•  

My First Experience as Newbie

Rahimdad

What did you enjoy about the drive?

The perfect organization and clear communication, and the proper briefing which is essential for every newbie. And of course the adrenaline of tackling the dunes !

Which part of the drive you think you enjoyed the best which you would like to repeat?

The track had a very good combination of an easy start to find the harmony in the convoy, followed by a few more trickier areas where i found out that getting stuck is perfectly normal and there is almost always a way out. The best advice was indeed getting out of the car, having a talk or smoke while assessing the situation at hand, and only then decide which technique to use to get out of your tricky situation. I've used that technique already and again it proved to be essential to remain calm and composed.

Do you think there was a good mix of lecture and practical, was the lecture too long, and any part that can be avoided or done in a shorter or different way?

The briefing was very well documented and all basic topics were discussed. For newbies a proper briefing is definitely mandatory to avoid the possible dangers around the corner.

Do you think anything else could be added to the lecture?

I had the impression that some newbies struggled a bit with the 4WD settings on their car. Modern cars have many electronics and switching off the traction and electronic aid controls is indeed necessary for desert driving. A small separate workshop for 4WD and the different diff-lock settings, crawl modes, and the blip technique might be a good optional side-training.

Do you think prior reading material would help?

In my opinion every one that wants to become a part of an offroad community should master the theory, understand his car and its various settings, and read as much as possible as there is so much info available on the net. This gives at least some foundation and will definitely bring newbies faster up to fewbie level.

Would you know where on the Carnity forum you would be able to find the information you are looking for?

Yes, the forum is well arranged and the search function can be used at all times.

Is there anything you think could be done in a better way?

The team was very supportive, friendly, and approachable. In a place like Dubai where a lot seems to be about the material side of things, i was relieved to find a group of friends that prefer values like friendship and respect over anything. Many clubs in the UAE can learn from this !

How do you suggest to make things better for the new comers? How do you think you can progress within the current atmosphere and learning opportunities provided?

The absolute beginner drive was definitely well organised. I will do my utmost best to join more drives in the near future and it might be interesting to have something like a "beginner family introduction day" where family could join in and see what this fantastic group is all about :) This could be like a half day with some easy dunes, followed by a camel farm visit and BBQ / snacks. 

Edited by Frederic Nuyttens
  • Like (+1) 7

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Frederic Nuyttens thank you so much for your positive comments, suggestions. Definitely you have got some very useful advice and we will try to implement some of it in the coming weeks.

• Like (+1) 5

How  much did you enjoy your first drive?

It was very goo and enjoyable day which got better and better as I reminisced and told my friends about the day.

What did you enjoy about the drive? 

good intro to the desert and Very easy to some challenging( at least to me) bits in the drive.

Which part of the drive you think you enjoyed the best which you would like to repeat? 

I enjoyed the whole experience.

i would like to repeat the challenging bits and get the experience how to get out by myself using all the techniques from the brief and during the drive

Do you think there was a good mix of lecture and practical, was the lecture too long, and any part that can be avoided or done in a shorter or different way? Do you think anything else could be added to the lecture?

The lecture was great and I cannot see anyway of making it shorter as all the info given were necessary for newbies

Rahimbhai did send links to safe driving, safety kit, and how to get out of sticky stuff etc.

i read all this after my first drive.

i am sure it helps to have some info prior.

Would you know where on the Carnity forum you would be able to find the information you are looking for?

I usually use the search button to get what info I need.

it is reasonably easy to navigate in the site.

Everything done was good

How do you suggest to make things better for the new comers?

My suggestion might be for newbies is to give a live practical demo of getting stuck in the sand and how to get out and what happens when you over Rev and how gently feather the throttle to rock and blip blip etc to get out.

i did not realise being inside the car how much over revving I was doing and spinning the tyres and sinking deeper into the sand.

How do you think you can progress within the current atmosphere and learning opportunities provided? 

To join for further drives with the group and hopefully one day grasp what was taught on the briefing and drive

• Like (+1) 4

• 1 month later...

How  much did you enjoy your first drive?

It was amazing!!! I never thought that driving across dunes can be so much fun!!

What did you enjoy about the drive

The drive and terrain+route picked up by @Rahimdad was perfect for a first timer. He along with Srikumar & Atif ensured that we all have adrenaline rushing moments in a safe and controlled manner. They showed utmost care and were patient all throughout the ride.

