•  
Advertise here

Any tips on buying a used Xterra

Jeh

Very good question @Jeh. Exterra is a very goid choice when it comes to off-road and on road drive combined, I feel maybe just a little uncomfortable for on road use only. It comes with only the 4.0 litre V6 option, with the petrol prices rising and for on road only I would prefer something like a Toyota Prado 2.7 litre 4 cylinder engine. More comfort and a bit of an advantage with fuel saving.

If buying a second hand Exterra I would go for a 2010 model or newer with less than 150k on the clock preferable off road version if I want to take it off road. Simple car with not many problems and tons of fun to be had.

First thing I would do on purchase is do a major service changing all fluids, oils, filters, plugs, belts, etc. Better safe than sorry.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like (+1) 1

1 year ago I bought a used 2013 X trim, which is the basic trim. It comes cheaper but has no differencial (personally I have never felt that it was  essential), so I would recommend to go for this one rather than off-road pricy trim, and, if you really need, you can upgrade it with lifting, adding off-road suspensions, etc. 

Pro : it’s just perfect for dunes and sand, very powerful. Also good on road. I truly am very happy with it.

Cons : maybe the original suspensions and the audio system (no auxiliary or mp3 before year 2014)

I went for a complete check of the car before I brought it, since I don’t know anything about mechanic. I only had to change the shock absorbers, an upper arm and a tire sensor. 

Have a look at the rear and front recovery points to know if the car has gone off-road or not. It’s not a 100% reliable test, but it can give you an idea. 

Hope this helps you a little bit.

• Like (+1) 2

Yes Rahimdad, you’re right : it’s not the most confortable car on road, but not so bad too.

Regarding the gas, my average consumption on road is about 15L/100 km, but I must say that my driving style is little bit agressive.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, EmVarlet said:

Yes Rahimdad, you’re right : it’s not the most confortable car on road, but not so bad too.

Regarding the gas, my average consumption on road is about 15L/100 km, but I must say that my driving style is little bit agressive.

Thanks for the info  @EmVarlet. So what do you think might be an average consumption for not so aggressive and traffic less driving? 

Btw what is the full tank capacity for your vehicle? 

2 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

Very good question @Jeh. Exterra is a very goid choice when it comes to off-road and on road drive combined, I feel maybe just a little uncomfortable for on road use only. It comes with only the 4.0 litre V6 option, with the petrol prices rising and for on road only I would prefer something like a Toyota Prado 2.7 litre 4 cylinder engine. More comfort and a bit of an advantage with fuel saving.

If buying a second hand Exterra I would go for a 2010 model or newer with less than 150k on the clock preferable off road version if I want to take it off road. Simple car with not many problems and tons of fun to be had.

First thing I would do on purchase is do a major service changing all fluids, oils, filters, plugs, belts, etc. Better safe than sorry.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks @Rahimdad Bhai, consumption is not a major issue as its paid by the company :). My major worry is the maintenance and cost/availability of spare parts. That's the reason trying to find out about known issue model wise and how expensive/cheap is the solution to that problem. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Jeh said:

Thanks @Rahimdad Bhai, consumption is not a major issue as its paid by the company :)

Really.........! then go for V12 biturbo, why settling for Xterra.

Xterra on and offroad is a very good balance and also you can consider FJC within 30-40k budget, but FJC visibility is an issue due to smaller windows, but in performance, it's a tad better than Xterra.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Just be careful if you come across an American model. Some were made 2WD only :) 

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

21 minutes ago, Frederic Nuyttens said:

Just be careful if you come across an American model. Some were made 2WD only :) 

Very valid point and tbh I would say stay away from US specs altogether, stick to GCC one's for no headache and surprises

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.