•  
Advertise here

Cars you regret not buying

Barry

Has anyone ever passed over a car in favor of something else, only to regret it later?

I have a few but one springs to mind. A yellow Ford Capri Mk3. Just after I passed my driving test at 17, my then girlfriend talked me out of it and I always regretted it. Becoming a fast appreciating classic now.

IMG_0364.JPG

I once passed up a Triumph Stag in mint condition in favor of a slightly used V6 Alfa GTV. Worst mistake of my life that was... 

Had a choice of two cars: Triumph Dolomite Sprint or a Fiat 131 Supermirafiori. Drove them both and liked them, although I did prefer the Dolomite. But because the interior of the Fiat was better, it swayed my decision and it was the Fiat. 

Then it rained..... like it does often in the UK. The car was on casters, every chance it had, it broke free. Change the tyres for P6, no dam difference. Saved some pennies and part-ex the car. 

• Like (+1) 1

I helped rebuild a stag before. It was a nice old thing but I remember it always had issues with running hot. 

I always liked the fiat 131. Never owned a fiat. In fact, I don’t think I ever had an Italian car. Reliability was always an issue. 

I once refused the Range Rover deal for 5k more than my set price in mind, and I regret that till today as it was super clean and low mileage car. I offered him 10k extra than the market, but owner was expecting 15k premium....!

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

My grandfather had to sell his mint condition VW beetle when I was 15. I wanted to buy it and keep it until I was old enough to get my permit but I didn't. He sold it to a young guy that was flabbergasted to find a car in that condition. 

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I once hacked up a soft dash Range Rover for scrap. Also hacked up a series landrover and scrapped it to get the axles out for resale. Maybe some people would think I'm crazy but when you come from a country where it's always raining and they put salt on the roads for 3-4 months of the year, sometimes there's nothing left to save. Sad really. You rarely see anything over 10-12 years getting used daily. All the old stuff is mostly garage queens. All because people can't handle a little bit of snow and cry for the government to put salt everywhere. 

Yup, see that on a lot of forums, people always fighting off or repairing rust on their old. Fortunately we don't have to worry about such stuff nowadays. In 80s I remember rust was a bit of an issue here, not any more.

• Gaurav featured this topic

I always got lucky and never regret any of my buys. My first car was a Handa Civic DX 1991 model manual everything, even glasses, no power stearing, no cry, loved it.

My second one was a Mitsubishi Eclipse GSR4 1990 model with Turbo, manual and tuned by AMG,, AWD, my favorite most.

Once I got married I had to sell it and buy a Toyota Echo in 2001 which I drove for 7 years, trouble free car and gave me a good resale value within no time of posting the ad.

2008 is when I wanted to go off-roading so bought myself a Jeep Commander 5.7 Hemi, what a beast and my first taste of American luxury and the Jeep off-roading DNA.

2011 I sold the 5.7 Hemi for a 3.9 V8 Land Rover Discovery 1998 model, British Luxury at its best. This is when I really learned to drive in the sands.

2011 also I bought a Renault Clio 2008 model which I loved but destroyed in 2009 with no insurance.

2012 I bought the Renault Megane, drive was fantastic, but I hate the dealership and they really hurt me bad, loved the car, hated the expense in maintaining it, lost loads on the resale value and that was the only bitter experience about the buy.

2016 my current R50 Nissan Pathfinder 2001 model, very basic, very capable.

• Like (+1) 1