•  
Advertise here

Automatic Vs Manual Part Duex

ethan

4 hours ago, treks said:

Having said that though, the trick in successfully comparing automatics with manuals involves comparing comparable vehicles- anything else is just stating personal preferences, which serves no purpose in a discussion of this kind.    

Think I can be of help here too as I just recently stated in the previous thread I started off with a manual and after a numbers of years moved on to an auto. Same car, 100 series Land Cruiser, almost driven daily off road with a full load of 6 pax and I can tell you I prefer the auto and it performed better and most of all many times we had very long days starting very early in the morning long drive on the highway then good part of the day spent in the mountains or wadis then another long drive on road then entire evening in the dunes then at night stuck in city traffic to drop off the guests, those were the days I really appreciated having an auto. 

And in all my time I experienced one catastrophic failure with a manual and one with an auto. The manual was in a Land Cruiser pick up fully loaded till the roof with heavy gravel, I gave it to a newbie collegue and he managed to burn out the clutch plate. On the Auto, just when it was time to call it quits, loaded up my people hit the first climb out of the camp and within minutes lost drive. Torque converter seal gave up and all the ATF leaked out, refilling did nothing as it would leak out again in minutes. 

So IMO same car same duty over a period of years Auto wins 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Torque converter seal gave up and all the ATF leaked out, refilling did nothing as it would leak out again in minutes. 

This is why you should always carry bananas when going off road.

• Confused (0) 1

2 hours ago, Barry said:

This is why you should always carry bananas when going off road.

wasn't in the middle of the sahara desert, so just call a recovery truck :D It was a safari operation, we had three fully functioning campsites within minutes of each other with at least 30 other vehicles on site, And a whole load of fruits including bananas ! lol

this post is already biased towards the auto...so its a uphill fight....:-o

@desertdude well you cant say that a catastrophe with the manual one as eventually before the mechanical intervention (changing the clutch kit) you did drive out till the workshop without much assistance did you..?

the last time i had one come in to shop drove it without the clutch as its oil pipe got leaked you remember right @skumar83

Edited by shadow79
more info
  • Like (+1) 1

There is no way to really end this debate with a yes or no answer. People have their own experiences and driving styles. Some people can drive manual, some can drive auto. Some people can't drive either without hitting the only tree in the desert. 

My conclusion, drive what works for you. Kali wali what anyone else says. It's you driving, not them. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, shadow79 said:

this post is already biased towards the auto...so its a uphill fight....:-o

@desertdude well you cant say that a catastrophe with the manual one as eventually before the mechanical intervention (changing the clutch kit) you did drive out till the workshop without much assistance did you..?

the last time i had one come in to shop drove it without the clutch as its oil pipe got leaked you remember right @skumar83

How is it biased? The guy explained every point even though he himself drives and prefers a manual. If you disagree, we would love to hear what points you agree and disagree on and why. 

7 hours ago, Barry said:

There is no way to really end this debate with a yes or no answer. People have their own experiences and driving styles. Some people can drive manual, some can drive auto. Some people can't drive either without hitting the only tree in the desert. 

My conclusion, drive what works for you. Kali wali what anyone else says. It's you driving, not them. 

Well then we wouldn't have any discussion and life would be boring :) I don't think of it as a win or lose thing but rather what works best in a given situation but of course you are free to make your own choice and what gives you the most amount of pleasure. And this kind of information I think is good for people who are getting newly into this and looking for the pros and cons on any given subject.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 hours ago, treks said:

This "expert's" analysis can only be accurate if he had tested every automatic on the market against every comparable manual within the same model range for every manufacturer. 

In my experience - 400 000+ km completed in several overland expeditions through Africa - automatics are just not up to the task in these conditions; in fact, you'll be very hard pressed to find an automatic expedition-grade vehicle- anywhere. 

However, I do agree that (some) automatics have (some) distinct advantages over (some) manuals in the local (UAE) environment, simply because in local off-road conditions, automatics are generally not pushed as hard, or for as long as they would be in a heavy expedition vehicle. Automatics have come along way in the past two decades or so, and if the driver is experienced and knows his vehicle's capabilities and limitations, he can do pretty much everything an experienced driver with manual  gearbox in a comparable vehicle can do. 

Having said that though, the trick in successfully comparing automatics with manuals involves comparing comparable vehicles- anything else is just stating personal preferences, which serves no purpose in a discussion of this kind.    

I agree, partly....because what you are talking about is over landing and I love expeditions and overlanding, where you are doing long distances over mixed but nothing too hardcore by choice and most of the time miles from civilization and basically living out of your car, you car is your home base.

We are talking about off roading here, and there is a difference, offroading is where you go of the beaten track, do a day trip, do a trail for a couple of days or a more relevant local example, is do a crossing or stretch of liwa over a long weekend. Where you spend maximum time as possible tackling off road obstacles, like mud bogs, rock trails, dunes etc etc. and the more hard core the better :D

Just the car selection is totally different. Would I got off roading a Jeep Wrangler or FJ Cruiser, of course, but would I go on a overland trip with a Jeep or FJ...hell no. I would choose a diesel ( if middle, centeral or southern africa )110 defender or Cruiser Troopy and then mod it accordingly and of course it will be a manual, can't do bush mechanic-ing on an auto in case of a breakdown.

you have already written the points and wrote agreed in front of almost every point. then where we stand to bring out our weapons and fight through it..last question was asked by one who was open to both sides so he could collect side ideas...