•  
Advertise here

Spacers and A/T Tires for Pajero

...my little car project is going on....i got my bull bar installed and a LED bar onto it and changed all bulbs inside and outside the car to LEDs as well...am so far happy with the results.

Now my attention goes towards the tires..mine are the stock version from Al Habtoor....they are about 3 years old and have 30k mileage...

- When do you guys change tires? - Is there an age limit where they dont pass anymore RTA vehicle testing and registration?

In due course i wanted to upgrade the tires to A/T´s (All Terrain) version.

Does anyone have experience or mounted the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 (LT 265/60R18)

I like this tire a lot, but am not sure how much the tire noise will increase during driving ?

I also wanted to use 50 mm spacers to take the rims a bit out..

Has anyone experience with spacers on their Pajero ? i would greatly appreciate and feedback..

Save Driving to ya all,

Saman

Bull bar and LED bulbs are strict no no from RTA passing point of view. LED bar is also no but you can get away by getting it removable cover.

Tires life depends of tire tread offered by the manufacturer. Every tire is different and some last for 20-30k (Dunlop / Bridgestone) and other goes up to 60k (Michelin).

I had BFG in my Patrol and they def look awesome but they are very heavy and very noisy. I definitely do not recommend them, unless you have serious engine mod as they restrict your off-road climb capabilities to a greater extent. Also, you need a very loud sound system or noise canceling headphone to counter the tire noise (I'm serious). I have done a couple of Liwa with 3+ hour road drive and I went almost deaf after that and kept on hearing humming for few hours. Heavy tires will also sip extra fuel.

Instead, you can go for Yokohama Geolander A/T having nice moderately aggressive tread that looks good and offers AWESOME off-road (Sand + Rock) performance and just produces tad extra noise than highway tread, which is acceptable. I'm using them for 5 years and changed to the second set of same tires last year. Many regular off-roaders have opted for same and you can verify that by checking the majority of FJC, Xterra, Cruisers, Patrols and Pajero running with them now even more than before.

Spacers are a good add-on for increasing the stability if you have a too high lift but just make sure you go with a good branded one and not fake / cheap ones as they wobble and impossible to balance correctly.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

50mm is a pretty big spacer. At that size, it would need to be hubcentric and even at that, it would need to be really well made as to not introduce vibration. Something to be aware of is that if you wildly space the wheels, any wheel or tyre defects or balancing issues will be greatly amplified and running with vibration long term can cause damage to wheel bearings, halfshafts and ABS sensors. 

• Like (+1) 2

Thank you Gaurav,

i have a pouch covering the LED bar. In Dubai there are so many Pajeros with bullbars coming directly from the Mitsubishi showroom installed.

I hope its ok, otherwise will be removed for passing RTA and be re-mounted.

After reading online the Geolanders receive a lot of appreciation and i think it will be my choice as well.

As for the spacers i think 30mm shall do the job as well. Didnt want to change my rims as they are in perfect condition.

Yes even the Habtoor fitted bullbar is not acceptable and they are removed during passing. 

I think @Rahimdad had a similar issue last year, please confirm sir.

Yes. My wife's Pajero has the bullbar and how hitch installed from So Habtoor Motors, but at the time of passing removed them, for the car passed and reinstalled them.

Yokohama Geolanders ATS are a good choice for aggressive tire thread look, are light and good choice for tires.

For the spacers do not get the Iranian home made ones, get proper branded Australian or American ones, but the tires should not be showing outside the car body, so you will have to change your fender flares also.

LESs inside the car no issues, but head lamps is a no for RTA unless they come factory installed. LED bar should be covered at the time of passing.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

I have been using BFG KO2 for the past 2 years and am very happy with them. They perform exceptionally off-road and I do not find the sound too much.

Not sure whether you guys are aware....the top of the range (no 1 spec) 3.8L Pajeros sold in Oman are with heavy sound dampening compared to other models sold here. I had enquired with the Dubai dealership too earlier and understood that they do not order any models with this extra sound dampening from Mitsubishi Motors.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks, Anand, for your input and I agree BFG is very good for off-road just the heavy noise and long hill climb in the desert is an issue due to its weight.

Forums worldwide are alight with how good these KO2 BFGs are, so there must be something to these, I know for all out sand performance ( and road ) my favs are the Michelin LTXs, quite smooth and light on the tarmac and very soft flexible rubber that really spreads your weight and grips the slippery stuff. 

I think if you are really not attempting to take part in any hill climb competitions and like a mix of offroading, as in desert and mountain, I think the BGFs ahould be good, they might be slightly heavier on average but that also means a tougher tread and sidewalls which means less prone to sidewall cuts and punctures while on sharp rocks. 

Tyres come with a time and km limit whichever is earlier i.e Odo reading alone should not be the deciding factor for changing the tyre. Tyres become harder as temperature fluctuates and even if you have a lower Odo reading which is the case here.You should consider changing the tyre if you have had them for 2 years.

Now on the tyre brands we need to be aware that most of the brands now outsource their business with their specification. One of the lesser known brands would be Maxxis which has given me a satisfactory performance till date. So as an alternate to the big names you can go in for them which would be a value for money proposition.

Check out the Maxxis Tyre Review in Australia. The tyre name from Maxxis that you are looking is called Trepador. I have had conversations with couple of land cruisers owners who were happy with the brand. This was important for me to make a decision on the brand change