•  
Advertise here

Total Newbie... help please

Hey all,

I am a total noob, not just with an FJ but with cars in general - I am a typical "if it broke take it to the dealer" kinda guy. But am hoping to change that with my FJ and get a bit more hands on - so to speak!  That being said...  I found a post about the crazy traction control noise and will try some of the solves to get rid of it and enjoy the dune bashing!

However, I still need some more help please...

I have a bunch of kit on the car that I do not know what it is used for... so hoping that someone would be able to assist... photo's attached!

Also, for some reason every time I turn the car off the clock resets (along with the compass so get the irritating flashing compass light), I have no interior lighting and my spots do not work - feel like there is an electrics issue or perhaps a fuse or two needs replacing?

fun times...

IMG_8189.JPG

IMG_8191.JPG

For sure you have an electrical issue or installation of the non-compliant product like your Piranha Battery protector that must be switching off everything after the certain time to save battery. Read here: http://www.piranhaoffroad.com.au/product/dual-battery-management/battery-monitors-protectors

Second one looks like a dash cam or GPS antenna. Post a close-up pic for better understanding.

Thirdly for your traction, google or search here on how to switch off traction control completely, as some cars have VSC / traction button to control traction with click or push or long press of a button.

For driving and enjoying your FJC in sand, you can join the carnity off road club, created by one of the most seasoned off-roader having 10+ years experience in desert driving and training. 

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

The previous owner liked his gadgets. From the picture of the front screen you have a GPS & TV antennas. Plus battery management which suggests he did not want the battery to drain beyond a level they could not start the engine.

If you have use for these gadgets, then use them. If not removed them and repair the wiring as required.

Check the fuses and hopefully your electrical problems should be repaired.

As for the Traction Control, Gaurav previous comments has covered the main points.

Happy motoring. May I say the Off-Road Club is worthwhile joining to learn desert driving with safety.

• Like (+1) 1

Battery protector is overkill. Far better just to stick in an old school voltage/charging gauge and use your brain. If you’re in the desert and the heat is going to kill your battery, no fancy tech will save it. GPS and satellite phone is a far better option so you can call for rescue. 

• Like (+1) 1

Welcome @smartphreak,.

Everybody has already said everything there is to be said. So looking forward to seeing you in the sands soon and like I say, you need to gel in with your car, just like your car needs to gel in with you and deliver you exactly what you need.