•  
Advertise here

Ticking/clicking noise - Mitsubishi common issue?

UPDATE:

So I've started with the legwork and visited Divya (or Dhanya, I'm confused which one I entered...) and checked out the tappet in the metal. Actual pic below:

IMG_2186.JPG.e3791170a0c6b75dfb2a280c5419ea55.JPG

One would think that a product labeled genuine (and Made in Japan!) is actually genuine. Seems legit? 

Seriously though, isn't Divya an authorised genuine Mitsu part dealer? And yet the price difference vs Habtoor is so significant that gets you to think twice. I actually asked the sales guy in Divya about this to which he said Habtoor doesn't give discount, hence the price difference. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Keithryan said:

UPDATE:

So I've started with the legwork and visited Divya (or Dhanya, I'm confused which one I entered...) and checked out the tappet in the metal. Actual pic below:

IMG_2186.JPG.e3791170a0c6b75dfb2a280c5419ea55.JPG

One would think that a product labeled genuine (and Made in Japan!) is actually genuine. Seems legit? 

Seriously though, isn't Divya an authorised genuine Mitsu part dealer? And yet the price difference vs Habtoor is so significant that gets you to think twice. I actually asked the sales guy in Divya about this to which he said Habtoor doesn't give discount, hence the price difference. 

Check Parts before you take from them they are tend so sell 1st copy 

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Sidshk said:

Check Parts before you take from them they are tend so sell 1st copy 

REALLY.......? Divya / Dhanya selling first copy and not original spare parts......?

How do you know that and how we can find out the difference from original vs 1st copy?

I have been heavily relying on Divya / Dhanya parts since long, and never knew they also sell fake parts, please explain

Two years back, I have bitten from Al Qaswa Auto Spare Parts selling fake parts and reported

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Would be nice if we could see a picture of the actual part showing the hole on the end instead of a part number. 

Maybe is is a genuine part, but maybe it’s a NOS (new old stock) old type tappet. It’s easy to tell the difference. The old type tappets have a tiny hole that you can barely poke a piece of wire into, the newer ones have a much bigger hole that you could stick the end of a pen into. 

• Like (+1) 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

To update you on this - tappets have not been replaced yet. And with the 120k major servicing looming ahead, it may be another 2 months (earliest) before I can get this done. Unless something major happens (Big Ticket FTW!)...

Although I did manage to personally go to Habtoor in Sharjah to get a quote on the tappets. I got a better rate than what Habtoor Garhoud told me over the phone. Habtoor Sharjah guy said he can give me each tappet for DHS 43 (x 24pcs). The price difference between Habtoor and Divya has now narrowed down so I will surely get them from Habtoor instead. I wasn't able to get photos of the tappets from them as they didn't have them there and had to be requested from Dubai warehouse. Either that or the Habtoor guy was just lazy to get one from their stock room.

Anyway, what I've done for the mean time is to change oil (again). I am now trying a heavier oil 10w40 Liqui Moly Leichtlauf (not to be mistaken with the Super Leichtlauf). It was changed yesterday and surprisingly, no change on the sound. I still was hopeful that it will lessen the sound, but once again disappointment prevailed. 

So between 2 oil change in the last 2.5 months, I've spent a total of DHS 600, which is more than half of what the tappets cost. But yeah, no regrets babyyy!

Going back to tappets replacement, it will be approx DHS 1,600 to get this done. This is the same cost to get the 120k major service done. The Pajero's current mileage is still at 115k, so basically I can consider doing the tappet change first, then do the major service  after 2 months since the Pajero has been promoted to weekend car... Hmmm..

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019 at 12:27 PM, Srikumar said:

I also had this noise on cold start only. Then when I changed the oil to Castrol 10w40 Full Synthetic I have not noticed it. Will check once again tomorrow morning and update.

I have changed mine also with castrol 10 W40 full synthetic last month and I can see the results. Since I change my complete lube for all the overall mileage shown up some good progress as earlier I drive 100kms @14-14.5 ltr patrol and now I can see the gauge some times shows up 13.5-13.8 on long routes @100-110 kms speed.

also I have noticed my idle RPM went down from 800-900 to 400-500 with transmission Position D and AC on

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I've finally bitten the proverbial bullet and left the Pajero to a garage to get this thing over and done with. I've opted for a garage where I felt most comfortable (especially with their technical expertise and experience with Pajeros). So I'm really hopeful that this issue will be resolved by them.

The plan is to get the valve covers off first and assess what's going on in there. I was advised not to buy any parts yet until we can determine the actual cause of the tapping/ticking sound. 

I will post updates every now and then as this progresses. So watch this space.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Keithryan said:

UPDATE:

I've finally bitten the proverbial bullet and left the Pajero to a garage to get this thing over and done with. I've opted for a garage where I felt most comfortable (especially with their technical expertise and experience with Pajeros). So I'm really hopeful that this issue will be resolved by them.

The plan is to get the valve covers off first and assess what's going on in there. I was advised not to buy any parts yet until we can determine the actual cause of the tapping/ticking sound. 

I will post updates every now and then as this progresses. So watch this space.

care to share the garage details ? It's always interesting to find reliable workshops with specific expertise :) 

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

3 minutes ago, Frederic said:

care to share the garage details ? It's always interesting to find reliable workshops with specific expertise :) 

Hope you don't mind, but I would rather not share their details yet at this stage. The job is ongoing and if the final result falls short of our expectations (worst case), it will unintentionally give them bad PR in the end.

But once job is completed and successful, I will surely share their details and even promote them here. 

• Like (+1) 2