•  
Advertise here

Liwa Crossing - 1-2 Dec 2017

2 hours ago, NOOR OMAR said:

Good day to all ... 

Winch on my car is fixed. Also, thank you for your suggestion to camp one more day, I am in. 

Awesome Noor, now Im not pressurized to get winch as at least we have one winch working for Liwa crossing. Good stuff buddy.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, Mujtaba said:

I am also joining is there anything I have to do 

I am getting my clutch changed by saleem and irradiate the hot oil message problem. Already ordered the part. 

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but this drive is not ideal for newbie and fewbies. This liwa crossing requires certain level of long-term exposure to serious dunes that really test your patience, skills, and determination. I would definitely rate any driver who have driven with us for 10-15 drives atleast without any major incident is fit for such crossing.

Nevertheless, this is the first Liwa drive of this season and we will definitely have many more to come. I suggest you be regular on carnity drives which gives you enough time to test your ride and its health and also give us enough confidence in your driving skills in difficult terrains.

• Thanks (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, everyone, for joining on this great and ambitious Liwa crossing drive (attempt).

Six cars fully loaded with max water, fuel, food, and excitement showed up at the meeting point. All cars have been personally verified for all safety gears and car health. With little delay and misunderstanding in initial movement of the convoy, we all reached the deflation point by 10 PM with 2-3 hours of delay. As soon as we reached the last adnoc, we refueled our cars and immediately head to the camping spot in the nearby vicinity. As we gathered there, we have been treated with world's best veg and non-veg home-made biryani from Asif bhai, nice snacks and brownies from Sri and Mridula. After endless serving, we all were bloated and started pitching our camps to crash early for much awaited Liwa crossing.

After 4 hours of sound sleep, we all woke-up and packed up our camps and cars and then treated with an amazingly healthy breakfast from Noor with nice hot tea to start our drive. As soon as we started our drive we showered with dense fog, that limited the whole convoy visibility so we shifted to the near-by tarmac to cover the same distance. After the fog settled down, we actually hit our planned waypoints where 1-4 waypoints gave us enough thrills and high-speed sabka driving. We had a couple of nasty stuck's, pop-outs and insane climbs for our fully loaded cars on an expedition style drive, but all of the team managed everything very well and reacted to all difficulties with great teamwork and support.

Out of the 15 waypoints marked for the whole Liwa crossing, we could only cover till 4th waypoint as after that we were hit with the fenced area by oryx natural conservation department, and after many failed attempts, we couldn't find any opening to go across those fences. This was the practically an end of our crossing now when we were stuck behind the 4th waypoint and losing time every second to make the crossing even more difficult. After a bit of break and energized with fresh fruits from Rahim bhai, we all voted for another alternate plan. So we all opted to head for the road, inflate again and reach to Hamim for refueling and then head to Tal Moreb area for playing in most sumptuous Moreeb dunes in Liwa area.

As we exited on the road and started heading towards Hamim, we reached to the last point of UAE that has Oman on our left side and Saudi border in front, where the road turns to the right within UAE. What a magical moment to be standing at the border of three great countries. After few kms, we left with no road in front of us and as advised from Adnoc camp base on right side to follow the gravel path for 30 kms to reach to tarmac that will take us to Hamim. Initially, everyone was reluctant to drive, but as we were left with no choice so we have to take that track by engaging our 4x4 gears on inflated tires (eeww). After couple of kms, that track turned into the sand track and there started the real fun of driving at 80-100 kmph speed to not to get stuck and still climb up and descend down with huge dunes on both sides. It was a feel of Dakar rally style, that we witness on video and now we tasted in real life, fortunately. All cars suspension check was complete after this highly abusive 30 kms track, as everyone stepped out with an amazing smile and broken back. After a bit of stretching, we hit the tarmac again to reach to Hamim with an amazing view of tallest sand dunes on both sides of the road.

After reaching Hamim, we refueled our cars and had a quick lunch with ready-made long-life Parantha's and then straight away head to Tal Moreeb area, for witnessing the tallest and steepest hill climb dune in the UAE, where all championship level monster trucks participate in world-famous Moreeb hill challenge. As we reached to Tal Moreeb, to our surprise it was open for everyone to make an attempt (unlike last few times). After taking enough photos and videos from a distance, we thought of making an attempt to climb this enormous climb to test our stock vehicles. After several attempts, we could only reach 50% of the climb and not anymore with our over-loaded stock vehicles. As the sun about set now, so we left with last hour to play in that Moreeb dunes, and to my surprise, all our cars and drivers did an amazing job and managed that humongous dunes area very well without any major incident.

After the quick short drive in Moreeb dunes, we lay our head to camp for the second night (optional) and half of the cars went back to home and other half stayed for the full moon camping without the camping light. Now with the relaxed mind, we all shared awesome stories and life/wife philosphieeees.....! Noor once again kept us entertaining with the bonfire and quick food to munch until we crash. One of the best overnight camping night I had in a long time in such an amazing weather, company and location. In the morning, we packed our camps and headed back to Dubai and Abu Dhabi after a lazy breakfast by 10 AM.

Overall, this plan to do Liwa crossing from Al Quaa - Hamim has been failed but this failure comes with a lot of new lessons learned. These lessons will make all of us more prepared and planned for next Liwa crossing/drives in the future. Just FYI, Asif bhai already started researching in finding a trail without a fence to make a second attempt for Liwa crossing and we should be doing the second run anytime soon.

• Like (+1) 4

Great trip report @Gaurav.

Ever since we hit the fence on the drive I was trying to find a break in fence and that fence traces for more than 100's of km. The only point that I found it free is the below location, but to reach here we will need to find another entry point. Maybe an input to be worked on.

My Images have been uploaded to the Gallery, in case someone notices I switch to taking more of the landscapes now than people who don't really care about memories.

This pattern will increase more with time if still everyone is just interested in drives (only).

https://carnity.com/gallery/category/54-liwa-crossing-1-2-dec-2017/