•  
Advertise here

Car News

A few months back, Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) suspended the carpooling permit known as ‘Sharekni’ leaving the drivers confused whether or not they can continue with the ride sharing. Now, the UAE police have confirmed that a Dh3,000 fine will be imposed on anyone indulging in carpooling.

Besides the Dh3,000 fine, motorists will also receive 24 black points and their vehicle will be confiscated for 30 days if they are found breaking this traffic law.

Talking to the media, Brigadier Ibrahim Sultan Al Zaabi, director of the transport security department mentioned that the new regulation regarding banning carpool is introduced to ensure the protection of every citizen. He further mentioned that there are a lot of dangers associated with carpooling such as theft, fraud and sexual harassment which is why it is important to put an end to this practice. 

The director of Planning and Business Development at RTA’s Public Transport Agency, Mohammad Abu Bakr Al Hashemi stated that there are a number of smart taxis and ride-hailing services available in the region which are safe and should be used by the citizens as opposed to choosing the carpooling option.

Although banning carpooling will affect a lot of people, it does have some disadvantages, especially for women. Do share your thoughts if you are one of those who will get affected by this rule.

1 hour ago, skumar83 said:

Does taking office colleagues in your car defined as car pooling? How do the authorities differentiate ?

You should better call RTA or Dubai Police to seek an advice, which seems quite legit in your case but better to check than assume.

Read this today's GN article on same news: https://gulfnews.com/news/uae/transport/dh3-000-fine-for-carpooling-in-uae-1.2279736

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

4 hours ago, skumar83 said:

Does taking office colleagues in your car defined as car pooling? How do the authorities differentiate ?

This is what I’m confused about.

Before I shifted to outside Dubai I used to travel with my colleagues every day. Of course we all shared petrol costs evenly and if the car broke down we made a team effort to fix it putting in our own labour specialities but it wasn’t a profit driven agenda. It was just getting to work and splitting the cost and not having to stand next to someone in the metro for 45 minutes who hadn’t showered for 4 days. 

I think this is more aimed at the “car lifts” aka the illegal taxis. The people advertising their services of Facebook and the like need to be the ones worrying. Maybe. 

• Like (+1) 1

Most of the developed countries are encouraging the car sharing or even the ride (taxi) sharing ideas now so that they can reduce the traffic, pollution, reduce emission, reduce use of natural resources etc.

I humbly request RTA and Dubai Police to find a better way to deter crime or abuse possibility than this blanket rule. Everyday during morning and evening office hours we see over 90% cars with single person inside means, not good. 

Possibility of using the public transport is a good idea, but it need to be capable in handling end to end solution and not take 1 hour instead of 15 mins drive.

Carpooling with friends and colleagues should be allowed if they are living in same or nearby area and going to work in same office.

• Like (+1) 1