•  

How to Deflate your Tyres

Frederic

For me, the simple deflator (Point 3) is the best way to deflate. I just feel the released air pressure on the back of my hand to judge when I should put the valve back in. Have got it reasonably figured upto an accuracy of 1-2 psi. Kinda makes my work easy instead of checking each tyre with a pressure gauge, though this method has failed me in the last two drives and I did have to take out the pressure gauge. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Confused (0) 1

@Frederic Nuyttens thanks for posting a very interesting topic. Like @skumar83 I prefer the valve remover, as you rightly put it have to be very careful not to loose the valve. Unlike @skumar83 even after over 10 years of off-roading I keep my pressure gauge with me to use science instead of doing guess work.

• Like (+1) 4

Nice topic and indeed you covered almost all type of deflator for offroading except one more which I have used: Staun.

People love their automatic deflation to precise psi you set them, but I couldn't master that PHD after months and lack of patience made me choose stem removal - fast, easy and F.Cheap. Carry valve stem whole strip that has 20 (i guess) and it cost 5 AED. After little practice, I stopped losing them and hardly replace new stem ever.

If someone or Staun can set their deflator to 12 psi and ship them, I wouldn't mind trying them again as they sound too good to be true, but yes time-consuming.

Image result for staun deflator

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

Nice topic and indeed you covered almost all type of deflator except one more which I have used: Staun.

People love their automatic deflation to precise psi you set them, but I couldn't master that PHD after months and lack of patience made me choose stem removal - fast, easy and F.Cheap. Carry valve stem whole strip that has 20 (i guess) and it cost 5 AED. After little practice, I stopped losing them and hardly replace new stem ever.

If someone or Staun can set their deflator to 12 psi and ship them, I wouldn't mind trying them again as they sound too good to be true, but yes time-consuming.

I also gave a try then gave up after 5 or 6 attempts, for the same reason. The only thing I will regret is the nice brass quatuor music you can hear when you deflate.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2

BTW, just a side note that newbie coming on drive doing the deflation with keys or stone and thinking its 14 psi when their knees start to pain is a wrong approach.

The newbie should borrow the gauge from others if they don't have so that they can see whether they are running on 14 psi vs 22 psi, that makes a whole lot of difference in sand.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

+1 to the Rapid Air Deflator. It follows the same valve-pull technique, but with a more cleaner and safer approach.

Also it's handy that the gauge is attached to it so you do not have to deflate, check with gauge, deflate again...etc.

Bought mine from Ace hardware. Quick and efficient. Lovin it. 

1062179319_deflatesuperior.jpg.8284d355c2b69e10c8bf1c49e98a0953.jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

15 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Nice topic and indeed you covered almost all type of deflator except one more which I have used: Staun.

I have used these too. The method to set these is easy.

My 2 cents - 
Pros: Can deflate all of them at once. 
Cons: Takes long as it deflates slower once the psi lowers. Not always accurate. The "programmed" setting can get loose in the bag.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Jocreative said:

Cons: Takes long as it deflates slower once the psi lowers.

Absolutely frustrating, and I forgot to mention that. Thanks @Jocreative

14 minutes ago, Jocreative said:

The "programmed" setting can get loose in the bag.

I never knew this secret before and always thought that last time I did some goof up. Damn bag.

Maybe they need to develop some locking setting spring mechanism than just simple twisting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 11:42 PM, Gaurav said:

I can relate to this I was using the JT Brooks deflators but I could not get them to work right no matter how many times I practiced I always got over-deflated in one tire.

This last weekend I tried the IndeFlate Tire Inflator and Deflator and I loved it, I finished deflating first than the other cars around me and it took me around 5 minutes to inflate all 4 tires. 

The only con is that it seems a little overwhelming and bulky at first to see all the hoses but once you get the hang of it you finish very fast.

This allowed me to install my flag while I was deflating so two birds with one stone. 

atdp4-bi-1.58.jpg

indi.jpg

Edited by Javier M
  • Like (+1) 6

Important Information

Terms of use