•  

Every off-roader must know: What Went Wrong?

Rahimdad

13 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Yes everyone is doing well, thank god. Mohammed got the cops paper and it will be sorted soon with insurance.

Does anyone spotted big dip or bush at 0.07 sec that bounced the car heavily....? Watch in full screen.

Also intention to steer left than climbing up as desertdude rightly mentioned would have saved it completely.

FJC in stock state is very tipsy, added with 3-4 inch lift is a recipe for disaster. We have mentioned and pointed same last week at Qudra exit and we never knew this could prove fatal so fast. Sad.

However, such incident always remind all of us that every sport has some associate risk and soon we acknowledge, embrace and learn to stay clear from such risk, better it is for everyone. 

image.png 

I have to add that the info and instructions  given during the briefing couldn’t be more useful and accurate to avoid mishaps like this one. Rahim and Sri’s words recommending drivers not to fight gravity when the car is fishtailing were stuck in my head after the incident, as I saw what might happen if drivers don’t do so.

4 hours ago, Jas Gajaria said:

Gaurav, I would just like to add that when we add suspension lift, we have to keep 2 things in mind. 

1. Make sure you select the correct springs for the weight of your car. Too stiff and you'll be bouncing all about making the car hard to control, too soft and you'll feel all the bumps and it won't ride well on the road and will have a lot of body roll. 

2. Everyone always remembers to lift the car but everyone forgets that in order to maintain the OEM center of gravity, you need to widen the wheel base too! A good quality wheel spacer will cost you 800-1000 for 4 Pcs. When we widen our track width, it allows the car to have a lower center of gravity which helps in such situations. A good example is to take one finger and roll it on the table sideways, see how easy it rolls? Now put 2 fingers and do the same, the force required to turn the fingers is much harder! 

Physics is your best friend!

"Drop a Gear and Disappear"

The driver bought the car with the mods already done. Which can be an inconvenient such in this case...

• Like (+1) 6
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

My first experience in over 11 years of driving off-road. I have seen a few flips, but being inside the car during the roll was my first. When the car started to fish tail I remember telling @Mohammed Yaasir to turn left and go down, but just than I felt an upward movement and I knew at that speed we were in trouble. It was over in less than a second in my mind but video seems like slow motion. @Mohammed Yaasir also feels that he turned left, but when we got out from the car the wheels we pointing right. Like his spirit though as he has not let this incident dampen his spirits and is still looking for some action shortly. Big thanks to @Mohammed Yaasir allowing us to share this video for learning purpose and @Jamy B. for not wasting any time doing so.

Just to understand better if @Mohammed Yaasir was nervous at that point as we have often noticed that when panicked people normally confuse the left and the right.

Just one more thing to add, as the car had started fishtailing the sand would have gathered in a way to automatically steer the car to the right, it could be a

Loose grip on the steering wheel that could also result in this roll over.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Sad (0) 1

On 11/17/2019 at 1:23 PM, Rahimdad said:

My first experience in over 11 years of driving off-road. I have seen a few flips, but being inside the car during the roll was my first. When the car started to fish tail I remember telling @Mohammed Yaasir to turn left and go down, but just than I felt an upward movement and I knew at that speed we were in trouble. It was over in less than a second in my mind but video seems like slow motion. @Mohammed Yaasir also feels that he turned left, but when we got out from the car the wheels we pointing right. Like his spirit though as he has not let this incident dampen his spirits and is still looking for some action shortly. Big thanks to @Mohammed Yaasir allowing us to share this video for learning purpose and @Jamy B. for not wasting any time doing so.

Just to understand better if @Mohammed Yaasir was nervous at that point as we have often noticed that when panicked people normally confuse the left and the right.

Just one more thing to add, as the car had started fishtailing the sand would have gathered in a way to automatically steer the car to the right, it could be a

Loose grip on the steering wheel that could also result in this roll over.

Ah so you finally got to experience a roll after all this time

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Ah so you finally got to experience a roll after all this time

I know you had that luxury in your Cherokee in 2008ish and after that I have never seen you again on sand.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

13 hours ago, Gaurav said:

I know you had that luxury in your Cherokee in 2008ish and after that I have never seen you again on sand.

That’s why I was impressed and proud of @Mohammed Yaasir who drove his own wrecked car back to the road and kept calm at all times! He didn’t even get stuck while driving up and down Maliha dunes 😁

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, Asif Hussain said:

What went wrong and how this roll over would have been avoided? 

may be: "he slow down on top on side slope, sudden braking and did not move steering wheel towards gravity...."

Edited by Chirag S.
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 2

• Gaurav pinned this topic
  • Gaurav locked this topic
  • Gaurav unlocked this topic

Important Information

Terms of use