•  
Advertise here

Free Registration for Electric Cars in RAK

Car News

Car registration costs a good amount of money in the UAE. However, if you own or plan to buy an electric car, you can get it registered absolutely free in Ras Al Khaimah.

The Ras Al Khaimah Police have announced that there will be no fee whatsoever for registration, renewal and ownership transfer for electric vehicles from October 1st to December 31st, 2018. The decision was taken by His Highness Sheikh Saud bin Saqr Al Qasimi, Member of the Supreme Council and Ruler of Ras Al Khaimah.

The Commander-in-Chief of the RAK Police, Major-General Ali Abdullah bin Alwan Al Nuaimi, stated that the decision has been taken in accordance with the UAE's strategy to adopt clean energy by 2040. In order to promote the strategy, the use of electric vehicles will be increased which will help in reducing the fuel consumption. He further mentioned that this step will help in cutting down pollution and encourage the industries related to electric vehicles.

Do you prefer electric cars over gas-powered cars? Do let us know if you plan to buy an electric car soon.

4 minutes ago, desertdude said:

In my year and half in RAK Ive seen one electric car, a Tesla with a Dubai plate.

Which is no doubt why they have decided to waive registration fees for electric cars; it won't cost them any revenue. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I would really like to see real world daily driver usage of an electric vehicle in these parts. Where the AC is on all the time ie zapping power and you ar stuck in for hours in traffic and the havoc the 50c heat will play on thr batteries. 

Last time I saw the Tesla it was sitting parked with an inch of dust all over it.

Edited by desertdude

Tesla’s are more common in Dubai than they would be in RAK. If you’re out and about all day you might spot a handful. Nowhere near Camry levels of popular but they’re at the stage where it’s on the same level of chance as spotting a Ferrari now.

Cant say anything about reliability as I don’t personally know anyone who owns one. Back doors are cool as heck though.

FA1285BC-D381-4934-A0DC-3175A1DD5510.jpeg.08f420dbb4a40850412e696a42d6b4b3.jpeg

Tesla seem to have the electric market covered here. I never seen a Leaf or a Zoe and they would be the most popular in Europe. 

And two reasons for that probably. One, dealership is in dubai Two, probably doesnt have the range to go somewhere farther and come back so they are all stuck in dubai! Lol.

Yes I know listed range is 500kms plus but in a real world hot weather with everything on, on highway its down to half that. 

Unlike IC cars mileage gets worse on highway for electrics. 

And just