•  
Advertise here

I am so sad to hear this @Gaurav, knowing how much you love that Paj. I hope you find a solution. Since i started driving mine i have been also looking at similar models, and while i have seen the same as mine now and then (3.0 SOHC 12V), yours is definitely a rare puppy to track. I will do some online research too. 

All the best !

Edited by Frederic Nuyttens
  • Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

15 hours ago, skumar83 said:

Another option, though not very feasible, would be to look to get another 3.5 litre Pajero and put that car engine in your Pajero. It would also help that you have a ready supply of used spare parts as well. It can be the 5 door model as well. The reason I mentioned to swap only the engine is because of the amount of work that you have done on your existing ride.

All options are being explored at full stretch including to find a similar engine from Magna sport, thanks @desertdude for scouting that.

15 hours ago, shadow79 said:

the options are still being explored...but the dohc 24 valve is the unique factor which shapes this car..if we toss in the 3.5 one then it will be under powered...

3.5 is always 6G74 and it comes with DOHC - 24 valves, just that 1992-96 is older engineering result in 180 - 190 hp and 1997 - 2000 is mine one that results in 225 hp (GCC version) and 210 hp (GDI version).

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

15 hours ago, shadow79 said:

the engine is old so it surely has been well passed the break in period...the only explanation there is of a knocking engine is oil lubrication...

as after inspection of oil there were shiny particles in oil which is a sign of bearings and journals....

and engines don't go poof and die surely there was a sign the car would have run a bit sluggish or heavy way before it made the sound or engine died...

there should not be any major difference in 5 or coupe version engine or transmission of same years

It literally died without any warning and moreover when we approached faya, we were driving on tarmac and track for 30 minutes prior and there wasn't any sign of overheating, sluggishness or what-so-ever tell-tale signs.

Secondly, at the foothill of Faya I was waiting for more than 20 minutes in idle as other guys were still trying to climb so I and Rahimdad were on standby. I made the first attempt from the front and failed, tried the second time and made it on top. If a car was sluggish or having some issue it will never ever climb Faya from the front. 

Then I went to the right side of Faya and made few attempts and in a third and last attempt it climbed to 95% and resulted in rocker knocking noise, so I exited immediately.

My educated guess says, that during right side climb car was slightly tilted on the left side and that's why right side engine head (rockers tapping) must be running dry due to low or weak oil pump pressure. How come that damaged crank, I have no clue.

Thanks, everyone for comforting messages and your best wishes, really appreciate all the support pouring through PM and WhatsApp messages.

• Like (+1) 1

I would love to see some post mortem pics of the old engine, specifically the crankshaft, bearing caps and bearings. From the video I saw I heard the rods knocking but I’ve read the top end was also making noises? Usually if there is a loss of oil pressure bad enough to affect the top end, the oil warning light will illuminate. 

If I had time and space I’d love to take the job on. Sounds like a crank regrind and a set of oversize bearings, maybe a set of rods if the bearings spun would fix it but without seeing inside and doing some measuring it’s pure speculation. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Barry said:

I would love to see some post mortem pics of the old engine, specifically the crankshaft, bearing caps and bearings. From the video I saw I heard the rods knocking but I’ve read the top end was also making noises? Usually if there is a loss of oil pressure bad enough to affect the top end, the oil warning light will illuminate. 

If I had time and space I’d love to take the job on. Sounds like a crank regrind and a set of oversize bearings, maybe a set of rods if the bearings spun would fix it but without seeing inside and doing some measuring it’s pure speculation. 

As much as I would love to know why, but my main priority is to get a car up and running with minimal cost, so this post-mortem is not in my things to do unless someone volunteer to do it ;-) 

• Haha (+1) 1