•  
Advertise here

ADAPTIVE SHIFT CONTROL

Guys, any idea whether our Pajeros (with auto transmission) have Adaptive Shift Control? 

Mine upshifts too early during normal tarmac driving and have been searching for a way to correct this.

Below fyi which I picked up from a Pajero manual online.... (turn to page 23A-7)...

ADAPTIVE SHIFT CONTROL

1. The computer learns the driving habits and preferences of each individual driver by processing driving data on engine output, tire load, foot brake operation, etc. It then uses this data to adjust shift timing to best suit the driver's style

2. If the computer determines from the driving patterns that the driver is one who enjoys a relaxed, unhurried style, it adjusts timing to execute up-shifts at a lower engine speed to provide a smooth, quiet ride. On the other hand, if the computer determines the driver to prefer a sporty ride, it adjusts timing to shift up at a higher engine speed to provide more powerful response.

3. If the computer determines that the driver tends to apply the brakes often on a descending roadway, it adjusts timing to down shift sooner so that engine braking is more effectively applied. Conversely, if the computer determines that the driver does not brake much while driving downhill, it delays downshifting to minimize the effect of engine braking.

GR00003000A-23A.pdf

Do you have O/D off button on gear lever neck on the left side? Press that, it will show an orange OD off light at the dash and delay your shifts to kick in above 3k rpm, that gives more of a sporty feel. I have that in my Pajero and I do use that option in offroad only, on the road I prefer quicker shift for a more comfy ride unless I'm racing.

Not sure about Adaptive Shift control in Pajero's, isn't that all auto transmission have that these days and learn the driver style to offer the required driving experience. Few months back I was using my wifey trailblazer for a month as a daily driver and in the beginning it was so sluggish and less responsive and after a few days it turned into a monster to show where that 290 hp were hiding :-)

• Haha (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

There is no button on the gear level left side. What exactly is O/D ? Overdrive?

Since yesterday I have been driving on manual mode thinking probably the car will pickup my driving style ;-) 

Well OD off actually means it will not shift to last gear no matter what, if your speed at 120 with 4/5 gear RPM stays at 2.5-3k rpm then with OD off it will jump to 4-5k rpm as now your using 3/4 gear for reaching 120 kmph speed.

Apart from above main function as it says OD (Overdrive gear) Off, it also delays the shift and that's what you are actually looking for.

For making Adaptive system learn, I think you drive in auto and hit the throttle hard and try to cause the delay in shifting by late throttle release as if you are racing all the time for a day or two and see if that make adaptive system learn that you are a shumarker and not Anand, lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

There is a trick you can try, not that I advocate it. Turn the TPS on the throttle body around a few degrees and it can alter the shift timings. It will cause a fault code to come up when you scan the ECU but it won't do any harm. But be aware, putting it back to its original place can be a pain in the ass if you don't mark it before you move it.

• Sad (0) 1

@Barry also advise if removing battery terminal for few minutes to hours can help ECU forget the old settings? I read somewhere, but don't know if its true.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Barry said:

There is a trick you can try, not that I advocate it. Turn the TPS on the throttle body around a few degrees and it can alter the shift timings. It will cause a fault code to come up when you scan the ECU but it won't do any harm. But be aware, putting it back to its original place can be a pain in the ass if you don't mark it before you move it.

Barry you can be sure I will not do this :)

Most cars have a way to reset the ecu, like in BMWs you fully press down the gas pedal, turn ignition to position 2 and hold the pedal for 10 seconds and then switch off the ignition wait for a minute or two before restarting the car and the ECU should have reset.

Look around and search the web for a way for your Pajero.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 6 months later...

I havnt had much luck  yet. This time I am going to drive in manual for a month and see if the car shifts to my driving style with slighty higher RPMs.

Edited by AnandK