•  
Advertise here

Pajero Fuel Mileage

I did a trip from abu dhabi to al ain and was trying different speeds to see which gave me the best mileage. Mine is 3.8 LWB 2008 model. The car was empty and just me driving.

Scenario 1: driving at 90km/h gave me 9.3km/l 

Scenario 2: driving at 110 km/h gave me 8.9km/l

Any comments on whether these numbers are good or bad and I will check the spark plugs, filter and tyre pressure and oil.

What is the ideal tyre pressure for city driving? 35 psi?

at different engine rpms you get different peaks extracted speeds to the wheels through the drivetrain

so the basic idea is not to push that throttle too hard that it goes guzzling fuel and you getting lower bang for you fuel and buck...

i usually do up to 2k rpm and the speed at most i get is around 90kms max with my car it wont go up in a jiffy but slowly after shifting through all the gears it will reach there and i get around 500kms to 550kms per tank of fuel with a/c and without a/c respectively and the tank full is setting me back 85dhs...

so different engine run efficiently at different rpms you just have to figure out yours by experimenting or by looking up the specs sheet of that engine...then last but not least there are other factors like weight ,pressure,aerodynamics,age and condition of engine and drivetrain...

most of the time you waste fuel at idle and in stop and go traffic as you are at lower gears so for more rpms you get less distance travelled as opposed to in higher gear...

P.S do these things while in the second or last track or else you will get in trouble with others who are in hurry....

eplus builds deposit in engines which is not good for it....there are some engine specially designed to run on 85 ethanol but pajero engine is not one of it.....what i do is fill only special with occasional super tank in between...

The lower the octane level the more fuel is burnt, the higher the octane level more difficult to burn fuel. E plus has 91 octane, whereas special has 95 and super is 98 octane. Bigger engine needs higher octane to burn fuel slowly. If you use E plus than fuel is burnt quickly and at times will leave a knocking on your engine.

Just my 2 fils.

• Confused (0) 1

3 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

The lower the octane level the more fuel is burnt, the higher the octane level more difficult to burn fuel. E plus has 91 octane, whereas special has 95 and super is 98 octane. Bigger engine needs higher octane to burn fuel slowly. If you use E plus than fuel is burnt quickly and at times will leave a knocking on your engine.

Just my 2 fils.

I sorry RD that information is factually incorrect. Octane reduces premature detonation otherwise know as pinging i.e can withstand more compression, its preferable in performance motors because of their high compression motors. 

3 minutes ago, desertdude said:

I sorry RD that information is factually incorrect. Octane reduces premature detonation otherwise know as pinging i.e can withstand more compression, its preferable in performance motors because of their high compression motors. 

English please. I don't speak mechanic @desertdude

8.9 is pretty good mileage for Pajero and I hope these are the full fuel tank reading and not just random straight road couple of kms reading.

I do have Pajero and being very old tech my best is

• 9.4 kmpl on total highway (full tank)
  • Worst is 4 kmpl on total offroad (full tank)
  • Average is 7 kmpl - Mix use(full tank)

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

10 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

English please. I don't speak mechanic @desertdude

Pre detonation is when the fuel ignites from the compression in the engine before the spark plug fires. Like a diesel, kind of.

Performance engines tend to have higher compression and are more susceptible to pre det so need a higher octane rating. Turbo engines also. 

Always good to use the fuel recommended by the manufacturer but a general rule of thumb is that an octane rating over 95 is for sports and turbocharged cars. By sports cars I mean Ferraris and stuff, not GT86s or Miatas. It’s just a waste of money buying expensive fuel when you don’t need it. 

let me take out my battle axe and war hammer now....

actually barry there is a use minor only but sure there is a use for it...these engine's and its ecu is designed to run on special fuel so when you are using the super fuel in a very minor scale its running a bit rich which in turn runs a bit higher then normal temperature at the chamber and exhaust...i have seen some black chips out of exhaust when revving with super fuel...it should have been some carbon deposit somewhere that's the idea i have for it...