•  
Advertise here

4 minutes ago, desertdude said:

And by your own words its not, a single woman on her own should get a dog and some tazers and teargas just so she can get a Pajero! 😂 😂

Both have nothing to do with her choice of car but were merely comments on her choice to sleep in the car because of safety reasons.

If you own a Pajero btw, people automatically steer clear from you so that’s an extra plus !

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Confused (0) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

2 hours ago, Jamy B. said:

Thank you all so much for your advice, it has been invaluable.

I'm considering the Prado, however what option should I consider in terms of year, model etc? V6 4l LTR? It's a minefield out there haha

Also would you recommend that I buy direct from the owner or via a dealer? I'm wary of both options to be honest.

Stay away from the inline 4 cyl model. Its a gutless POS. And get it from a private owner, who looks like he could have afforded it and afforded to maintain it with no fishy background stories. And the second hand car market sucks right now and is a buyers market, so don't be afraid to bargain hard or walkaway from a crappy deal. 
Dealers can afford to keep inventory sitting on their lot and don't negotiate much with usually cheap patch up repairs to flip over quickly. 

6 minutes ago, Frederic Nuyttens said:

Both have nothing to do with her choice of car but were merely comments on her choice to sleep in the car because of safety reasons.

Well then its not in the running in this thread here is it. 

6 minutes ago, Frederic Nuyttens said:

If you own a Pajero btw, people automatically steer clear from you so that’s an extra plus !

Really ? Never seen that happen and nor do I stay away from them. This honour usually belongs to blacked out lowered Patrols and Cruisers riding on 900 sand tyres with loud exhausts. 

But after 40 plus years in this country, never seen that happen with a Pajero. Because usually old tame uncles are found behind the wheel of one :)

Edited by desertdude
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Frederic Nuyttens said:

Aren’t we all at some point ? After all, our opinions are based on experiences and mistakes we made in the past... The FACT is that a Pajero is a viable option here.

I totally agree! Pajero is, in fact, my second option. As you mentioned, it would do both everyday drive and off-roads when needed being greatly reliable.

I do appreciate your opinion. Thanks for sharing it :)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

19 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Stay away from the inline 4 cyl model. Its a gutless POS. And get it from a private owner, who looks like he could have afforded it and afforded to maintain it with no fishy background stories. And the second hand car market sucks right now and is a buyers market, so don't be afraid to bargain hard or walkaway from a crappy deal. 
Dealers can afford to keep inventory sitting on their lot and don't negotiate much with usually cheap patch up repairs to flip over quickly. 

Well then its not in the running in this thread here is it. 

Really ? Never seen that happen and nor do I stay away from them. This honour usually belongs to blacked out lowered Patrols and Cruisers riding on 900 sand tyres with loud exhausts. 

But after 40 plus years in this country, never seen that happen with a Pajero. Because usually old tame uncles are found behind the wheel of one :)

Which model/year and max of km would you recommend then?

Thank you again!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

being back to the initial thing was that the car would run in mena region should not be a fuss to maintain as far as i know the pajero would not fall in it nicely as the african market is much more interested in the 4 cyl diesel pajero then the 6 cyl pajero i guess @treks could shed some light in that statement   

and almost all the united nations missions there maintain usually the lc, and the lc pick up which is also basically the same things internally you wont have to think twice for comparing the lc vs the pajero in this market i am sure

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Jamy B. said:

Which model/year and max of km would you recommend then?

Thank you again!

Kms unless it has verified history are easily reversible on these things takes a trip down to shj and 50dhs to reset it to anything you like. But still try to get the lowest possible but dont let that be the only factor or deal breaker. If the car is well looked after and maintained a high miler is preferable to an abused low miler. Although if looked after Ive seen them go up to 600k kms! And still drive well..

Years would be between 2003-2007 4dr V6. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, shadow79 said:

Fj I get it but Prado of which era are you suggesting..? Fj and Prado from 04 onwards and Lc after 07 share the same engine gear...? V6 2gr and they too are strong cars but lc100 has this curde ready for all vibe to it...parts availability side of all the cars you have mentioned more votes should go to Lc 100 

FJC started production from 2008 and not 2004, I am suggesting as latest as she can afford in 50k range - maybe 2014-2015

Prado shares everything of LC except the boat size length and weight, which is a BIG BUMMER in wadi, mountains, and desert. I had LC100 for 2 years and use to skip all tall dunes as it never use to climb up. For mountain steep climb and sharp steering, I need to reverse 4-5 times to articulate that beast uphill due to its length. It's just not fun how bad turning angle Toyota has designed fo full size 4x4.

Prado she can get the older shape or even newer shape, both are built great although older version will be a tad lighter and less bloated to keep it nimble for offroad.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

6 hours ago, Jamy B. said:

Thank you all so much for your advice, it has been invaluable.

I'm considering the Prado, however what option should I consider in terms of year, model etc? V6 4l LTR? It's a minefield out there haha

Also would you recommend that I buy direct from the owner or via a dealer? I'm wary of both options to be honest.

Yes only buy Prado V6 and not V4 (highly underpower for your use).

In 40-50k range you can fetch 2008-2010 easily.

I highly prefer a direct owner with their name on the registration card and not private dealer saying my friend left country and bla bla stories as a middlemen. If you can't get a clean car with a private owner, there is no harm in trying reputed used car dealer but be prepared to shell out a couple of thousands dhs extra for finding a clean car - really worth the money in the long run - provided if the car is genuinely clean.

Try car that has the full-service history or even a partial service history as close as a current odometer to eliminate doubt of deferred maintenance and odometer reversing case.

@desertdude those odometer reversing is now thing of past, as since 2015 or 2016 RTA is recording all car kms in every renewal test and any discrepancy needs a proper justification.

Btw, good choice for Prado as it has the best resale value so you can never go wrong with this choice and always knock off within few days for a good price whenever you wish to change or upgrade.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

2 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Fj I get it but Prado of which era are you suggesting..?

that is two different lines sorry for confusion caused

Edited by shadow79
more info
  • Like (+1) 1