•  
Advertise here

Automatic Vs Manual Part Duex

ethan

You took the words right out of my mouth. Most of it has to do with the final gear ratios of the transmission and axles combined. Engineers figure out what is required to make the vehicle perform within the parameters they preconceived. Auto and Manual transmission ratios will typically be different, especially now that some have up to 9 gear transmissions. I read an article not long ago that with upgraded transmission, transfer cases may be out the door.

I have noticed most people out in the dunes have mostly stock’ish lifts, just upgrade suspension components with no lift. More money goes into engine upgrades for horsepower. So is HP better then torque when driving in the dunes.

i was actually looking at some of the manual Jeep XJ’s on dubizzle the other day. 

• Like (+1) 1

Good question @skumar83. The hearing ratios are slightly different but not all that much, with a good automatic transmission you can get the job done, but with a manual it is a breeze, plus you get better petrol consumption on road.

• Haha (+1) 1

@skumar83 and i basically having the same car. He is having manuel i am having auto. There are many dunes he is climbing without any problem. When it comes to my car if there is any bump on the climb it is jumping and while it is jumping it is deciding to shift it to 2. gear. So i am loosing power and not getting climb. 

@sertac i think your issue is that after 'D' you have '1 - 2'. So after a certain speed the car is upshifting. So you basically need  a '1' gear for the last part of the climb. Please post that query of converting '1-2' to only '1' on the forum. You might get some ideas and it might be worth trying it.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, skumar83 said:

@sertac i think your issue is that after 'D' you have '1 - 2'. So after a certain speed the car is upshifting. So you basically need  a '1' gear for the last part of the climb. Please post that query of converting '1-2' to only '1' on the forum. You might get some ideas and it might be worth trying it.

Next time when i go to Saleem we will try that wire modification. After that if it will work, i will post the solution here. 

• Like (+1) 1

This manual vs.auto debate is actually fruitless, but despite that, I will add this:

I have seen, and driven over a lot of sand - including dunes - in many parts of the world. What I have yet to see though, is a an automatic off-road vehicle completing a continental crossing. 'nough said. 

6 minutes ago, treks said:

This manual vs.auto debate is actually fruitless, but despite that, I will add this:

I have seen, and driven over a lot of sand - including dunes - in many parts of the world. What I have yet to see though, is a an automatic off-road vehicle completing a continental crossing. 'nough said. 

With all due respect to your experience and knowledge, only 1 in million NEED to cross continents.

I totally agree that in real hardcore sturdiness manual win hands down but our regular off-roader here doesn't take more than 100 - 500 km in a week.

2 minutes ago, Barry said:

So if you have an automatic, you still have to use the manual gear select function to climb?

Better just buy a manual then. 

Nope, that's not the point. This manual selection is only needed in some auto box that automatically upshifts. In my ride 90% of my time I drive in D, even in steepest hill climb as it downshifts gear SUPER FAST to 1st when I need it the most.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Confused (0) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Just now, Barry said:

But that is kind of the point. If you need to override the automatic function at any stage for any reason, then the system is inherently flawed.

Exactly, now you got it 100% right.

In some cars, you have O/D off, PWR, Sports mode etc kind of button to tell auto box for late shift and quick downshifting. That's even better so you can get what you really want.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.