•  
Advertise here

Camry 2005 axle repair. Please advise.

Dr-A

5 hours ago, adil said:

Japanese are the best car makers who install less feature but all long time working feature and not going tom fail after 2 year in sun

And hence the myth continues of the jap eco boxes. If you buy the mid level boxes or their top specs, they come with the same bells and whistles as any one elsw

8 minutes ago, desertdude said:

And hence the myth continues of the jap eco boxes. If you buy the mid level boxes or their top specs, they come with the same bells and whistles as any one elsw

True, I only recently changed the top engine mount, water pump and drive belt which cost me around 1000dh with fixing charges, I got it from sharjah authorized dealers.

And to think that Jap cars are reliable and cost less to repair.....

1 hour ago, treks said:

Maybe so, but the thing with buying parts from scrapyards is that you just don't know what you are getting. Sometimes you are lucky and a part lasts for a while, and sometimes you are not lucky, and a part fails within days, or as I have seen on occasion, within hours. It's a bit like gambling, really.  

I know and agree from where you thinking, but with mechanical parts usually look will tell a lot of history. As before this half cut, I got my Pajero axle from scrap that lasted a good 2-3 year with regular offroad use. Dealer needed 2 months to wait for special order and 3000 dhs whereas scrap gave for 100 dhs instantly, as it was a least moving item for them and they were very happy to find me a clean one from a bunch of 20 axles.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Getting to pick your own parts in a scrapyard is a good thing if you know what you’re doing. Helps to be on good terms with them too. When I was working in the scrapyard we would try to get rid of the old parts first. It wasn’t so much about being an AH, it’s just trying to get rid of stuff that most people don’t want and it’s  taking up space. You still have to get the money out of the cars you buy for stripping and unless you sell the parts off it, you aren’t making a profit and nobody goes into business to break even. If someone was to bring you a few cans of beer or an ice cream on a hot day, that’s a game changer. Then they got to pick what they wanted. 

• Like (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, Barry said:

Getting to pick your own parts in a scrapyard is a good thing if you know what you’re doing. Helps to be on good terms with them too. When I was working in the scrapyard we would try to get rid of the old parts first. It wasn’t so much about being an AH, it’s just trying to get rid of stuff that most people don’t want and it’s  taking up space. You still have to get the money out of the cars you buy for stripping and unless you sell the parts off it, you aren’t making a profit and nobody goes into business to break even. If someone was to bring you a few cans of beer or an ice cream on a hot day, that’s a game changer. Then they got to pick what they wanted. 

Hence Im on very good terms with my scrappy, new parts guys and workshop guys and get prices other people lose their minds when they find out how much I paid. Or do me favours they usually don't for others. Like I wanted a 2" lift kit for my Disco1 you don't get here, so he just ordered it with his next shipment of parts, I didn't have to pay shipping as it was in their bulk order ( anybody who has paid shipping for heavy car parts know just how much of a saving that in itself is ) and I only paid the price of standard suspension bits and ofcourse I got my usual discount on that too. Or the scrappy will scrounge through his collection for the beat bits to let me take my pick, let me know if fresh bits are coming so better to wait a while. Once the poor guy late on Friday, a holiday, went to his shop just for me picked up an alternator my p38 and then I went to his house and picked it up from his house in the middle of the night, because I didn't have a working car to go to his shop and his place was closer to mine.

Also helps that Ive been driving only Land Rovers for 12-13 years now so have a long term repo with the guys.

This is another reason why I don't really want to change vehicle brand, I got a sweet network for my Landys going, which Ive built over the years. I know exactly what's wrong where to get it, how much its gonna cost, new or used and if I can fix it myself or will have to give it to the shop.

With any thing else I'll be just as clueless your average joe about everything.

Edited by desertdude