•  
Advertise here

5 things car driver doing it all wrong in UAE

brandan

5 things.jpg

Honking the horn - right way

• 1 or 2 quick short beep - friendly way to remind the driver to gain attention if he is lost on mobile on redlight while it turns green
  • 2 short beep + 2 short beep is enough for some annoying driver to give them a chance to start behaving on road
  • Long constant horn is outright rude and it should be only used to avoid a collision or in some extreme cases

The correct way to use headlights

• 1 or 2 quick flashes is enough to let the car ahead of you know to clear the way from overtaking (passing) lane
  • Constant flashing is considered rude and should only be used when you spot something seriously wrong in the car in front of you
  • If someone does constant flashing behind you means pull over and check your car from all sides unless you were blocking them

Brake light signaling

• 2 to 3 quick brake light signals if someone is too close to you to tell them back off in a civilized way
  • 2 to 3 brake light signals followed by constant brake light means slow down fast as traffic ahead is moving slowly
  • Constant brake light means to hold your steering tight and slow down very fast as traffic ahead is not moving at all 

Turn indicators - correct usage

• You should use them at least 20 - 30 meters ahead of your turn
  • You should use them at least 40 - 50 meters ahead of changing lanes
  • You should NOT use left turn indicator on the fast lane to intimidate others

Flasher or double indicator - the real meaning

• Only to be used in case of emergency stopping or slowing down suddenly on the fast-moving road for a short while
  • Can be used one quick blink to say thanks for sharing the lane, hi and bye to your friends and family on the road
  • NEVER meant to be used on rainy or foggy days, as it will not let you indicate your turn intention and cause accident
  • Like (+1) 6

@brandan thank you for sharing such a wonderful post, however I like to show my left turn signal while overtaking rather than flashing my lights or honking. i also use my left turn signal in overtaking lane if someone wants to pass me to show them that i am overtaking and will move out of his way as soon as I get the way.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, brandan said:

Honking the horn - right way

• 2 short beep + 2 short beep is enough for some annoying driver to give them a chance to start behaving on road

What if they don't behave, and understand these subtle signs....?

I have seen adamant driver driving at 80 on the fast lane of 120 and refuse to move away because you flashed them (gently) and hurt their egos, so they will pile 200 cars behind them to suffer.

If I can legally switch on my offroad light for such bruised ego characters I would love to do that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

I have seen adamant driver driving at 80 on the fast lane of 120 and refuse to move away because you flashed them (gently) and hurt their egos, so they will pile 200 cars behind them to suffer.

If I can legally switch on my offroad light for such bruised ego characters I would love to do that.

I had to do it 2 times. Yes! off road light killing egos :D

• Like (+1) 1

You forgot the most and all important shabab signal, a quick left and right indicator. Meaning . It's ON, come get some!  And a second most important and my favourite hand signal when someone flashes you, not not flipping the bird but a hand motion, come go over me if you can. This usually quiets down most people or they try to undertake you but a nasty one eyebrow lifted look usually kills all their enthusiasm for an altercation or any road rage that was brewing inside them

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

@brandan thank you for sharing such a wonderful post, however I like to show my left turn signal while overtaking rather than flashing my lights or honking. i also use my left turn signal in overtaking lane if someone wants to pass me to show them that i am overtaking and will move out of his way as soon as I get the way.

You are wrong. I mean for using left indicator in fast lane while tailgating someone to tell them move away

6 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Still wrong to honl or do faster flash to scrae driver in front. Those exception you can report to dubai police and they will call the driver to warn and behave without any fine but still works as i call them once to report reckless guy swevring lanes like a snake and 5 minute later after the call he become fine

4 hours ago, sertac said:

I had to do it 2 times. Yes! off road light killing egos :D

Not a good way to drive

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, desertdude said:

You forgot the most and all important shabab signal, a quick left and right indicator. Meaning . It's ON, come get some!  And a second most important and my favourite hand signal when someone flashes you, not not flipping the bird but a hand motion, come go over me if you can. This usually quiets down most people or they try to undertake you but a nasty one eyebrow lifted look usually kills all their enthusiasm for an altercation or any road rage that was brewing inside them

flipping the bird has a fine for 2000 dhs, if i rem correctly. Try if you are rich enough

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

The police tell people not to change lanes quickly but when you have most lanes occupied with cars driving at the same speed, sometimes you need to drive like the start of an F1 race. Lane discipline means nothing over here, so it's important to check both mirrors all the time. Also a dashcam has been very helpful in reporting dangerous driving, especially as people become more crazy due to the economy.

• Like (+1) 1