•  
Advertise here

Corolla 20012 AC Cycle problem

I used to work on a lot of Peugeot’s back home. Heater matrix failure was a big problem, particularly on the 306 and partner/ equivalent Citroen Xsara and berlingo. Coolant would drip on your feet when you were driving. Book time to replace was 6-7 hours. I got into a place where I could do them in an hour. Loosen a few major bolts, slide the dashboard back enough to get your hands behind it and you could fly through the job. It helps a lot when you have taken something apart before and have the proper tools in reaching distance. In doing this, I also discovered oxidation was a major problem so I added an extra earth wire on the cooling system and once repaired, it never failed again. 

the new corollas don't have the magnetic clutch in them now lately they have begun to implement a direct drive compressor with a solenoid in the rear which controls the flow of refrigerant to the compressor and those are nasty compressors....i  have worked on them and you should change the whole system and yet sometimes it fails as those compressors have a refrigerant controlled slider bearing which does not slide at times and thus you get hot or normal air instead of cold

1 hour ago, shadow79 said:

the new corollas don't have the magnetic clutch in them now lately they have begun to implement a direct drive compressor with a solenoid in the rear which controls the flow of refrigerant to the compressor and those are nasty compressors....i  have worked on them and you should change the whole system and yet sometimes it fails as those compressors have a refrigerant controlled slider bearing which does not slide at times and thus you get hot or normal air instead of cold

Interesting, didnt know that. Dunno why or maybe because of it being cheap these so called reliable japanese manufacturers have started to shoot themselves in the foot which bringing im shitty tech like this. 

Prime example being the CVT trannys on the Nissans.

• Confused (0) 1

Hi Guys!

Thanks for all the replies 

barry yes, that the original cover for my fuse box. i reviewed my post and replies i forgot to mention that currently my ac blows cold air no doubt it but as it only cycle and blow cold air for 10-15 mins. then it will stop working regardless if i am driving or in idle i have to press the ac button off then on in that way it will work again.

9 hours ago, desertdude said:

Interesting, didnt know that. Dunno why or maybe because of it being cheap these so called reliable japanese manufacturers have started to shoot themselves in the foot which bringing im shitty tech like this. 

Prime example being the CVT trannys on the Nissans.

Don't get me started on CVT transmissions. I can't understand why Nissan does not just follow Ford's example and abandon CVT "technology" altogether, which incidentally, is the crappiest idea in the history of the motor car. CVT transmissions that is, not Fords' idea to abandon their use.

Edited by treks

12 hours ago, treks said:

Don't get me started on CVT transmissions. I can't understand why Nissan does not just follow Ford's example and abandon CVT "technology" altogether, which incidentally, is the crappiest idea in the history of the motor car. CVT transmissions that is, not Fords' idea to abandon their use.

I know right! Absolute stupidity, how to expect a drive a vehicle and last, worse case Ive seen are almost all Nissan Altimas with tranny issues around the 100-150k mark.

Seems like this new AC compressor design is also one of those shitty ideas.

• Like (+1) 1

it seems sure is @desertdude but the idea behind it is very beautiful its very economical (less fuel consuming design) and it also will give you no feel when its cycling on and off as opposed to many conventional compressors tripping on and off you can surely make out...but the ugly thing is they are as of yet not reliable...

when we get a car like this we just give the options to the owner to go the original way and face the same shit again in near future or else just drop the whole system and revert to the conventional compressors which are hands down very stubborn things and last

Well on paper CVTs also looked brilliant, small light weight and infinite number of gear ratios to suit all situations but reality as we know is completely different.

Sometimes its just better not to try to reinvent the wheel.