•  

Al Faqa Fewbie Drive - 6 April 2018

Srikumar

With the new group of Newbie Drivers who have been with Carnity Off Road Club over the past few months, the time is right to up the difficulty challenge to a Fewbie level at Al Faqa Desert. This area offers a varied terrain from short to long range dunes with plenty of opportunity for side slopping and ridge cutting. Depending on how the convoy feels the route can be altered a bit along the way. 

As the evening weather is still quite good, those who wish can stay back for a nice relaxing chat in the desert.

When: 6 April 2018
Meeting time: 12:45 PM, convoy will move sharp at 1:00 PM after the Friday prayers
Where: Al Faqa mosque https://goo.gl/maps/NWZXyUUD47C2

Level of drive: Fewbie - Expert - Advance - (absolute newbie and newbie as passengers only)
Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 10 inches of ground clearance
Plan: Afternoon drive through the Al Faqa Desert
What to bring along: Evening snacks - whatever you like with little extra to share, water, liquids, smiles, stories, and enthusiasm.

Approximate finish time: 7 PM - 8 PM

image.png.597c500d935a588de0574c475343d37e.png

• Like (+1) 1

Brilliant choice for a perfect fewbie level drive with a twist of technical dunes, soft white sands and gazelles

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I had led a drive so I was kinda anxious as well as excited about the drive. 

We all met at the deflation point and after a check up of one of the cars we entered into the desert.

@Gaurav was my second lead and wherever I made an  error he was there correcting the route for the rest of the convoy. We had @EmVarlet who was joining us on his first fewbie drive after driving quite a few newbie drives and boy did he do well!! He was matching everything that was being done from side sloping, ridge cutting, riding the ridge and that to at quite a brisk pace. Was very happy to see how much his driving skills had improved.

While the first part of the drive was relatively easy with some medium range dunes, the second part of the drive was a patch of small technical dunes that we had to cross to reach the long range dunes. This area tested everyone with a few refusals and stucks. Rahim Bhai saw the opportunity for some spare time and started teaching Emmanuel the finer art of desert driving. I am sure it was a very valuable session for him.

By the time we exited out of this area we all were looking forward to the long range dunes for which Faqa is famous. And once we reached there we could not control our temptations. The dunes were so awesome, that some of us started attacking one range after the other causing a break in convoy. The wise voice of Rahim Bhai brought us back to our senses. 

By then it was getting dark so we stopped for our evening snack and then we had an exciting good paced exit out of the desert in night conditions fantastically led by Gaurav. Thoroughly enjoyed the pace and smoothness of this part of the  drive.

Once again an excellent convoy  comprising of @shadow79 @sertac with the full support of @Gaurav and @Rahimdad ensured that it was a fun filled drive.

Thanks!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Well written @skumar83 I was about to give my account of the drive but you've mentioned everything. It is wonderful to pass your knowledge on and see someone grow in front of your eyes. For me it is a great pleasure to see @skumar83 grow from strength to strength as he now sucessfully leads drives. More heartening to see him lead with example for newer people like @EmVarlet for him to learn and grow from an absolute newbie to a newbie to now a fewbie+ drivers. I'm sure a few more drives and he will be able to attend any drive with us and soon post drives of his own. Great also to see the @skumar83 can notice the difference in @EmVarlet driving style which has improved immensely. Well done to all and thanks to @Carnity to give us such an opportunity to learn new skills and enjoy our time with like minded people.

• Thanks (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use