Hahaha… It was for me the refusal I had twice at the same spot!! Srikumar did explain it to me later in the evening about the wrongs I did and would love to go there once again to see if I can make it through this time around…

Do you think there was a good mix of lecture and practical, was the lecture too long, and any part that can be avoided or done in a shorter or different way? Do you think anything else could be added to the lecture?

Not that I can think of.

I guess its already up on the forums.

Yes

I don’t think so. It was very nicely managed by the entire Carnity team.

How do you suggest to make things better for the new comers?

For me as a newbie, I cannot ask for anything better. I believe you had all the bases covered.

How do you think you can progress within the current atmosphere and learning opportunities provided? 

I believe if I can keep attending the drives, it would help.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

• 1 month later...

How much did you enjoy your first drive? Emil. It was an awesome experience after being a passenger with rahim bhai on the first day. I was waiting to try the tips he gave.

What did you enjoy about the drive? Emil. Driving down the steep dunes and most importantly aloo paratta at the end of the drive.

Which part of the drive you think you enjoyed the best which you would like to repeat? Emil. Cutting the dunes.

Do you think there was a good mix of lecture and practical, was the lecture too long, and any part that can be avoided or done in a shorter or different way? Yes, not long, nothing I can think of.

Do you think anything elese could be added to the lecture? Nothing at the moment.

Do you think prior reading material would help? yes, more videos on website for a newbie will be helpful. Like descent tips, approaching a dune etc. 

Would you know where on the Carnity forum you would be able to find the information you are looking for? Not fully aware.

Is there anything you think could be done in a better way? Nope.

How do you suggest to make things better for the new comers? Totally appreciate your guidance to a newbie especially on getting the flag, clamp, inflators, deflator etc. 

How do you think you can progress within the current atmosphere and learning opportunities provided? Continuously learning.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 2 months later...

It was really amazing experience with the experts like @Rahimdad @GauravI felt like I was going n a team where I always ( never felt like I am new to the team) frankly speaking I personally have some kind of resistance to mingle with new people and that resistance was not there when I meet with the team thanks to all of you for accepting me in and for the drive.

i have done earlier few small drives alone and with my office colleagues and it was still I can say just an learner stage and when I start with carnity the way it was organized was fantastic like startup briefing what we  call in our industry is tool box talk and the discipline of team members was amazing. Hope I have followed the instructions and willing to join upcoming drives as far as possible   

• Like (+1) 6

• 2 weeks later...

It was a first time for me today and being an absolute newbee, i wasnt sure in the begining if i had made a right choice tagging along with this group. But the day was full of suprises, and loads of fun. Firstly i would like to thank @Rahimdad & @Gaurav and not to forget @Eduardo and the others( sorry forgot their names) who really made my day. the whole day was perfectly organised. got stuck twice and superman Gaurav was there in a blink to tell me what do do next. and voila!! all solved in a second. the amazing thing was not just the drive alone. it was also the passion we could see in these people in regards to being helpful. i have come across many people organising a lot of events. but these people were with you in every aspect when needed. They emphasized so much on safety and i thank them for it. i would like to thank Asif also for the broadcast and assistance.

in Short i dont know if its the people today or if its the drive that was the best. Lets give it a tie. Both the people and the drive today were the best . i am looking forward to be on the next drive very soon. cant wait to deflate my tires again :-)

Edited by razeen hasan
missed a few nice worlds
  • Like (+1) 6

@razeen hasan thanks for your valuable feedback, it really means a lot to see how newbie perceive and how we can improvise.

Just for FYI for every newbie, @Asif Hussain is a backbone of this offroad club and not just managing the WhatsApp broadcast messaging. He is a very senior member and an awesome offroader who has been recently off the grid due to changing his offroad ride.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

19 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

@razeen hasan thanks for your valuable feedback, it really means a lot to see how newbie perceive and how we can improvise.

Just for FYI for every newbie, @Asif Hussain is a backbone of this offroad club and not just managing the WhatsApp broadcast messaging. He is a very senior member and an awesome offroader who has been recently off the grid due to changing his offroad ride.

Dear @Gaurav it was indeed a pleasure. Please keep us posted if any newbie ride is planned in the upcoming public holiday which may fall either on 2nd or 3rd April. It was real fun and the best thing is we learn a lot on being patient. Though we rule the roads, we realize that the desert rules us. 

• Like (+1) 7

• adildbx changed the title to My First Experience as Newbie
  • Gaurav pinned this topic

Important Information

Terms of use