•  
Advertise here

Old Classics Making A Comeback

I think just like movies, people have run out of ideas for good fresh new material and going back to known and well tested formulas, with reboots, prequels, sequels, rehashes, rewrites. Or in these troubled economic troubled times very few big players want to take a risk and roll the dice on new projects. 

But in the car world I think thats good news, specially considered the boring, crappy, unexciting, mundane, washing machine type of white goods type of cars being made today. 

Rumours have been around for years that Dodge might revive the Plymouth marque and with that revive the Barracuda, just saying that name out send tingles down my spine! But seems like this could actually be becoming a reality, althought at the moment there is not even an official artists rendition of what it might look like, so we have to go with fan sketches for the moment and as dodge is current doing along with many other car companies of today are making their cars very similar looking to each other. But the sad news is, they might be basing it on the crappy Alpha Romeo platform, hopefully this news is not true. 

This is just an artists rendition of what it could look like

Image result for plymouth barracuda 2018

But wont be surprised if it turned out looking like this instead! 

Image result for plymouth barracuda 2018

Thankfully, unlike Ford, Dodge haven't lost their marbles and putting their crappy V6 ecoboosts in everything and phasing out the V8s. I though I would never live to see the day when an icon like Mustang would be offered a 4cyl engine from factory!

Dodge/Jeep however are delightfully going in the opposite direction with first their 700Hp Dodge HellCat and Jeep Trailhawk and the totally insane 1000hp out of the factory Dodge Demon! 

Its just not good news for the muscle car community though. Ford has decided to revive their classic 2 door 4x4. The Ford Bronco. And this time its official. Ever since they unveild the concept in 2004, people have been going nuts over it, me included I thing its absolutely awesome, modern looking yet has the classic boxy shape all us old 4x4 boys love. Last year they made it official that it would be in 2020. 
Although as stated earlier, ford is on some treehugging mission and will probably put some 50cc moped motor in it, Even the 2004 concept had a inline 4cyl motor fitted to it, :/ 
Hopefully Ford doesn't ruin a great classic even before its rebirth and drops in a proper engine in it. Just like Land Rover did with the Defender, by offering it with only one 4 cyl diesel under powered motor from a van. This among many reasons was the reason for its demise.

Just look at it,

Image result for Ford Bronco

It’s hit and miss bringing back old stuff. Look at what Toyota did with the the GT86. They wanted to invoke the feelings of the AE86 but instead produced something bland and uninteresting that chicks can drive to the office and say they drive a “sports car”. 

As a Subaru BRZ it makes more sense but it doesn’t suit Toyota. 

3 hours ago, Barry said:

It’s hit and miss bringing back old stuff. Look at what Toyota did with the the GT86. They wanted to invoke the feelings of the AE86 but instead produced something bland and uninteresting that chicks can drive to the office and say they drive a “sports car”. 

As a Subaru BRZ it makes more sense but it doesn’t suit Toyota. 

That wasn't a revival or comeback even, Toyota just plonked their badge on a Subaru, hoping to cash in on the name, which obviously didn't work.

Toyota doesn't seem to be too smart when it comes to revivals, they brought in the FJ as a rebooted version of the legendary Toyota FJ40, which also failed because its just a LWB prado rolling chassis bolted on with a totally impractical body. Hence due to poor sales had to discontinue it.

Only reason it took off here was once again a Prado with a lighter body gave it good desert performance. So people overlooked all of its flaws. 

• Like (+1) 1