•  
Advertise here

Hi Guys,

I am up for installing some LED bars on the roof of my Pajero. When i search online, i come across a broad price range. I see similar looking models for either 200 AED up to 1,200AED. Of course i can imagine this is partly branding, party quality, etc..

Does anybody know a decent brand that's affordable or has good or bad experiences with the cheaper ones ? With the climate here i don't want the things to fall off after one summer :)

No issues with RTA or should i cover them up before the inspection ?

I went to have a look in Sharjah already but the moment they see my face (westerner), the price goes up to a level that i would prefer ordering them online and fitting them myself.

Thanks

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

The top one cost me 450 AED from Dragon Mart, brand name Toby's. Fitting = 200 from Aweer

Bumper small one cost me 250 with installation from Sharjah.

No matter what size, but go with CREE bulbs (top one) as the normal LED bulb (bumper one) has 2-3 times difference in the fraction of the cost.

For Passing definitely, cover or RTA will fail, mine failed just last week.

DSC_8394.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

• 3 months later...

Reviving an old topic, but with Night desert drive expecting to start from next month onwards I am looking to get some LED bars installed. Those who have already installed or have some experience, if you could give your feedback on the below points:

1. If I have to install only at one place, i.e., near the headlights or on the top, which one should I go for?

2. If you suggest the top one, there can be some glare. So what is the normal distance that you position the LED bar from the top of the front windshield.

3. Do you suggest to put a spread light or a focused light. Not sure if I have got the right terminology.

Unfortunately, my night eyesight is not the best and I do have issues with bright lights as well. So glare of lights is a big concern for me.

Just some more information, is that I drive a dark green color vehicle where light might not get reflected off the bonnet as much as in a white or silver colored car.

• Haha (+1) 1

You know my light bar. For me i am pretty happy with it. It is good enough for night drives so far. If you are planing to lead, than you may need bigger one on the top. For following the group mine is good enough for me. This Friday you can drive around and see how you will feel with it. Also lately @EmVarlet put new light bar to his car, as i see he is having on the corners spread light middle focused light. I am thinking it will be better than mine which i only have focused light as i understand with my limited knowledge. 

large.DSC_0057.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

From my limited experience of last season, I got the bumper one first that only helped me to enhance the headlight vision with more detailing and white light. Then I opted for the second bar on top and that made the whole world changed in night driving and boosted my confidence of night lead from 50% to 5000% literally, as I can see things well within a 500 meters like dune formation, dips, sand pattern, ridges, a soft patch in night.

If you going for one, I HIGHLY suggest to go for the top one and get the biggest possible you can accommodate on top - 42 -52 Inch.

Glare will be there, but try to position with the light on and without installing as to find the best place for the least amount of glare. Too back on roof, you will have bounce on roof and max light will be wasted. Too out will have light flush on bonnet and blind the driver. So before installing find that sweet spot and ask the guy to fabricate a bracket for that GOLDEN spot.

For spot or spread, choose the bar that has mix of both means last 6-8 bulbs on both sides are spread and curved out and rest all 70% bulbs are spot in front. Have a look at my top bar to understand what I am saying.

Last but not least go only for CREE bulbs, no matter what. They are amazingly bright than the regular ones.

Spread.JPG

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, desertdude said:

Do what the Camel Trophy Discovery's did. matt black the hood to cut out glare

I don't think you have to go that far, as I'm driving silver color with the bare minimal glare. So position it right and you will enjoy it.

I installed 2 on the roof on the existing brackets from the former sunvisor unit.

Gaurav is right, the CREE leds are far superior. I've got them through Souq at around 250 each and bought the cable-loom seperately on desertcart (60dhs) which consisted of cabling, fuse, relay, and switch. That made the installation a breeze. Make sure the cabling is thick enough, because these things draw a lot of current (240 Watts total @12V = 20 Amps)

The only thing i am suffering from is the whistling noise while i am driving on the highway. I tried adjusting them, but to no avail. I resolved it by increasing the volume of the sound system :)

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

3 hours ago, Frederic Nuyttens said:

The only thing i am suffering from is the whistling noise while i am driving on the highway. I tried adjusting them, but to no avail. I resolved it by increasing the volume of the sound system :)

I suffered from this whistling too, but thanks to RTA who forced me to cover it and after that, that whistling noise is gone as it has sealed the small gap below the light and bracket. Cover cost me 60 for big light and 40 for small.