•  
Advertise here

Ticking/clicking noise - Mitsubishi common issue?

It seems I'm spamming this forum, but I hope everyone takes this as a positive since I keep coming back for more help from the group. :) 

On topic: since I just got a 2nd hand Pajero, obviously I've checked different units prior to selecting what I have bought, I've noticed the engine ticking/clicking sound all too common on this model (4th gen). Some had louder noise than others, but all seems to have this sound up to a certain extent. So I figured that the car I had selected is ok for it to have said sound since its a Pajero thing.

I've been reading about this and can see that its a common issue for Mitsu V6 engines. Culprit seems to be the valve lifters (lifter tick as its commonly referred to according to the internet). I've come across fixes as well, ranging from warming up (rev to 3000rpm for 15secs), to changing oil type, overfilling oil by 500ml, diesel flush, etc. etc., with each having positive and negative reviews. 

For the 4th Gen owners out there, or even older models as it seems to be present on earlier Pajero iterations as well, do you also experience this? If yes, have you done something about it?

This video seems to be the closest to what I've been hearing: 

• Like (+1) 1

First and the foremost you aren't spamming and don't think that way, the core of Carnity is to share knowledge and help car owners on GCC specific cars. Unless you are selling fake passports, degrees, drugs, watches or self-promotion is considered spam here and get shot every 10 minutes.

As per OP, this is the typical scenario of lifter starving of oil. If it only happens when the car is cold and goes away when it reaches idle temperature, its borderline acceptable.

After my recent engine change, for the first time I have used Mitsubishi engine oil from Habtoor and after 2-3 weeks I got the worst noise while startup and it got reduced a lot after the warm but it has not stopped completely. So I changed back to my Mobil1 and never heard of noise again. So yes this could be because of the inferior quality of oil that fails to reach to the lifter on top due to varied viscosity at varying temperature and failing to lube the lifters and rockers.

• Like (+1) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Thanks @Gaurav. I just had the oil changed and is supposedly good for another 10K so I can't afford to change oil anytime soon. I'll probably be a bit more selective (and assertive) in the specific oil to be used come next oil change.

In the interim, what if I add another 500ml oil as suggested by some? actually, the suggestion was 1 quart (approx. 0.9 liter) with the rationale behind this is that not enough oil reaches the lifters on top, hence add more. seems to have worked for some. will this work or is this not really advisable?

• Like (+1) 2

Which oil you used and from where you have purchased........? As it matters the most.

I have shot one engine due to oil starving - god only knows whether it was sub-standard oil, or oil pump failed for few seconds

I'm using Mobil 1 - 0W40 fully synthetic blend instead of 5W30 semi-synthetic (recommended) blend to provide better all-around lubrication. I think Habtoor oil was LUKOIL (maybe) and cost me 150-160 dhs for 4 liters, next I changed from Mobil 1 Sharjah and it cost me 240 aed for 0W40, same in Mobil 1 Dubai cost 350+

Does your lifter noise goes away once an engine is fully warmed up......?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Keithryan said:

The noise actually does not go away after warming up. It seems to be consistent..

Change oil is highly recommended if noise is not going away after engine if fully warmed up. Maybe show to the same guy and ask him to fix it, as they have done the oil change.

Is this the first time you hear this noise after the oil change.....? Then all the more reason to go back and give some love to that garage.

• Like (+1) 1

Before I brought my car to this garage, I had asked him to quote for timing belt change and 10k oil change. He basically discounted by removing the oil change costs. So this was basically just an add-on. At least I can tell myself this if/when I decide to again change oil.... 😠 

Btw, the noise was already there before I brought it in this garage. So there's that.

• Like (+1) 1

Hahaha, so freebie oil cant do really good tbh as its a lifeblood for your engine. You have to be very careful with the oil blend and brand for any car.

1. From how long you have this Pajero?
  2. From how long you have this ticking noise?
  3. How many km is it driven?
  4. When did you last change the oil filter?
  5. Have you ever changed engine oil pump?
  • Like (+1) 1