•  
Advertise here

Any bikers in-house?

Gaurav

Thanks, @ging for the suggestion, I got a helmet and gloves so far and will see what else I can afford in this heat and the non-cycle friendly world.

@Barry I totally agree with your thoughts on this as the first day I chose street ride for 2 km to reach to cycling strip and got the creeps as every passing car was so close to me, so while coming back I thought to ride bike in opposite lane and almost every second car was dipping the high beam as if I couldn't see them and making me blind in hard shoulder. Then I decided to stick to the 1 km rough patch than the side street.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

The problem with riding in the rough patch is that's where you pick up punctures. Rough stones, thorns etc.

Google Slime Tubes. I used them for years at home. When you get a puncture, the slime comes out through the hole and lets you ride home. They're maybe 20-30 grams heavier than a normal tube because of the stuff inside but it saves you from having to carry a toolkit and pump/co2 canisters on a ride.

Have you got any lights on your bike? I've noticed that the flashing ones seem to make drivers notice more than the solid ones.

• Like (+1) 2

Why is that riding a bike in the direction opposite to traffic is against the law. In India with cars driving so close I would not want to put my life in the hands of the car driver who has to judge the distance so that he can miss me. Same would apply here as well due to the high speeds even on internal roads. Unless there are dedicated cycle tracks I personally think it's safe for the cyclist to drive against traffic. What say?

@Gaurav if you are driving in a low light area, it's better you get one of those reflector jackets and wear light colored clothing

Edited by skumar83
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Barry said:

The problem with riding in the rough patch is that's where you pick up punctures. Rough stones, thorns etc.

Google Slime Tubes. I used them for years at home. When you get a puncture, the slime comes out through the hole and lets you ride home. They're maybe 20-30 grams heavier than a normal tube because of the stuff inside but it saves you from having to carry a toolkit and pump/co2 canisters on a ride.

Have you got any lights on your bike? I've noticed that the flashing ones seem to make drivers notice more than the solid ones.

I'm happy to have a puncture and pull bike a km or two then getting scratched by car. Light is on its way and few other titbits

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

• 1 year later...