•  

Every off-roader must know: What Went Wrong?

Rahimdad

Let’s put “ Ego” aside momentarily , speed and approach to the ridge is fast and improper ( if I was in such speed I would slow gently without releasing the accelerator paddle , and won’t ride the ridge this way and steer left down .  Now with “Ego “ or “overconfidence “ .. the driver decides to ride the ridge as such , now riding a long ridge in descend to me is more difficult than ascend as speed and control is extremely sensitive here to avoid fishtailing on the ridge which what happened with the driver , now trying to correct it in such speed let to initiate a second fishtail that aided the vehicle jump back to the side we see in the video and was about to flip , however input to the steering to avoid flip brought the third fishtail that driver couldn’t apprehend any more which lead to the sad roll over . 

what I learn is always sticks to the basics and try all your best play it safely and when it come to “ gut versus Ego” I will always choose what my guts tell me and just ignore the Ego and swerve it behind with big smile 😄

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

@Mohamed Seidam fully agree with you, Ego cannot be your passenger when off-roading (or for that matter any where in life)....

I think the driver was inexperienced to take all the challenges... he had not done the Absolute newbie, newbie, fewbie... etc drives didn't have good mentors like we do at Carnity....😄 

few things that i can see what should not have been done were his speed, he was travelling too fast (as captured by @Abdul Rahman Abdul Kader), he could have continued to do a sidey and turned back down, probably changed his mind mid way. At about 56-57 secs riding on the ridge he drifted to the right of the dune (our left) and then swerved back to the other side, at high speed and on downward direction reaction time was limited and was too late for him to correct anything, he should have continued down the dune on right side of the dune and towards gravity that may have saved the disaster (on the hind sight).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

2 hours ago, Mohamed Seidam said:

Another one regardless of vehicle brand what has happened ? The first passed and the second got refusal 

hint : always remember desert means proper momentum along the right approach 

@Mohamed Seidam firstly thanks for posting on this subject, really appreciate your time and effort, it helps us remind and remember the basics.

In my opinion, all 3 cars took a different line of approach, didnt follow the leader's track. they were focused on the video rather than track and off-roading (don't have flags, probably no radios, hence guessing just friends out for fun). lastly dont think they had checked or kept proper tyre pressure (trye tracks for Pajero and FJC looked deeper than the first track, could be just optical illusion for me). 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Mohamed Seidam, @Abdul Rahman Abdul Kader and @N@ved so proud to see you all share and learn from others mistakes. Such good lessons and such a good way of thinking. Well done boys.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

On 5/2/2018 at 7:45 PM, Rahimdad said:

@skumar83 and @Gaurav have got one part absolutely right. He was in 2WD and that was the main cause. Another cause could be the soft suspensions, as when the front of the Jeep hit the other side of the dune it was not engaged in 4x4 which put the complete load of the car in front, plus the soft suspension allowed the front bumper to dig into the sand. With the forward inertia the back of the Jeep kept moving which caused the flip. 90% though if he was in 4x4 it would not let the car flip.

Winner is @skumar83 and @Gaurav.

Next episode to follow soon. Keep watching out this space.

Thanks @Rahimdad, @Gaurav and @skumar83. Very useful. Especially for off-road  beginners. 
Does it mean that more hard suspension is more preferable for the dunes drives?

Thanks.

• Like (+1) 2

Hi @AlexPol. Form a relationship with your vehicle, feel it as you learn how to drive. Let it be an extension of yourself. If you feel that your car needs harder suspensions than you are right and nobody can make a general statement on that. Harder suspensions do help with the traction on cross tracks and softer sand, but if the vehicle is your daily driver also the ride on the road is compromised.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

18 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

Hi @AlexPol. Form a relationship with your vehicle, feel it as you learn how to drive. Let it be an extension of yourself. If you feel that your car needs harder suspensions than you are right and nobody can make a general statement on that. Harder suspensions do help with the traction on cross tracks and softer sand, but if the vehicle is your daily driver also the ride on the road is compromised.

Thanks @Rahimdad, this is helpful to know. 

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Antonio Jimenez Williams said:

I was really wondering what was in the mind of the second car when trying to overtake the one stopped!

@Antonio Jimenez Williams, I think he was not willing to give up on his momentum/rhythm and thought he would overtake from above the car stuck in front of him... which was a risk and we are always advised by seniors @Carnity to always stop if the vehicle in front of you is facing any issue/difficulty... basically safety rule was compromised and he had to face the consequence (got away cheaply though). 😜 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

The white Landcruiser just made his turn and was starting the sidesloping when he suddenly noticed the car in front of him lost momentum. These things are a split second decision and he should have stopped and steered down, rather than overtake. A bit more distance would have helped him to have more time to react.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

• Gaurav locked this topic
  • Gaurav unlocked this topic

Important Information

Terms of use