•  
Advertise here

Electric Range Rover | Fully Charged

The problem with going electric is that the hundreds, if not thousands of power stations the world needs to charge several hundred million electric cars (and to keep them charged up) will likely produce more pollution than all the cars that have ever been on the roads in the history of the world. 

Then there is the problem of the heavy metals in in the hundreds of millions of batteries in all of these electric vehicles. What will happen to those heavy metals when all of these batteries are replaced? The combined effects of the pollution created by hundreds of power stations and thousands of tons of toxic heavy metals will be far, far, worse than even the worst pollution we see today, so for the moment, electric is NOT the way to go.

Don't get me wrong though; I am as concerned about the current levels of pollution as the next guy, but making it worse by building and operating hundreds of power stations, and attempting to keep thousands of tons of heavy metals out of the environment is clearly NOT the solution. 

As matters stand now, there is no viable alternative to the internal combustion engine, and you should not let yourself be deceived by all the talk by car  makers about their efforts to introduce electric vehicles. At the moment, the few cars they do produce can be accommodated by the current generating capacity in some countries, and their batteries won't be due for replacement for at least the next few years. Just wait until the power grids in the USA and Europe can no longer cope with the increased demand, or when the problem of recovering/recycling/storing heavy metals from millions of EV batteries becomes as real as the problem of storing toxic nuclear waste is now.  

The truth of the matter is that car makers in the western world can all claim various forms of tax credits relative to the costs of developing electric cars, but as we know, talk is cheap, and especially if governments are paying for the talking.  It's all about winning the next election...  

Politicians and govts are always going to build bridges over imaginary rivers... that's never gonna change. 

The point is as an individual what would you choose... 

I hear your argument about accommodating the costs etc of battery packs and the energy required to run charging stations. However, consuming fuel at power plants to recharge electric cars is a more efficient process than burning it in a gasoline car engine. We basically have to choose the lesser evil option here even if both of them are harmful. 

With all due respect as Treks mentioned EVs are more harmful to the environment than current cars and my argument is not for fossil fuel powered cars but against electric, because like I mentioned I strongly believe that is NOT the way forward and is only being shoved down the publics throat because of lazy innovation and easy money making opportunities.

Right about now I dont know what the next energy source could be for vehicles but I know electric is the wrong choice. 

Im sure with enough money thrown in something better can be developed, just need the money. 

Nuclear fusion instead of fission, zero point energy and a lot more on the verge of becoming a reality. Like I said EVs is the low hanging fruit which makes tree huggers feel good about themselves as well as big profit margins for the manufacturers. 

And all this talk about how harmful and dirty fossil fuel energy is sounds kinda hollow from someone who drives a big thirsty V8 himself. :D

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, desertdude said:

And all this talk about how harmful and dirty fossil fuel energy is sounds kinda hollow from someone who drives a big thirsty V8 himself.

Lol.. guilty as charged! That my friend is due to certain unfortunate circumstances... financial and personal as well..But definitely if given a choice i wouldn't mind changing my V8 into a tesla loaded beast... 

10 hours ago, desertdude said:

Im sure with enough money thrown in something better can be developed, just need the money. 

Yes i agree as well, but that's the point until and unless we dont come up with that tech shouldn't we at least try with other alternatives? as the saying goes.. Rome wasn't built in a day..  EV may not be or should not be (acc to you) the future but at least for now it can be a safer alternative or a mean to spread the message of saving energy and being mindful about the environment. 

When the E-cigarette was introduced everyone was skeptical about the batteries exploding .. imagine what will happen when you tell someone, here is your car it runs on nuclear energy. ........

