•  
Advertise here

Tesla 3 ..- 5 techy things to know!

Jeh

One thing I do is , its a bad idea to buy a Tesla, not because its a bad car but because of the company and CEO treats their customers like shit. First you couldn't even buy a single screw and install it yourself, Only Tesla sells tesla parts and no one else ( hence the big market in salvage Teslas to be used as parts ) and all work to be carried out only by tesla approved shops and last I heard now they are saying all body work will only be done at the Tesla factory. 

So if you ding your car, you have to send the car to the Tesla factory in california to get it repaired, not to mention when in 3-5 years you need to replace your entire battery, thats going to cost you your left arm and right testicle. 

Too expensive and too much of a hassle to be driving. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, desertdude said:

One thing I do is , its a bad idea to buy a Tesla, not because its a bad car but because of the company and CEO treats their customers like shit. First you couldn't even buy a single screw and install it yourself, Only Tesla sells tesla parts and no one else ( hence the big market in salvage Teslas to be used as parts ) and all work to be carried out only by tesla approved shops and last I heard now they are saying all body work will only be done at the Tesla factory. 

So if you ding your car, you have to send the car to the Tesla factory in california to get it repaired, not to mention when in 3-5 years you need to replace your entire battery, thats going to cost you your left arm and right testicle. 

Too expensive and too much of a hassle to be driving. 

I partly agree with your statement, but have the following things in mind:

Tesla technology is beyond anything what's currently on the market, which begs the questions:

* Who is even remotely skilled to service these cars ? The battery packs are a potential bomb if not handled properly.

* Every time something happens with a Tesla, be it in auto-drive or serious failures, we read about it in the news. Imagine the potential risks of a freelance company servicing these cars and fiddling with the software and settings. Serious deadly accidents could happen and it would again reflect badly towards Tesla itself.

I think that in the future Tesla might create franchised workshops with trained people and might slowly open up a bit to the market. Especially now all the big players are coming onto the market with Electric vehicles. That brings me back to the same question: imagine we buy an electric BMW or Mercedes, to which independent workshop can we take it now to get it serviced/repaired ?? Nobody wants to burn their fingers on technology that is so advanced. (just thinking about the I8 now)...

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

This is the same point auto experts in the last automechanika were discussing and realizing that aftermarket auto industry and auto servicing workshops should need to take adequate steps to keep pace with growing EV in the market

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Frederic Nuyttens  / @desertdude You should look into this youtube channel, Rich Rebuilds

This guy proves the while there is quite a lot about Tesla that is brand new kind of tech, it isn't extremely new and pretty much anyone with a good grasp of engineering and electrics should be able to handle the whole thing with ease.
There are people in various parts of the world building EVs using tesla batteries...
https://youtu.be/fXsQGWWz3Is

Look up the White Zombie on youtube.

Previously electricians used to handly those large television tubes with relative ease. My dad told me that if you don't handle it probably, an old TV tube could kill you.
This is just Tesla being the Apple of the car world.

Edited by knightjp
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, knightjp said:

@Frederic Nuyttens  / @desertdude You should look into this youtube channel, Rich Rebuilds

This guy proves the while there is quite a lot about Tesla that is brand new kind of tech, it isn't extremely new and pretty much anyone with a good grasp of engineering and electrics should be able to handle the whole thing with ease.
There are people in various parts of the world building EVs using tesla batteries...
https://youtu.be/fXsQGWWz3Is

Look up the White Zombie on youtube.

Previously electricians used to handly those large television tubes with relative ease. My dad told me that if you don't handle it probably, an old TV tube could kill you.
This is just Tesla being the Apple of the car world.

Pretty much anyone with a good grasp of engineering and electrics.... YES, i can include myself into that. But most independent workshops that i've encountered only have basic electronics experience, and i don't say that to bash them, but merely pointing to the fact that their training is currently still more mechanically inclined. And a guy that is just able to connect an OBD reader to the car is NOT an electronics engineer...

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Frederic Nuyttens said:

Pretty much anyone with a good grasp of engineering and electrics.... YES, i can include myself into that. But most independent workshops that i've encountered only have basic electronics experience, and i don't say that to bash them, but merely pointing to the fact that their training is currently still more mechanically inclined. And a guy that is just able to connect an OBD reader to the car is NOT an electronics engineer...

I tend to agree. Most independent shops mostly focus on simple head unit installations, speakers, etc. Nothing majorly electrical. What is even worse is that they are so rooted and set in their ways, they are even willing to give anything new a try or won't even apply simple common sense into whatever they are working on.

However you tend to notice that if someone can create and EV in his garage, and Rich can work on Tesla by himself, there isn't much to it, except understanding the engineering; to which most mechanics are even bothered to try.
They more or less presume that oil and gas aren't going to go away in their lifetimes and they would rather continue with what they know than learn something new.

• Like (+1) 1

Creating a basic EV in your garage is indeed not so difficult. But the generation of electric vehicles that are popping up now have stuff on board like energy recovering brake systems, and a ton of software to keep all those things working properly, thousands of sensors, data cabling, etc etc... i’d love to get my hands on a scrapped Tesla to rip it apart and learn, but without access to the CPU it’s a black box with trial and error. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Frederic Nuyttens said:

Creating a basic EV in your garage is indeed not so difficult. But the generation of electric vehicles that are popping up now have stuff on board like energy recovering brake systems, and a ton of software to keep all those things working properly, thousands of sensors, data cabling, etc etc... i’d love to get my hands on a scrapped Tesla to rip it apart and learn, but without access to the CPU it’s a black box with trial and error. 

There are some pretty awesome EVs being built in garages with all of that stuff on board. So can't really say that it is only possible through Tesla or some other major manufacturer.

Its too bad that we don't live in the US, where such projects are possible. I mean finding a scrapped Tesla over will be near impossible.

• Like (+1) 1