Best 4x4 cars | Dune bashing | Off road driving | Off road drives | Off road gears and recovery tools | Radio frequencies |

Rahimdad

First experience as a Newbie - Feedback

A bit late to report on my first ride with you guys, but here it goes

-Pre-ride : 

• The website is easy to understand and registering for a ride is very straightforward
  • All the info on required gear and preparation is already on the website, very well organized and extremely easy to find.
  • The ranking system is clear and shows that the club has a serious structure and can be trusted - it is an extreme sport is some ways!

-During the ride

• Great brief by @Rahimdad , @Srikumar & @Emmanuel  -> Felt at ease from the start, everything was covered in details from driving techniques, recovery methods, to safety measures
  • After 20 minutes of riding on my first dunes, I got to experience my first self-recovery with the expert help of @Srikumar guiding me on how to master the 'bleep bleep' technique! I got out in 30 seconds !
  • At this point, I was getting fed up with my traction control and @hossein showed me the lights, literally! He showed me what fuse to remove to completely disable the traction control & abs 😄. After that, I felt the power,:) all the lights came on my dashboard (the xmass lights) & I was able to make my first jump 🤣🤣
  • The break was great and I got to meet & share a meal with most of the regulars that I see on a weekly basis now.
  • Following the break, the convoy was eager to drive more so we drove for an additional 1h30 and I believe that it was at that point that was hooked 😂
  • We arrived at our deflation point and @Srikumar was kind enough to lend me his compressor so I can get going! 
  • I got home safely and at no point whatsoever during the drive, I felt unsafe or at risk like with some other clubs that I tried later on.
  • @Rahimdad's lead was excellent for newbies with a good learning curve from start to finish.

-After the ride 

• It was great to find all the pictures on the gallery, you keep a trace of each ride and I now try to take as much as I can and share! 
  • Discussing the drive and getting tips was even more natural to do on the forum since I knew most of the guys responding, and it's a way to keep in contact between two drives!

Sorry it's a long one ! 

Edited by edouard
  • Like 8

@edouard it's never too late. Thank you for your feedback. We have improved over time due to feedback like yours. Never too long also, well written and feel like going on reading more.

• Like 3

What did you enjoy about the drive?

The desert track. 

Which part of the drive you think you enjoyed the best which you would like to repeat?

Going down Fossil Rock

Do you think there was a good mix of lecture and practical, was the lecture too long, and any part that can be avoided or done in a shorter or different way?

I remember thinking the lecture was very slow, it took a long time to go through the points, maybe if a video is created with all (or most of the points) and ask that all the newbies (or everyone) to watch it before the trip would make things faster at the briefing site. Perhaps asking some questions to make sure they watch the video. 

Do you think anything else could be added to the lecture?

It is pretty comprehensive as it is already. 

Do you think prior reading material would help?

Yes, it is not only about having fun, it is also about taking it seriously for everyone's safety.

Would you know where on the Carnity forum you would be able to find the information you are looking for?

Yes, although I mainly use the forum to share the little knowledge I gathered while growing up around cars being designed, fixed and tested.

Is there anything you think could be done in a better way?

I would suggest to make the briefing a bit faster. 

How do you suggest to make things better for the new comers? How do you think you can progress within the current atmosphere and learning opportunities provided?

Have a presentation video of what carnity is and what to expect during the drive, and what is expected from them. 

Or just some written literature they should read before joining the drive. 

