•  
Advertise here

Al Qaswa Auto Spare parts selling fake / non-working parts

UAE consumer complaints: Cars, spare parts and electronics top

Ministry of Economy says consumers complaints up 22% last year, 95% solved

Complaints submitted by members of the public to the Ministry of Economy's Consumer Protection Department surged by 22 per cent to 18,637 in 2015 from 15,221 in the year before.

Complaints sent by consumers to the department varied from high prices of goods and products to defects and non-conforming items in cars, spare parts, electronics, mobile phones, furniture, properties and credit cards.

''Complaints about defects in cars topped the list, constituting 24 per cent or 3,927 of the total complaints, '' according to the annual report issued by the department.

It noted that the second quarter of the year saw the highest number of complaints, accounting for 5,296 or 28.5 per cent of the total complaints received throughout the year.

Dr. Hashim Al Nuaimi, Director of the Consumer Protection Department, said that 95 per cent of complaints were settled amicably while the remaining 5 per cent were referred to courts.

''The Department has been receiving increasing number of complaints over the years thanks to consumers practicing their rights due to the success of nationwide campaigns conducted at both federal and emirates level to advise and raise awareness of consumers and protect their rights,'' he added.

• Like (+1) 1

Many thanks, Sid this is very encouraging to report and to stand for our rights.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Ah. No the test is for when its working. One tge engine warms up the clucth engages and stay engaged until the engine bay temp falls below a certain level. So you can check it with or engine running. There ia no second function the engine fan and clutch have just ONE function..

And the symptoms you described could also be of a clogged radiator or water pump not working at 100% efficiency. Worn, broken rusted blades etc etc. 

So thats why I said make 1000% sure the clutch is not working. You dont want to end up with egg on your face after going through this whole ordeal only to find out it wasnt the clutch that was causing the engine temp to spike.

2 hours ago, desertdude said:

Ah. No the test is for when its working. One tge engine warms up the clucth engages and stay engaged until the engine bay temp falls below a certain level. So you can check it with or engine running. 

Slight correction in your basic oxford English dictionary buddy:

1. engine warms up = OVERHEAT
  2. certain level = IDEAL TEMPERATURE

I am driving in the desert for over 10 years and almost all the cars when pushed for dune bashing (not desert safari - train track), do get slight overheat and this fan clutch produces a hell of a noise that felt inside the car cabin. I have heard this on my Land Cruiser, Patrol, Discovery, Range Rover, Cayenne, Pajero 3.0 and even on this same Pajero 3.5 for last 7 years. 

The radiator has been detailed clean 4-5 months back, as soon as summer started and I have driven the same Pajero for all the summer drives. It raises the temperature and again brings it down in 3-5 minutes provided clutch fan is working as it is intended.

2 hours ago, desertdude said:

There ia no second function the engine fan and clutch have just ONE function..

Time to refresh your car knowledge too:

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_clutch

1. When the engine is cool or even at normal operating temperature, the fan clutch partially disengages the engine's mechanically driven radiator cooling fan, generally located at the front of the water pump and driven by a belt and pulley connected to the engine's crankshaft. This saves power, since the engine does not have to fully drive the fan.

2. However, if engine temperature rises above the clutch's engagement temperature setting, the fan becomes fully engaged, thus drawing a higher volume of ambient air through the vehicle's radiator, which in turn serves to maintain or lower the engine coolant temperature to an acceptable level.

Check the below video of comparing the new clutch failing when the car was overheating vs below video of old clutch modified as the direct clutch now to run all-time at engine RPM. 

If the new clutch was working or really genuine, then it should have been running at below fan speed and not so slow to bring the temperature down.

Play the video at high volume to hear both channel audio (slow and high-speed gushing).

I'd like to point out that running hot and overheating are different things. If the temperature hand goes up a bit, it's running hot. If the hand goes to full and steam comes from the radiator cap, then it's overheating. As long as the hand isn't in the red, it's fine. People worry too much about this. An engine is designed to be able to handle a bit of heat over the normal temperature, it's not going to pop just because the hand touches 3/4.

Some customers have confused the hell out of me with this in the past telling me their car was overheating when it wasn't. It was just running hot due to blocked radiator, stuck thermostat etc. and no matter what tests I did, I couldn't replicate the 'overheating'. If they had told me properly what the actual problem was, running hot and not overheating it would have saved everybody a lot of time.

The fan clutch doesn't engage when the engine overheats. If it did then it would be too late. It engages when it becomes too warm, which should be long before the point of overheating.

Thanks barry for clarification, but my point is when gauge goes above the normal ideal temperature, clutch SHOULD engage fully and bring the temperature down. Am I correct?

Yes but it might not always engage at the same level on the temperature hand. Maybe one time it will come on at 60%, next time it might not come on to 65 or 70%.

The reason is that the temperature gauge is measuring the actual temperature of the coolant. Fan activation is not controlled by coolant temperature, it's controlled by air temperature in the engine bay.

1 minute ago, Barry said:

Yes but it might not always engage at the same level on the temperature hand. Maybe one time it will come on at 60%, next time it might not come on to 65 or 70%.

The reason is that the temperature gauge is measuring the actual temperature of the coolant. Fan activation is not controlled by coolant temperature, it's controlled by air temperature in the engine bay.

Of course, I do understand that point, but this clutch hasn't engaged once in almost 2-3 hours of overheating/warmed up temperature gauge. I have to switch off the AC and turn the heater full on to let the engine cool down at 3K revs every now and then.