•  

Off road club grading structure

Rahimdad

7 hours ago, Frederic Nuyttens said:

The question is sometimes what they have learned in other clubs or how confidence relates to actual skills.

I have always been thankful on the big emphasis on safety and camaraderie that lives in Carnity Off-Road Club. I am afraid there are many other clubs around in UAE that love the dune-bashing and wild stuff without properly building this up to a level in which they can do this in a safe way. Same for recovery techniques and convoy behavior. 

But agree with @BIG T that some people have previous experiences and will be able to grow on the ladder a bit faster than others and that is perfectly fine, as long as they are aware of the core values that live in this off-road community.

In my opinion y'all need to chill out with all this grading business and getting all tight ass with it. I've seen many clubs go down the shiitter because of it. 

One prime example I remember was Abu Dhabi 4x4 and they took themselves way too seriously. The marshall would come out dressed like the power rangers. And no matter who you were and what your past experiences. You had to go through a series of trips before you were allowed on anything fun.

First one was called a ANIT trip Absolute Newbie Something Trip. I used to make fun of it by calling it a neat trip lol. For a change I thought I'll join one of their trips only to find out I couldn't because I hadn't gone through their neat series of trips. Even though many other members knew me and my past from other clubs where I was Crew but no they were having none of it. I had to do the damn neat trips first. So I rightly told them to suck camel balls 

Point is not to take your selves too seriously. People go out on the weekend to have fun. If they want hierarchy and bureaucracy, they can go to the office on Friday too. Just to avoid a few people from getting butt hurt

There are people who are Marshall material from day one and then there are others who could be driving for years but still can't drive for shit. Those kind of people you kindly refuse on the more challenging trips. Instead of all these diagrams, charts, designations, ranks, levels etc etc BS. 

If shitters still insist on coming and spoiling the fun for others, then warn them that top gear rules apply. 

Edited by desertdude
  • Like (+1) 1

@desertdude you are just one of the thousands of member exist in any club, and you have no right to belittle Abu Dhabi 4x4 for their rules, policies, and procedures they have in place to tackle this extreme adventure sport. 

We have had this "no structure" for a long time and after so many lessons learned, all senior members voted to put a comprehensive structure that works as a guiding light rather than an obstruction to an offroad enthusiast's. This structure actually tells any offroader in Carnity Offroad Club of their capabilities, skills, and experience to join the appropriate level drive with a confidence than living on the edge of ambiguity - will I be able to cope up or not - oh this drive is so boring - omg why did I sign up for this.......!

I and Rahimdad have already clarified here that we respect everyone previous offroad experience and all it takes from them is to speak out and share your "unicorn skills" or "safari train track skills" so that we can put you in an appropriate rank.

We have had gazillions of the instances where many newcomers say that they have been driving for 2 years and then within 30 minutes we find them stuck on the first dune like a poster. Same story with Gulf news fun drive and Xplore UAE where you can tick any checkbox and then a few hours later sweep team spots 100's of posters sticking on one dune.

So far everyone who has come and drove with us has only appreciated this structure and quickly understood it's importance than butting their tight ass in their comfy 4x4

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Gaurav @Rahimdad my experience as an offroader in the desert for long drives and dune bashing is something new to me but i have an off-road experience in a different way and different country and it’s totally different i think u can understand what I mean, whats new to me is the things that can pass by the experienced people like you @Gaurav and @Rahimdad such as where is the best place to get the tools, the 3 times recovery horn and these kind of stuff but in terms of driving am sure my background is quite helpful and my experience in other driving styles will back me up big time thats why I suggested a test so you can highlight the most important parts in levels (newbie fewbie etc..) and evaluate my skills based on my results and how I handled the situation, and to be honest am with @desertdude on the fun aspect I joined to have fun and get my adrenaline pumped up, i do appreciate the system and as i said earlier I absolutely totally understand how and why this structure is important,

Nonetheless you guys are amazing and very kind and thoughtful and thank you for your leadership, patience and for sharing your expertise and for sure your grading system just to keep everyones safe

• Like (+1) 3

@BIG T appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to learn and grow. As you rightfully mentioned the grading structure is for everyone's safety, but more importantly to match the skill sets and patience levels. We will definitely evaluate your driving style and other skill levels and inspect your equipment to upgrade you to the next level. Thank you for your patience 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I respect the structure and appreciate the values of the club.

Unfortunately I can't participate every Friday, beside that I drive regularly during the week with friends. According the structure I am a newbie.

I don't want to jump over other people, but to keep the drives a bit challenging for myself, I ask kindly if I can join next drive a Fewbie drive. Just to keep it interesting for myself. 

Don't know how to raise this question, that's why I hijacked this topic.

Edited by Xaf
  • Like (+1) 4

@Xaf structure is not supposed to make anyone wait for others as it's not a queue system. Every offroader gets their independent offroad rank based on their driving skills first and secondly based on their participation and teamwork mentioned in the structure matrix.

I have observed you closely today and was impressed with your driving skills, same I have conveyed you twice.

Let me make a recommendation for your fewbie promotion with other seniors who have observed you in your previous 2 drives and will get back to you in a day or two.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Important Information

Terms of use