures on the electrics are under optimal conditions just like mog figures from the vehicle manufacturers which are never true in real world situation and add dune bashing into the mix where your right foot spends most of the time mashed to the floor. Thats why I said it'll be great for the two dunes you can cross before it runs out of juice. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Barry said:

If the battery goes below a certain point it will be fubar.  

That's the whole point, and I'm highly skeptical on the delivery of 100% rated power across the usable battery range even.

Batteries in the torch, r/c cars, fans etc start with a good bang and slowly deteriorate the performance as it runs out unlike in petrol = go / no-go.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Somehow for me electric and beast don't go together. When you say off-road there are different terrains, I'm sure it is electric and would not be good for water crossings or driving in the mud. What about long soft dune climb?. Till we do not have one in our hands to test it out in different terrain I will just keep me quiet.

12 hours ago, Gaurav said:

That's the whole point, and I'm highly skeptical on the delivery of 100% rated power across the usable battery range even.

Batteries in the torch, r/c cars, fans etc start with a good bang and slowly deteriorate the performance as it runs out unlike in petrol = go / no-go.

Those are different types of batteries. Let me give you an easy example. Like you phone. When its running its running. Your phone doesnt start to slow down i.e start losing reception or transmitting weaker, browsing becomes slower when it reaches 75%, 50%, 35% until a preset level is reached amd it goes into battery saver mode and most you can chose that level or even skip it. Another similar example is laptop batteries. Hope its clearer now

37 minutes ago, Rahimdad said:

Somehow for me electric and beast don't go together. When you say off-road there are different terrains, I'm sure it is electric and would not be good for water crossings or driving in the mud. What about long soft dune climb?. Till we do not have one in our hands to test it out in different terrain I will just keep me quiet.

Read the article. The battery pack is sealed ans stay submerged in 1meter for water for 30minutes. And the interior is designed to be hosed off with water if its gets muddy. 

for some reason, i dig it... and its just a start... 
tesla isnt the first to make electric cars.... untill tesla came, people were all skeptical about it and its weird design kinda like made for the future or just fugly... i am waiting for more companies trying this out so we would have a final (or atleast close to) practical off-roader just like the tesla made cars.. 

hey, tesla is about to make semi-trucks *miles* *cough* ... who knew? 😂 #future

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/14/elon-musk-tesla-electric-lorry-unveiled-late-october

edit: if anybody cares about the tesla semi thing, make sure watch elon musk's interview at TED talks.. (teaser and very small details about it outrunning the everyday semi)

havent read anything about the vehicle which this topic started... more like not interested in knowing it rn 

Edited by hAwX
Ted talks