•  
Advertise here

Correct way to adjust your car side view mirror

Gaurav

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:57 PM, Gaurav said:

I seriously request everyone to spend 5 minutes on adjusting "SIDE VIEW MIRROR" as per above video and change back if you don't like it.

90% of you will like it for sure, only 10% might not due to the love of living with old habits.

Sorry for the late reply, but my point here is that this is for a US spec flat mirror, just like the mirror in your bathroom, rest of the world including here use convex which give a bigger field of vision, from the edge of your car to your peripheral, virtually eliminating blind spots. 

I actually have tested this many times on long boring drives in my old p38 which had pretty small mirrors for it sides. Watch a car come up behind me in the center mirror in the overtaking lane then overtake me and I never lost sight of it it.

Adjusting convex mirrors to flat mirror standards is asking for trouble. 

• Like (+1) 1

i have made a habit of not touching them altogether as one of our teachers said leave them as they are and you keep yourself vigilant because some customers don't mind but some would get pissed about it...

and my desert cart has a missing center mirror but its useful the high beams at night are avoided....

You do know most cars have a tab on the center mirror if pulled it flips up at an angle. Then you can still see at night but minus the glare

P.S : I tried the video method on my driver side which has the flat mirror and it was totally shit. creating two new blind spots. while removing one

Uh the Americans and their weird ways!

Like always @desertdude you are missing the big point that video guy trying to make like many of other drivers.

IRRESPECTIVE of concave, convex, flat and double layered side view mirror, if the driver doesn't know how to adjust them correctly that SUBSTANCE is a waste of resources.

People adjust the side view mirror seeing half of their cars and half road, whereas per that video when you tilt toward each side of side view mirror you are 95% seeing the road and just 5% your car. This change in adjustment literally increase the side view mirror reach and showing you every possible blind. I have fixed this in all my cars and literally never again twisting my neck or shoulder to check the blind spot.

This is how flat or concave mirror comes in 2012 Range Rover.

20181027_151334.jpg

20181027_151307.jpg

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

15 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Like always @desertdude you are missing the big point that video guy trying to make like many of other drivers.

IRRESPECTIVE of concave, convex, flat and double layered side view mirror, if the driver doesn't know how to adjust them correctly that SUBSTANCE is a waste of resources.

People adjust the side view mirror seeing half of their cars and half road, whereas per that video when you tilt toward each side of side view mirror you are 95% seeing the road and just 5% your car. This change in adjustment literally increase the side view mirror reach and showing you every possible blind. I have fixed this in all my cars and literally never again twisting my neck or shoulder to check the blind spot.

This is how flat or concave mirror comes in 2012 Range Rover.

20181027_151334.jpg

20181027_151307.jpg

Totally not missing the point here. The guy shows a particular way the mirror should be adjusted i.e sticking your face on the driver side mirror and then moving it outwards to a certain point. My point is that doesn't work for our GCC/ROW mirrors and just creates a blind spot. Maybe you are not getting it because you might have never experience US spec flat mirrors and how much reduced rear field of view they give. And if you set them up like our regular GCC mirrors i.e with a tiny bit of out car showing then you can hardly see anything behind  

I was assuming ( could be wrong here ) it was pretty obvious to everyone the way to adjust "our" mirrors is to move them out with your head in its natural driving position where you can just see a tiny sliver of your car, Also not facing skywards with the road barely visible at the bottom. 

P.S : From your pics IMO from the pics your mirrors are still too inwards. I move them outwards when only a thin sliver/strip of your car is visible on the inner edge of the mirror. You have way too much car showing.

P.P.S : After I got my stupid flat rear view mirrored L322 I learned Land Rover ditched this stupidity in 2005 and went back to regular convex mirrors on both sides. But at 400 dhs a pop I was willing to take my chances. 

Glad you understood the actual point, as that's what has been missed by the majority of drivers.

And yes I have also seen driver seeing the sky than the road as if some alien invasion is going to happen today.

P.S. My mirror is adjusted fully outward, but I leaned to get the good comparative pic.

This is in Pajero

image.png

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this post! I had a few close shaves already in the 7-lane roads of Dubai.  After reading this yesterday, I have reset my side-view mirrors and tested them on my way home last night.  For sure it makes a massive difference, but it does need some time to get used to (especially since it limits the distance in the rear that you can observe - which should be OK if you use the rear-view mirror more often).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

• 6 months later...

Thank you @Gaurav I have read the thread and watched the video 

I will see how the adjustment works in forward driving and in reverse parking in both my X ( both side mirrors concave ) and JGC ( driver flat and passenger concave ) .... to be continued 

cheers 🚙👍🙏🏻

well ... it’s working fine for me . It felt bit weird at the beginning as subconsciously I was used to see the far distant view on my side mirrors but I realized it’s at the expanse of a huge blind spots right and left . Now my neck muscles are relaxed more and blearily I move the head just for more safety but it’s like a glance to my door window than a jerky head tilt ! And to my surprise even with that the object still seen in the mirror . No spots at all in all type of mirrors . 

cheers 🙏🏻😎🚙

Well I can report that it really helped me to set up the mirrors the way it has been mentioned in the video. In my Jeep driver side mirror went all the way out still it did not reach the desired level of setting mentioned in the video, however the new setting greatly helped me in the visibility. After been driven Santa Fe that indicated cars in blind spot, I used to be uncomfortable in the Jeep, and always a bit more anxious. 

• Like (+1) 1

don't drive like its your last one.