• Like 3

For replying to this topic, please

• Similar Content

• By Rahimdad
      After a super exciting fun intermediate drive I would like to propose a relaxed night drive for all level of drivers to enjoy. It's time to self-drive your 4X4 to venture through the desert safely with offroad experts. Its time to enjoy an evening drive and in fresh sand dunes to challenge your senses and 4x4, with the best offroad enthusiasts in UAE.
      As the summer has arrived we will be having night drives now, so let's thrill all your senses. This drive will also enable us to gear up and learn important aspects of desert driving in the nights, as it would be easier for newbies to join in night drives after this nicely paced drive.
      When: 30 May 2019
      Meeting time: 11 PM, the convoy will move at sharp 11:15 PM
      Where: Adnoc Petrol Station Maleha Road
      GPS Coordinate: https://goo.gl/maps/H2jguQQocz4gNCKY7
      Level: Absolute Newbie, Newbie, more experienced drivers welcome to join to support this drive.
      Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 10 inches of ground clearance.
      Plan: Drive, train and enjoy till about 3 am break for Suhoor and end the drive by 5 am
      What to bring along: Snacks, Suhoor meal whatever you like with little extra to share, water, liquids, smiles, stories, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.
      Approximate finish time: 5:00 am
      Please RSVP on the below calendar:
    • By Rahimdad
      As most of you must have noticed I had been away for a while. Guess what I am back. I had the honor of joining and driving with the best last Thursday night on a somewhat challenging terrain which was well managed by all, and now I am itching for some more. So this time keeping in the zone of re-discovering some challenging terrain, I am launching this drive as an exploration of an area I have not explored properly, just been in and out of this area. Sometimes when heading towards Jabal Jais through the Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Road E311 I have noticed some lip smacking dunes and I was briefly in and it has left me wanting to explore this area further. As it is evident that I am not fully aware of this terrain although all are invited to sign up for the drive, but only the first 10 cars which have the kind of experience to handle such a drive as per my experience will be selected for the drive, no more than 10 cars will be selected. leaving Gaurav Bhai and myself out of the equation there are 8 spots available out of which I would prefer at least 1 more experienced driver to control the convoy in this new terrain.
    • By Rahimdad
      As most of you must have noticed I had been away for a while. Guess what I am back. I had the honor of joining and driving with the best last Thursday night on a somewhat challenging terrain which was well managed by all, and now I am itching for some more. So this time keeping in the zone of re-discovering some challenging terrain, I am launching this drive as an exploration of an area I have not explored properly, just been in and out of this area. Sometimes when heading towards Jabal Jais through the Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Road E311 I have noticed some lip smacking dunes and I was briefly in and it has left me wanting to explore this area further. As it is evident that I am not fully aware of this terrain although all are invited to sign up for the drive, but only the first 10 cars which have the kind of experience to handle such a drive as per my experience will be selected for the drive, no more than 10 cars will be selected. leaving Gaurav Bhai and myself out of the equation there are 8 spots available out of which I would prefer at least 1 more experienced driver to control the convoy in this new terrain.

If interested please sign up for this opportunity to explore and keep your eyes glued to the forum to check if you are the selected one.
      Thursday night drive:
      Date: 03 August, 2017
      Meeting point : Tasjeel Village Sharjah on Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Road E311 (https://goo.gl/maps/Pc92zQvf5hS2)
      Meeting time : 23:00 PM
      Plan: Lets drive from the petrol station through E311 till we find an suitable entry spot, deflate and explore the area which seems to be full of exciting dunes and challenges..
      Basic recovery equipment such as 2 way radio, flag and air compressor are very important and carry lots of water and some snacks to share on the trip. Absolute compulsory to bring your stories, sense of humor and willingness to learn and follow instructions during the drive.
      Rahimdad - 050-6749099 Srikumar - 055 9567471 Asif - 050 6990411   Gaurav - 050 5258706  

• By Rahimdad
      Time flies. It seems just a few drives back we were doing Ramadan night drives and its once again that time of the year again. So I am pleased to post the first night Suhoor drive for 2019. Plan is to have an easy relaxed newbie night drive from Tawi Nizwa to Pink rock area or Bidayer if everyone manages well. It's a perfect drive for newbies and fewbies to learn in the best terrain that gradually transforms and offers plenty of opportunities to learn and play. In the end, we will settle down in a good spot to have Suhoor before the dawn and return to tarmac before the sunrise.
      When: 9 May 2019, Thursday
      Meeting time: 11:00 PM, the convoy will move sharply at 11:15 PM
      Where: Tawi Nizwa Shops
      GPS Coordinate: https://goo.gl/maps/yYkFvPBzW3U2
      Level of drive: Newbie - Fewbie - All are welcome
      Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 10 inches of ground clearance.
      Plan: Drive, train and enjoy until about 3 AM, settle down have Suhoor and exit by 6 AM
      What to bring along: Loads of snacks, Suhoor meal, plenty of water - whatever you like with little extra to share, water, liquids, smiles, stories, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.
      Approximate finish time: 6 AM
    • By Rahimdad
      All the fewbie drivers are requested to share their feedback for their first fewbie drive after the promotion:
      Have you felt the difference between the newbie and fewbie level drive? How did the Newbie level briefing and training help you to develop your skill sets for the Fewbie level? Do you think 5 number of newbie drives was sufficient for you to be ready for fewbie level? Do you think it was necessary to attend newbie drives first to gain appropriate skills and confidence?  Which part (side sloping/ridge riding/crisscrossing) have you enjoyed the most in your first fewbie level drive? Did you learn something new at the Fewbie level or only bettered the skills you learned at the Newbie level? Any other comments you feel will help us to develop the new offroaders in a better way? Your feedback is highly appreciated and will help us develop a stronger and better offroad club.

Important Information

Terms of use