•  
Advertise here

Hi again,

Okay so I'm now actively looking at buying a Prado.

I have seen this one for sale on dubizzle https://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/used-cars/toyota/prado/2018/12/8/toyota-prado-2008-v6-40-ltr-vx-limited-edi-2/?back=L3NlYXJjaC8%2Fa2V5d29yZHM9dG95b3RhK3ByYWRvJmlzX2Jhc2ljX3NlYXJjaF93aWRnZXQ9MSZpc19zZWFyY2g9MQ%3D%3D&pos=1

I know I can't go by an advert alone and will def go and view it etc... but this one looks decent to me. What should I be looking for to ensure it is "clean"?

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

Honestly, looks fine, something I would be interested to go have a look if I was in the market for a Prado myself.

Take a flashlight and have a through look in the engine bay and under the entire car for any oil leaks.

Check the transmission fluid. Should be somewhat pinkish and not smell burnt and brown. Engine oil should be at correct level. 

Check all the electronics. See if all windows go up and down. Side view mirrors works ac blows cold and ac fan works at all speeds. 

Car should drive smooth and transmission should shift smooth through all gears, no clunks and thuds no vibrations. Try to get up to highway speeds and see of it still drives smooth no excessive wind noise, no vibrations and rattles.

Shift it into low range and see it actually engages. Think these are fulltime 4x4 so lock the center diff, button with four wheels with a X in the center and if you can find a patch of sand to test. Go full lock circles slowly on tarmac and wheels should squeal and bind indicating its working. 

Oh yeah check engine oil levels should be between minimum and maximum, ask them before you check the oil when was it last changed. If it was recently and its on the lower side or low, means car is burning excessive oil. 

• Like (+1) 5

Follow Desertdude advise as it is, but just be gentle with 4x4 LO gear on the tarmac and don't drive above 30-40 speed, same for turning - be gentle.

You should also check the following things:

• Ask for full or partial service history and verify its stamped on the booklet or owner has receipts or service details
  • Look for driver side door sill, for oil change sticker when and where it was last changed to tell you a careful owner
  • Skip few speed bumps at slightly high speed (oops sorry) to see how suspensions are keeping up
  • Look closely under the seats and boot carpet for sand presence to verify if the car has been offroad
  • Pull the driver side seatbelt full out and see if it roll back smoothly or need a bit of assist. Slight assist with this age vehicle is acceptable, but if it needs to much pushback then car either has been in an accident or driven very rough on the road or on offroad for sure.
  • When the car is off, open the engine oil cap and put a flashlight inside and it should have a crisp golden color on moving parts and not dark brown - sludge feel means engine oil has been delayed in past or using some cheap engine oil.
  • If the exhaust is dripping few droplets of water, then that means the engine is happy and well kept, use it as a good sign
  • Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

37 minutes ago, Barry said:

If you find a car and need a mechanic to inspect it, send me a message

I definitely will! Thank you for offering. The one that was advertised today is already gone... I'll have to keep looking all the time and be faster next time, but I'm patient enough :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

1 minute ago, Jamy B. said:

I definitely will! Thank you for offering. The one that was advertised today is already gone... I'll have to keep looking all the time and be faster next time, but I'm patient enough :)

Told you, Toyota especially Prado is a piece of gold with an insane resale value. 

Good luck and good if you are patient enough to find a clean deal. It always takes me a 1-3 month to buy a car and sell within a week.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 minute ago, Gaurav said:

Told you, Toyota especially Prado is a piece of gold with an insane resale value. 

Good luck and good if you are patient enough to find a clean deal. It always takes me a 1-3 month to buy a car and sell within a week.

You were right, indeed! Thank you. Let the obsession begin haha

• Haha (+1) 3

while inspecting your prado please make sure that you check the right side front chassis for corrosion as almost all the prados have this problem as the water from the evaporator drain usually drops on that place and corrodes it you really dont wanna have a car with rusty or chassis repaired on the passing paper will put a dent on resale value and when you get it please extend that drain pipe in such a way that the drops end up on the ground....

• Like (+1) 2