•  
Advertise here

Is Riding Motorcycle safe in UAE ?

Sidshk

I’m planning on doing it too. Used to ride bikes at home. The biggest issue you will face is other vehicles. You see how cars manage to hit each other on straight roads here, sorry mate I didn’t see you. They have even less awareness of spotting a bike. I seen a few guys on delivery bikes getting hit and they’ve always ended up in an ambulance. These guys never wear any safety gear other than a helmet so it’s no surprise they come out badly in an accident. Sandals and polo shirt are not appropriate for riding a bike on a road. You’ll need proper trousers, jacket, boots, gloves, helmet at the least. A back protector is a good investment too. A full set of gear could cost you half the price of the bike but it’s worth it. You WILL fall off at some stage but you never know when so it’s best to always dress appropriately, even if you’re driving a kilometre to the shop. There are ventilated fabric clothes suitable for summer use so there’s no excuse. The other thing is don’t put yourself in bad situations. Be aware if you’re in someone’s blind spot and they can’t see you, always expect people around you to do unexpected things like randomly change lanes without indicating or brake for no reason. 

I would say riding a bike in the uae is a little bit more dangerous than in western countries because of the differing attitude of car drivers, but then again it can be dangerous anywhere. You just need to take some steps to protect yourself and try to stay one move ahead of everyone around you. 

This is indeed in my things to do list since last 18 years in UAE, and still, now I'm always reluctant due to high-speed of vehicles around here. If you talk about European and Asian countries then bikers are in good majority so every car driver has a sense of spotting them and respecting their lifes. Secondly, in those countries, roads are quite narrow where top speed within a city is not usually above 60-80 km, then here 120-140.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Even in Asian countries like India where the road speeds hardly exceed 40 - 60 km per hour, I find it completely unsafe to drive a bike purely because of the road etiquette. I have seen far too many loved ones involved in bike accidents to last a life time. The fact that your life is dependent on so many external factors (read as idiotic drivers) makes me wonder that for other than an economic reasons why would one want to drive a bike.

Never been to Eurpoe, so not quite sure whats the accident rate over there.

Also, Barry has raised a very valid point that many times the bikers are in the blind spot, and even though its not their mistake it is a high risk position. Better to tread the cautious route instead and avoid bikes as far as possible.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, skumar83 said:

Even in Asian countries like India where the road speeds hardly exceed 40 - 60 km per hour, I find it completely unsafe to drive a bike purely because of the road etiquette. I have seen far too many loved ones involved in bike accidents to last a life time. The fact that your life is dependent on so many external factors (read as idiotic drivers) makes me wonder that for other than an economic reasons why would one want to drive a bike.

Never been to Eurpoe, so not quite sure whats the accident rate over there.

Also, Barry has raised a very valid point that many times the bikers are in the blind spot, and even though its not their mistake it is a high risk position. Better to tread the cautious route instead and avoid bikes as far as possible.

I agree but that was past in India, No biking is quite safe specially in Metro cities due to road and safety education

I was riding bike in India past month and its was very safe 

Its not for economic reason its for passion for riding bikes 

6 minutes ago, Sidshk said:

Its not for economic reason its for passion for riding bikes 

I do have the same passion, and if ever I get a license and bike I will opt for riding on an empty road during weekend early morning long drives (out of the city). There are many bikers we see when we plan our offroad trips at the meeting point on Petrol stations.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, skumar83 said:

Like I said, its just that something I dont understand or maybe I dont want to understand

Probably you have not done biking enough, that's why.

I have driven for 3 years every day to work and then for race and rallies during the weekend. I was probably having the fastest bike in Delhi in 1997-2000, good ol days.