Edited by Jeh

After all this gir gir, I like to add that not all EV charging points (especially the fast ones) are free and secondly they are owned by different service providers means you need to get an account with 10-20 different providers to charge your car on the go (not nice). At least this is what I have seen in the UK early this year. From London to Oxford and London to Canterbury (diff routes) I have seen 6-7 different electric charge provider bay and none of them offered for free, not even the slow charge. Making an account requires some 20-50 GBP to get a card that will come in the post and then you pay per charge too. I assume it will be 1/4 of the Petrol cost but hassle and downtime will be ten folds at least for now.

Imagine you lose the freedom of pulling over in next fuel station be it Emarat, Eppco, Enoc or Adnoc and be sure to get your car topped up for next 300-500 kms. With EV you will be always pressurized to find the next charging point. Btw the home charging kit that comes with these cars is the slow charge that takes about 6-8 hours to fully charge with the household electric socket.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

3 hours ago, Gaurav said:

After all this gir gir, I like to add that not all EV charging points (especially the fast ones) are free and secondly they are owned by different service providers means you need to get an account with 10-20 different providers to charge your car on the go (not nice). At least this is what I have seen in the UK early this year. From London to Oxford and London to Canterbury (diff routes) I have seen 6-7 different electric charge provider bay and none of them offered for free, not even the slow charge. Making an account requires some 20-50 GBP to get a card that will come in the post and then you pay per charge too. I assume it will be 1/4 of the Petrol cost but hassle and downtime will be ten folds at least for now.

Imagine you lose the freedom of pulling over in next fuel station be it Emarat, Eppco, Enoc or Adnoc and be sure to get your car topped up for next 300-500 kms. With EV you will be always pressurized to find the next charging point. Btw the home charging kit that comes with these cars is the slow charge that takes about 6-8 hours to fully charge with the household electric socket.

1903: “The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a novelty – a fad.” — President of the Michigan Savings Bank advising Henry Ford’s lawyer, Horace Rackham, not to invest in the Ford Motor Company.

2006: "Everyone's always asking me when Apple will come out with a cell phone.  My answer is, 'Probably never.'" — David Pogue, The New York Times.

2007: “There’s no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share.” — Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO.

Everything that showed an advanced technology and was far beyond its current era in terms of usability and adaptability was always welcomed with skepticism. Thanks!! your statement proves we are going in right direction. :)

1 hour ago, Jeh said:

1903: “The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a novelty – a fad.” — President of the Michigan Savings Bank advising Henry Ford’s lawyer, Horace Rackham, not to invest in the Ford Motor Company.

2006: "Everyone's always asking me when Apple will come out with a cell phone.  My answer is, 'Probably never.'" — David Pogue, The New York Times.

2007: “There’s no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share.” — Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO.

Everything that showed an advanced technology and was far beyond its current era in terms of usability and adaptability was always welcomed with skepticism. Thanks!! your statement proves we are going in right direction. :)

There is nothing advanced about electric cars. The idea and practice is as old as the hills, but until someone figures out a way to turn the practical issues into, well, practicable solutions, electric cars will remain a non-starter on any meaningful level.   

EVs have been around since the 1800s, yes that is correct and the fact they have not made any significant progress in almost 200 years is a clear sign we are barking up the wrong tree.

Interesting read from CNBC

Electric vehicle (EV) ownership will balloon to about 125 million by 2030, spurred by policies that encourage drivers, fleets and municipalities to purchase clean-running cars, the policy advisor to energy-consuming nations forecast on Wednesday.

That marks a big jump from 2017, when the IEA estimated there were 3.1 million electric vehicles in use, up 54 percent from the previous year.

IEA's 22-year outlook still leaves plenty of room for fossil fuel-powered vehicles. Forecasts put the world's total car count at roughly 2 billion somewhere in the 2035 to 2040 window.

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/30/electric-vehicles-will-grow-from-3-million-to-125-million-by-2030-iea.html

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

I would not put too much store by these so-called "predictions". 

Given the fact that the electricity generating capacity of most western countries is already under severe pressure, and that it takes about seven years (on average) and about a billion dollars to build a single power station, it seems extremely unlikely that any of these predictions will become reality.