•  
Advertise here

The movie club

Barry

I watched a pink floyd documentary a while back. It showed how they made the song “money”. Hours and hours of cutting and pasting tape and looping and relooping it. You can do that now in 5 minutes on a pc. Really puts it into perspective the amount of work that went into older music and makes you appreciate it more. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Barry said:

I watched a pink floyd documentary a while back. It showed how they made the song “money”. Hours and hours of cutting and pasting tape and looping and relooping it. You can do that now in 5 minutes on a pc. Really puts it into perspective the amount of work that went into older music and makes you appreciate it more. 

And also how cutting a record was not cheap and needed record label deals for them to pay for studio time which charge by the hour. And this is simplifying stuff. The amount of expensive hardware needed was just mind blowing.

Also with the advent of powerful computers and DAWs recording and producing a profesional grade radio ready song is available to everyone on the cheap.

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Just finished the matrix trilogy. Wifey has never seen any of these old movies (isn't it weird that they're old movies now?) so I'm revisiting them all and it's good picking up on a lot of stuff I missed before.

Anything new worth watching?

Last cinema experience I had was horrible. I will never go to a cinema again. Screaming kids, people on their phones, talking loudly to each other etc. I even asked 2 people to go outside if they wanted to talk and they promptly shut up. You shouldn't have to ask for that in a cinema. Streaming FTW. If the movie makers don't like illegal streams, they should do something about the cinema experience. Set rules and broken jaws for anyone who breaks them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Watched A Quiet Place. Pretty alright movie better than all the 2018 movies I was expecting to be awesome, Black Panther, Pacific Rim 2 come on now, how can you not make a good movie about giant robots and godzilla sized monsters! First one was epic!

• Like (+1) 1

I'd repeat my recommendations guys. 

Watch 

1. Legion (the season) 

2. Dark (the season) 

Also big shout out to all matrix lovers one of the most amazing movie ever made. Surely makes my list of top 5 movies of all time. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 months later...

Seen both versions of the bohemian rhapsody. Don’t waste your time with the  censored cinema version, just stream it. Rami Malik was awesome as Freddy. But don’t expect it to be a Freddy movie, it’s the story of queen up until the live aid concert. 

As a queen fan, I’m a bit disappointed. I have all the albums. I’ve read all the books. A lot of the movie is exaggerated for the sake of cinematography. Don’t believe everything you see when you watch this movie. 

The story is cut off after the live aid concert. 

Its worth a watch for entertainments sake. Real queen fans will be able to pick the holes in the story though. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/15/2018 at 7:00 PM, Barry said:

Just finished the matrix trilogy. Wifey has never seen any of these old movies (isn't it weird that they're old movies now?) so I'm revisiting them all and it's good picking up on a lot of stuff I missed before.

Anything new worth watching?

Last cinema experience I had was horrible. I will never go to a cinema again. Screaming kids, people on their phones, talking loudly to each other etc. I even asked 2 people to go outside if they wanted to talk and they promptly shut up. You shouldn't have to ask for that in a cinema. Streaming FTW. If the movie makers don't like illegal streams, they should do something about the cinema experience. Set rules and broken jaws for anyone who breaks them.

I have not been in a cinema for more than 30 years. I don't know if setting the volume to deafening levels is universal, but here, people actually suffer damage to their hearing after repeated exposure to movies in cinemas. 

Besides that though- I absolutely detest loud music and noise of any kind, which makes watching a movie in  a cinema impossible for me to do. In fact, if I can hear a radio or the TV from further away than about two meters, it's too loud for me. 

Edited by treks
  • Like (+1) 1

• 2 months later...

When it comes to movies or series its always up to one's personal taste.

Here are some movies and series that I personally like: 

MOVIES: 

1. The Lobster
  2. Hero (Japanese movie)
  3. The Killing of a Sacred Deer
  4. Batman the dark night trilogy
  5. Wildlife 
  6. Captain Fantastic
  7. Pulp Fiction
  8. Nocturnal Animals
  9. Demolition
  10. Nightcrawler 
  11. Enemy 
  12. What If
  13. Ruby Sparks 
  14. Imperium
  15. Valerian and the city of a thousand planets 
  16. Hunt for the wilderpeople
  17. Fracture
  18. Dallas buyers Club
  19. Thank you for your service
  20. american sniper
  21. Whiplash
  22. Maudie
  23. Predestination
  24. Boyhood
  25. Lord of war
  26. Training Day
  27. Her
  28. Snowpiercer
  29. Cloud Atlas
  30. When harry met sally
  31. cast away
  32. the green mile
  33. saving private Ryan
  34. sleepless in Seattle 
  35. Forest gump
  36. Le Samouraï
  37. american gangsters

SERIES: 

1. Ozark
  2. Rick and morty
  3. Ash vs Evil Dead
  4. Grimm
  5. Lilyhammer
  6. You
  7. Game of thrones
  8. Shameless (the american version) 
  9. Penny Dreadful
  10. Glitch
  11. Pleaky Blinders
  12. Suits
  13. Colony
  14. Final Space
  15. Luther
  16. Elementary
  17. Sherlock
  18. Narcos Mexico
  19. People v OJ simpson
  20. The IT crowd
  21. Homeland
  22. The americans

This is what is on the top of my mind and it is in no specific order, its just stuff I remember I liked. I also like anime but I dont think this thread is for that and not sure the audience here likes it. 

I spent some time living in Japan I have seen a lot of interesting Japanese movies, series  and anime but I dont think they are easy to find. 

• WOW (+2) 1