•  
Advertise here

bmw x5 hose pipe crack

Hi All,

Ramadan Kareem for all mates who are fasting :)

" So, around 10 days back while driving to work in morning, i got a message on dashboard of my x5 check coolant level" this is  quite normal for any cars to do so as I was just litteraly 200 metres away from my work drove and parked the car, after an hour i went to refill the coolant as I keep a gallon in both my cars as an emergency back up not just for me just in case anyone gets stuck roadside.

So, the moment i opened the cap it was complete dry anyways on looking below the engine there was a little leak my first instinct was may be its a ac water as puddle was very minor.

Moment i started filling the coolant it was dripping as if there is a crack in the chamber or radiator had burst.

Anyways i took the car adjacent ADNOc petrol station and they refused to check it, all i asked them is to lift and tell me so that i dont drive and damage the engine but vain, sometimes its your day.

Anyways, so i opened the hood to see any visible radiator leaks, temp gauge was still quite low hence took a risk and drove it to ENOC opposite Hyatt  and there they have a proper diagnosis service centre.

I asked them to check and the moment they opened the hood they said hose pipe is crack, to be sure they lifted and confirmed there is no other issues.

now at the first instance they refused to fix it as they did not had original hose pipe... after requesting they said they will cut and reinstate the hosepipe as the damaged portion is very small

Q.  Does this fix stay for long (he said this is original BMW hose pipe damaged portion has been cut and fixed properly and none of the pipes are hard)

But the point here is -- he literally kept the hoses loosen and made me wait for 1.5 hour there was lot of pressure and steam build up.

"He told me unless he cools the steam and engine down wont put a drop of coolant  as if he does it it will blow of the engine gasket or manifold or may be damage the car severely"

I was very happy as he really did quality work, he could have just filled the coolant and let me go.

SO just a note for everyone who are not tech savy/smart like myself please cool down your engine really well before refilling coolant or water just incase (summer tip)

Q. Does AC freon leak in such cases , my ac freon was completely leaked, i refilled and its fine now chilling again but got curious as he never touched any ac pipes.

Was just my roadside/drive experience if it helps anyone :)

Take care.

• Like (+1) 1

Well you were lucky enough to find someone to patch up your car so you won't be stranded, now go get it replaced ASAP and if you can afford it change the other hoses as well as they probably are of similar age and in similar condition.

And AC freon has nothing to do with the engine cooling system. You probably have a leak somewhere in the AC system 

• Like (+1) 2

rising temperature does make the freon head pressure to rise and send it right through the safety valve usually located on the compressor...

that part of cut and join does work in some cars as the length is long but in some cars with the vibration and engine thrusts it will come back out when least expected....

• Like (+1) 2

I agree to change all hose pipes which are of similar age and condition, means they are about to fail and burst any moment. You might not be this much lucky in next incident and you know how expensie BMW repairs are if you are a long time user.

• Like (+1) 1

Cars My passion :mrgreen:  :ugeek:

If you like my above post, please press Like / Thanks on right side to help me increase my rating

/pedant hat on

Freon, also known as CFC12 or R12 hasn't been used in cars since 1993 because it was a major cause of the hole in the ozone layer. Anything 94- uses H134a/R134a. If anyone tells you they are putting Freon in your car, question their technical ability. 

/Pedant hat off

Be careful with water leaks in the M/N62 series engines. Sounds like you got very lucky. They are very prone to overheating damage requiring the heads and block to be skimmed. Hoses do fail sometimes but after replacement, I would look into if there's any pressure issues that caused the hose to fail.

Also, very good advice to wait for an engine to cool before you add any cool fluids to it. Basic physics, metal expands and contracts. If cold water hits part of a hot engine, it can cause that part of the engine to cool down faster than the surrounding area which can cause it to crack.

• Like (+1) 1