•  

Every off-roader must know: What Went Wrong?

Rahimdad

In a way both @Ahmad Shaker and @N@ved are correct. Try to understand momentum and gravity both have a role to play. The momentum on the vehicle is in the forward direction. Travelling high on a dune is always recommended as a bit lower might be a bit fun due to the softer sand, but dangerous nevertheless. Now your car is at 40 KPH in forward direction and due to gravity and soft sand your car fishtails. Your only option is to countersteer and point your front tires down. If you try to keep straight tires also sand is accumulating on your tires side walls which brings that momentum at the bottom to a halt, but the inertia on the top of your car continues as nothing on top of the car to stop it from going at that 40KPH you were at. This results in flips or roll overs. Never fight gravity. Always keep control of accelerator and steering at all times.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

• 3 weeks later...

hi, i am fairly new on the club and i was going through the what went wrong section of this website and i have a question that will be great if someone could shed some light. I see on many accidents that the comments were that the car was driven on 2WD and not 4H so i was wondering why people drive on 2WD mode in the desert ? is there any specific reason/challenge or is just an omission ?

thanks for your time

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, stavros papachristos said:

hi, i am fairly new on the club and i was going through the what went wrong section of this website and i have a question that will be great if someone could shed some light. I see on many accidents that the comments were that the car was driven on 2WD and not 4H so i was wondering why people drive on 2WD mode in the desert ? is there any specific reason/challenge or is just an omission ?

thanks for your time

Driving offroad in 2WD mode indeed has no purpose, apart from the fact that they are able to show off and do more spins/donuts in the sand. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Agreeing to what Frederic said also sand fountain making is more higher in two wheel drive adding to the nonsense 😄

I believe it’s very dangerous to be in 4x2 in the sand as your front is always acting as a fulcrum to flip over , turn over .... and any thing which ends with over 😆

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@stavros papachristos firstly thank you for taking the time to go through this thread and posting your valuable question. You are right in saying on many occasions we have pointed out that some of these vehicles were trying to pull a stunt in 2 WD when things went wrong. But mostly it's due to fighting gravity or being on the wrong line or even people ignoring safety instructions. Driving in 2 WD could be an honest mistake or could be done deliberately to drift in the sand. All these go against the safety protocols preached in Carnity and this thread to to make you aware about the dangers of not following instruction. Its always better to learn from others mistakes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

1 minute ago, Rahimdad said:

@stavros papachristos firstly thank you for taking the time to go through this thread and posting your valuable question. You are right in saying on many occasions we have pointed out that some of these vehicles were trying to pull a stunt in 2 WD when things went wrong. But mostly it's due to fighting gravity or being on the wrong line or even people ignoring safety instructions. Driving in 2 WD could be an honest mistake or could be done deliberately to drift in the sand. All these go against the safety protocols preached in Carnity and this thread to to make you aware about the dangers of not following instruction. Its always better to learn from others mistakes.

@Rahimdad thanks for your feedback, indeed the majority of the accidents posted on this thread were mainly due to people tried to fight gravity or lack of attention and ignoring safety matters. i was trying to clarify whether the 2WD was intentionally chosen or if it was genuine human error (i.e people forgotten to switch to 4 wd) but your replies (that thank you all for your input) covered me! 

have to say it is very interesting topic and in theory i learnt a lot, i will try to keep all these advises in mind when i am off roading!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 1/15/2019 at 11:09 PM, Rahimdad said:

Thanks to @Asif Hussain for this contribution. What went wrong here?

After avoiding the obstacle ( by stander ) shouldn’t have attempted to force it to stay on course ( fight gravity ) . Alternatively could have accepted that exiting down and turn again with bigger simile. I guess he realized it just while it was irreversible which explains his smile after the flip 😄

• Like (+1) 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Gaurav locked this topic
  • Gaurav unlocked this topic

Important Information

Terms of use