•  
Advertise here

Correct way to adjust your car side view mirror

Gaurav

Little old but priceless video to save lot of trouble, as many car drivers adjust the side view mirror in totally wrong way.

MUST WATCH AND SHARE

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

This is mostly for US spec cars which ave flat rear view mirrors rather than convex wing mirrors. Although some GCC cars have a weird setup like my L322 range rover where the drive side wing mirror is flat and passenger side in convex.

Which makes for an awkward situation to say the least, but now am used to it. And dunno ever since I started driving I have a weird habit of leaning as forward as I can when doing big lane changes or when I need to see blind apots as I can when looking into the mirror, a friend used to do it I guess I picked it up from him but this weird quirk of mine negates the habit of messing with the mirrors too much 

I have seen this video few years back and adjusted my Mustang mirrors perfectly. Received this forwarder again yesterday and fixed my Range mirrors exactly how he is demonstrating and now no need to check the shoulder by twisting neck or back. It does show car appearing in a perfect manner that much before it escapes from side view mirror, it hits the human eye peripheral view.

Posted it here, so I don't lose this for future, 1 min adjustment offers a lot of safety + add comfort.

• Like (+1) 1

Well that's just my own personal quirk which wont go away no matter how I set them. I guess can also be attributed early on to having switch multiple cars during the course of day.

Also this reminds me my Sheep Xj also had the same issue, driver side flat mirror and pax side regular good ol' convex. That was my first time and it annoyed me to no extent, so much so I bought a convex mirror and about the same size and stuck it on the other one.

This WHOLE DEBATE ABOUT BLIND SPOTS is virtually eliminated with the use of two convex mirrors, which was implemented by everyone because of that, which the yanks refuse to follow because of NHTSA "safety" reasons because it "changes the size of the car and thus making it hard to judge how far it is"  Hence they have those objects in the rear view mirror may appear smaller than they seem warnings on the one passenger side mirror.

My whole argument here is, people who have regular both convex mirrors should not follow this as this might actually create a blind spot closer in where there was none before ( Cant check confirm because my own stupid car has a flat mirror ) And as usual to dump some hate on flat rear view mirror setup.

Oh and all new cars in the US now have to have a rear camera by law. Chalk that one up to another weird NHTSA regulation. 

https://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/30/in-defense-of-convex-drivers-side-mirrors/

The thing about mirrors is that are only useful if people actually use them.

In some parts of the world, side mirrors appear to be optional extras in the same way that direction indicators are, since nobody seems to look into them, or use direction indicators to signal an intention to turn or make lane changes.  

I've lost count of the number of times I've nearly been sideswiped by  idiots that thought their side mirrors were there only for cosmetic reasons, or a diabolical plot by car manufacturers to make it more difficult to fit into tight parking spaces.   

There was a time in India in the early 90s when there used to be a single side view mirror on the drive side and that would invariably be folded. Upon asking the driver, he would state that by keeping it open someone driving past would break it.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

As an ex trucker driver, I can say that the rear view mirror is for girls. Learn to drive without it. What happens if you have to drive a van with no rear window or a pickup with a load on the back? If you haven’t got enough spacial awareness to know what’s going on around you using your side mirrors, you probably shouldn’t be driving. 

44 minutes ago, Barry said:

As an ex trucker driver, I can say that the rear view mirror is for girls. Learn to drive without it. What happens if you have to drive a van with no rear window or a pickup with a load on the back? If you haven’t got enough spacial awareness to know what’s going on around you using your side mirrors, you probably shouldn’t be driving. 

Been there done that. Although there was a time I wish the loaded LWB dually Chevy pickup I had to drive to Alalin had those side mirror extensions, as changing lanes at highway speeds on a busy highway is not something I would want to try very often again.

I seriously request everyone to spend 5 minutes on adjusting "SIDE VIEW MIRROR" as per above video and change back if you don't like it.

90% of you will like it for sure, only 10% might not due to the love of living with old habits.

Does anyone remember actual “wing mirrors”? 

I love classics and I’ve had a few cars with actual wing mirrors where the mirror was mounted on the wing, way up front near the headlight. Who ever thought that was a good idea?