•  

Every off-roader must know: What Went Wrong?

Rahimdad

Thank you @Mohamed Seidam for posting this and very good observation from @N@ved. I would like to hear more comments from more newbies who are trying to learn the art of off-roading.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

14 minutes ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

It doesn't only happen on high, steep, sharp dunes.

Thank you @Ale Vallecchi for this specific clip as you said not only on high steep sharp turns the roll over happens 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

On 1/8/2021 at 8:52 AM, Mohamed Seidam said:

What went wrong ? 

This is a good example of when the basics of physics is not taken into consideration !

driver went against gravity, that too with a sharp turn and decent speed.... 

• Like (+1) 3

46 minutes ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

very soft sand should generally be avoided I think. no one would expect this on such a hill...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

28 minutes ago, Mehmet Volga said:

very soft sand should generally be avoided I think. no one would expect this on such a hill...

Yes @Mehmet Volga, the sand seems soft (you can see how much was displaced on the surface of the dune with the roll), and the more important mistake, in my opinion, was steering up the dune, probably exactly because the driver thought the dune was low and not sharp, so he would make it anyways. Just to show you it can happen anywhere 😅

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

1 hour ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

It seems that the driver left the gas pedal while there was still sideways momentum as the car was fishtailing. That brought the car to halt with momentum still very much in place. @Ale Vallecchi would keeping the gas and turning left helped him to avoid this? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

10 minutes ago, GauravSoni said:

It seems that the driver left the gas pedal while there was still sideways momentum as the car was fishtailing. That brought the car to halt with momentum still very much in place. @Ale Vallecchi would keeping the gas and turning left helped him to avoid this? 

@GauravSoni certainly steering down would have helped, possibly even without further accelerating. I have the impression that the car dug sideways into the soft sand, creating the stumbling block on which it rolled. But, as always, the first mistake was steering up and not down. If done, at worst it may have been stuck in the soft sand, but favouring gravity, not fighting it. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Ale Vallecchi apart from the steering direction, could it also be that the approach of the jeep was not correct? the car capturing the video seems to be on the top of the dune whereas the Jeep tilted on the left.

Another query is if off-roading during summer should we be checking our tyre pressure frequently or keeping it lower as hotter air will increase the pressure. could that also be one of the culprits for this rollover.

• Like (+1) 5

@N@ved very well noticed and I love this about you. Your attention to every details. Tire pressure normally goes up after about 30 - 45 minutes of off-roading, any time you feel the car is being more stubborn, or having difficulty negotiating dunes which you have done earlier with ease, check your tire pressure. This Friday was cold and yet when we reached Faya my tire pressure was at 14 PSI instead of 11 PSI. Could the car flip if it has improper tire pressure, rarely seen that happen as the car would get stuck before it has the chance to accumulate all this sand on one side, but just because I have not seen the tire pressure as a culprit so far I would blame it on the driver's response to the situation. When off-road you should switch off all distractions and concentrate on the path ahead, any distraction or ego can be damaging both to you and your vehicle.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

• Gaurav locked this topic
  • Gaurav unlocked this topic

Important Information

Terms of use