•  
Advertise here

DIY $10 Jeep Wrangler JK ABS ESC Kill switch - Easy way

16 hours ago, Barry said:

Nice solution but there’s an easier way without cutting into the vehicles wiring loom. 

Pull the fuse, insert 2 male spade connectors into the fuse holder and connect them to a toggle switch via an external fuse holder with the same sized fuse.

Same result but easier to remove and return the car to standard with no damage to the wiring loom. Works on any car. 

True. Could work as well. I have seen there are other accessories like fuse taps that can also be modified to do the same thing. 

This is more of a one-time fix and like @Gaurav said, it's convenience. Agreed, we do have to get out of the car to do many things before we get off-road, but if there is any thing that can help make life easier, then why not :)

I think off-road garages charge AED 300-400 for this fix. I just wanted to put the info out there to show it can be done at no cost and a little elbow-grease.

BTW, I sourced the parts from these small accessory stores (the ones that do tint-filming and audio-video accessory stuff normally found in Dubai or Sharjah side roads). They lend me the switch, wire, spade connectors and even soldered the wire to the switch for 30dhs.   

Edited by Jocreative
  • Like (+1) 2

It's really very well done and documented for beginners as every offroader need this info for installing a kill switch for ABS and Traction control to enjoy real offroad in UAE desert.

Best 30 Dhs ever spent.

Maybe someone next can improvise this idea by installing the toggle switch like Barry mentioned and then pull a wire like you did to have a steering switch without cutting the loom.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

22 hours ago, Barry said:

Nice solution but there’s an easier way without cutting into the vehicles wiring loom. 

Pull the fuse, insert 2 male spade connectors into the fuse holder and connect them to a toggle switch via an external fuse holder with the same sized fuse.

Same result but easier to remove and return the car to standard with no damage to the wiring loom. Works on any car. 

Thats exactly what I've done because the steering column lock has failed and only way to fix it is to replace the entire steering column! It won't send a signal to the ECU that will let the ignition run, but if you disconnect power or remove and install the fuse it gives you one start until you pull out the key again.

So I had a  1-10 dhs shop bought 12v working light with a long enough wire and on off switch lying around, so pulled out the fuse, plonked in a couple of spade connectors, spliced in an external fuse holder which I bought for 10 dhs many moons ago and was lying the cubby box doing nothing. Ran the wire till the shifter.and double side taped the on off switch on the trans tunnel. Its pretty small and inconspicuous. 

So every time I switch off the car I just do the on off and leave so next time I get in, it starts right away and the on off thing has become second nature now.