•  
Advertise here

• My regards to all,
    I have 2009 FX50 since two weeks i start facing problems with overheating.
    All issues starts when i replaced AC compressor which after replacement AC returns cooling perfect. but suddenly air recyclation was always switched off alone and bad smell comes inside the cabin. I went back to mechanic and he canceled the water heater line which goes inside cabin through front dashboard. Eventhough AC bad smell was gone because of this modification but i noticed the heating gauge was little bit raised up and keep satable . Two days later the car get overheating and i went again to mechanic he found the second fan not working and i replaced it . Now there is no risky overheating, but car not like one month earlier, its simply becomes crazy and still mechanic tell me everything is fine but am sure its not. Now the temperature gauge is raising little bit up if i stop on signal or stuck in traffic, by raising up the rpm raised to 900 instead of 700 , i hear upnormal noises similar to grinding noises , i feel this rough noise when i put my hand on gear stick and the overall temperature in engine compartment is higher than what i used to feel earlier, as a confirmation to this the wheather temperature display on dashboard increases 4-5 c° while stopping car  for 1 min. Meanwhile when i run with car at speed 100km/h for 1 min everything returns fine , no noise , temperature gauge returned to original position, temperature display in dashboard decreases to normal wheather temperature . Can anyone help me on this? If i returned the water heater connection is it going to resolve or affect my problems?

You need a new mechanic. Anyone who removes the pipes to the dashboard doesn't understand how a vehicle cooling system works. When you bypass the heater matrix, you're taking a huge chunk of circulating coolant out of the system. Less coolant flowing through the system means the engine runs hotter. More chance of overheating and causing serious damage. I would go back and kick him in the balls and tell him he doesn't understand the most basic things about how a car works.

Check that inside the radiator is clean and the fins aren't blocked and that the "mechanic" has filled the system with coolant and not just used tap water. Check that the fan comes on when the vehicle reaches temperature at idle. I would be inclined to check that the water pump is working properly too. Worth taking a look at the recirc flap and control motor too.

The bad smell could be bacteria in the system. It happens in this humid weather. You can buy cans of special disinfectant that you spray into the air intake with the ac running. 

Seriously though, find another mechanic. This guy hasn't got a clue, he's a butcher.

• Like (+1) 2

If car is overheating while standing then its the engine cooling fan, maybe the replacement fan is not as good as the original or the second fan is on its way out, Also keep in mind last couple of weeks its been really hot too so a few degrees up and down while stationary shouldnt be too abnormal as engine is getting heat soaked just standing and just as a good preventive measure I would replace the radiator if it hasn't been changed for a long time and/or not flushed every few years. it cab start to clog up with dirt and deposits and lose cooling capacity.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Barry said:

You need a new mechanic. Anyone who removes the pipes to the dashboard doesn't understand how a vehicle cooling system works. When you bypass the heater matrix, you're taking a huge chunk of circulating coolant out of the system. Less coolant flowing through the system means the engine runs hotter. More chance of overheating and causing serious damage. I would go back and kick him in the balls and tell him he doesn't understand the most basic things about how a car works.

Its pretty much the norm in these parts when faced with an expensive rip out your dash to fix a leaking heater which you will never use here or just bypass the system.The choice is obvious. I've driven and done this myself to many cars really doesn't effect the engine cooling, a few feet of extra pipe can only provide so much more cooling, pretty negligible.

The same is done to the Range Rover L322 I drive but here the reason is the auxiliary heater cooling pump and its housing has literally turned to dust! LOLAnd I couldn't give a rats ass about spending $$$$$ to fix the heater, which I will never use here.   

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Barry said:

Check that inside the radiator is clean and the fins aren't blocked and that the "mechanic" has filled the system with coolant and not just used tap water. Check that the fan comes on when the vehicle reaches temperature at idle. I would be inclined to check that the water pump is working properly too. Worth taking a look at the recirc flap and control motor too.

The bad smell could be bacteria in the system. It happens in this humid weather. You can buy cans of special disinfectant that you spray into the air intake with the ac running. 

Seriously though, find another mechanic. This guy hasn't got a clue, he's a butcher.

Thanks Barry for your information, me too i was not satisfied when he advised to bypass water heater pipes , however do you think is there any kind of links between AC bad smell and water heater matrix?

16 minutes ago, desertdude said:

If car is overheating while standing then its the engine cooling fan, maybe the replacement fan is not as good as the original or the second fan is on its way out, Also keep in mind last couple of weeks its been really hot too so a few degrees up and down while stationary shouldnt be too abnormal as engine is getting heat soaked just standing and just as a good preventive measure I would replace the radiator if it hasn't been changed for a long time and/or not flushed every few years. it cab start to clog up with dirt and deposits and lose cooling capacity.

Thanks for your valuable inputs , as next step i think i have to return the water heater connection to the original situation and see how is things will go on. I hope it will resolve the issue . If not ( and i hope not ) i will proceed with radiator replacement which i think will be costly.

Last few weeks i spent over 1500$ for replacing AC compressor, condenser,AC filter, cooling fan , main engine belt :-(

Im with @Barry on this. Not unless you race your car.. you do not change the circulation of the watercooling system of your car. cabin heater is connected to the your car's engine cooling system. try turning on the heater when your car overheats.. this will gradually cool your engine, not 100% to normal temp but this will help you get to the nearest garage. in my experience, a car over 100k (or almost) need to change waterpump and thermostat especially here in the middle east.

I think the simple thing is to do process of elimination. do the  100k maintenance (timing belt kit. water pump, thermostat, radiator cap), while you are at it, change all the hose (all the hose!!). see if your car still overheats. for the bad smell, go to fastfit, they can clean your a/c(change gas, humidify the cabin).

• Like (+1) 3

On 9/8/2018 at 10:09 PM, Khaledma2000 said:

If not ( and i hope not ) i will proceed with radiator replacement which i think will be costly.

you can always put aftermarket radiators sometimes they even come in larger volume then the originals....most of the times cheaper then the originals...

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, bvb said:

Im with @Barry on this. Not unless you race your car.. you do not change the circulation of the watercooling system of your car. cabin heater is connected to the your car's engine cooling system. try turning on the heater when your car overheats.. this will gradually cool your engine, not 100% to normal temp but this will help you get to the nearest garage. in my experience, a car over 100k (or almost) need to change waterpump and thermostat especially here in the middle east.

I think the simple thing is to do process of elimination. do the  100k maintenance (timing belt kit. water pump, thermostat, radiator cap), while you are at it, change all the hose (all the hose!!). see if your car still overheats. for the bad smell, go to fastfit, they can clean your a/c(change gas, humidify the cabin).

That's not its intended purpose but it does work to cool down an overheating engine a bit. But a few feet of piping isn't going to effect the cooling of the engine. In these parts its just not worth it to maintain your heating system once its starts to leak or blows 

• Like (+1) 1