•  
Advertise here

Unicorns

Barry

You know, the type of car you only see once in a lifetime, even if it’s a special edition of a regular car, share it with us!

Just came across this for sale. 2 door Mk4 Cortina. I saw one maybe 15 years ago. Was super rare then, never expected to see another. 

B52241F8-5F63-4470-84D6-E84262A88EBE.jpeg.10af7add6819ac0d6bbd8df4a3a21992.jpeg

1 hour ago, Barry said:

You know, the type of car you only see once in a lifetime, even if it’s a special edition of a regular car, share it with us!

Just came across this for sale. 2 door Mk4 Cortina. I saw one maybe 15 years ago. Was super rare then, never expected to see another. 

B52241F8-5F63-4470-84D6-E84262A88EBE.jpeg.10af7add6819ac0d6bbd8df4a3a21992.jpeg

We have had millions of Mk4 & closely related Mk5 Cortinas here, but this is the first example of a two-door model I have ever seen. A true unicorn, this. 

• Like (+1) 1

Same. Cortinas were everywhere, when the Sierra came out it was uncool to own the older cortina so most of them disappeared. If you have a 4 door cortina now, you are a god in the classic ford scene. If you have a 2 door, you are the local mayor. 

@treks you had some fancy cars in your place too. If you could collect all the XR8s and ship them to uk, you could live like a king. 

8 hours ago, Barry said:

Same. Cortinas were everywhere, when the Sierra came out it was uncool to own the older cortina so most of them disappeared. If you have a 4 door cortina now, you are a god in the classic ford scene. If you have a 2 door, you are the local mayor. 

@treks you had some fancy cars in your place too. If you could collect all the XR8s and ship them to uk, you could live like a king. 

There weren't all that many XR8's sold here. They were made on special order, and at the time, their high price counted against many orders being placed. Nonetheless, I did own an XR6 for 26 years, during which time I went somewhat out of my way to keep it in excellent condition. Point is, when I sold it to a local collector, it had less than 80 000 km on the clock, and I got more than 10 times more for it than I paid for it in 1981. So yes, if you can still find them in good nick, there is some money to be made.  

1 hour ago, sertac said:

Ford used the name Taunus here for cars that came before the Cortina. These came with 1.7L and 2.0L engines and were hugely popular among the demolition derby crowd because they were extremely tough (the cars were) and it took a lot to disable them.  

• Like (+1) 1

Few examples of Unicorns in Carnity classifieds: 1 of 5, 1 of 499 and Gold plated

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

You know this limited number supercar thing is a bit of scam to make their car seem a bit more rarer so they can up the price. Every since vinwiki came out people have been tracking cars by their vin numbers and almost always more cars are counted than the manufacturer said they will produce. I think La Ferrari is one of the biggest culprit of that.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, desertdude said:

You know this limited number supercar thing is a bit of scam to make their car seem a bit more rarer so they can up the price. Every since vinwiki came out people have been tracking cars by their vin numbers and almost always more cars are counted than the manufacturer said they will produce. I think La Ferrari is one of the biggest culprit of that.

It's OK if you have an issue with limited numbers then you can go with Gold plated Rolls Royce for instant prestige and no proving your point of limited edition with all the bling of Gold.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Nah I was just saying how these supercar manufacturers con people into thinking their car is rarer than it actually is this driving up the price. 

This obviously works because these cars are now selling for twice the original price of a new one.  I think a dream fpr all those people who buys cars where resale value is a big factor in their decision.

Me personally have never given a rats ass about depreciation or don't think I ever will. 

As for unicorns, what exactly defines one. Seen plenty of one off cars Ive seen here, for example the famous West Coast built 2 door Range Rover Stormer, which was a drawing of a concept car by LR but then west coast went and built one out of a new Range Rover sport.  The whole episode is available to watch om YouTube.

Also I saw the original Pimp mobile here. The Stutz Prote. Bet many people don't know what it is or what it even looks like! 

I'll see if I can find the pic I took and post it later in thr day. 

Also does a Alpina B7 count? Seen that do. Go to Cars and Drivers garage in Deira and it never fails to have some weird and rare cars in their in for some work. Seen all of them there

Lucky for me my buds shop is very close by and I visited it often