•  
Advertise here

Ticking/clicking noise - Mitsubishi common issue?

UPDATE:

Work on this finally began 2 days ago. The mechanic started by draining the oil and to his surprise, this is what greeted him:

ADKT4372.JPG.36c9c00cb4eff294dd489fdfcccf2ed7.JPG

I got a call from him informing me about this creamy discovery. I then reminded him about using Liqui Moly Ceratec during the time I was throwing everything at the car hoping something sticks (or un-stick the sticky lifters...) but apparently seeing the actual oil still startled him. I assured him that this is normal and I even sent him videos of Ceratec users showing their oil mixed with Ceratec which were similar to the above. 

They then finally opened the valve covers yesterday and confirmed that it was indeed the lifters causing the noise as almost all have collapsed and all other parts looked ok. He explained that this is a classic case of neglected maintenance in which the previous owner probably used cheap oil or didn't perform oil change at proper intervals (or both). 

SEFB3023.JPG.6380b2b52aaae1aab0fca320173fda67.JPG

So next step is parts sourcing which was supposedly done yesterday as well and should be going in by evening. I will get an update later this afternoon so here's hoping that it is done by then. 

• Like (+1) 2

UPDATE:

So these bad boys were put in during the weekend. 

The holes on these did seem bigger, in which the tip of a ballpoint pen can fit easily. 

I will be picking up the car from the garage today so we shall see if this is the end of this issue.  

8145307A-C20D-491F-A3CC-305D9F740A8C.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Thanks for keeping this updated. This thread will become very valuable for others !

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Just a thought if you still have a chance to do side by side pic of old vs new that can help others even more.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

FINAL UPDATE:

So I got the car on Saturday and while it did sound quieter, I will be the first to admit that there is still a rattling sound. This is still present on idle once the car reaches its operating temp (around 45% of the temp gauge). The ticking/tapping sound was reduced, but a rattling sound is still there.

Perhaps my expectations of a totally quiet Pajero is unrealistic as this sound seems to be common on Pajeros as I have a friend who just bought a brand new Pajero 3.5 had this sound as well (although a tad softer). Or maybe I am just telling myself this to make myself feel better? :D 

Anyway, at least now I can go on knowing that my lifters are brand new and everything else on that side of the engine is in perfect condition. On to the next mod/fix I suppose.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Thanks for sharing @Keithryan. Hope you have a peace of mind now, With a Pajero you have to take everything with a pinch of salt, however in today's day and age it is more car for your money than any other brand in the market.

• Thanks (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Which engine oil (brand and spec) you are running and how old it is?

Hi @Gaurav. The garage drained my creamy oil and have put in Valvoline 5w40 during this job. Do you think that oil type will be a factor even at this stage where all 24 lifters are now new? 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Did the mechanic fill the lifters with oil before starting the engine? 

Try taking the car for a good run, keep the RPM at 3-4K for 10-15 minutes. You should hear any rattly lifters disappear one by one. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 4/22/2019 at 2:08 PM, Barry said:

Did the mechanic fill the lifters with oil before starting the engine? 

Try taking the car for a good run, keep the RPM at 3-4K for 10-15 minutes. You should hear any rattly lifters disappear one by one. 

Thanks @Barry, the good 'ol rev to 3K for 15 second intervals to bleed the lifters. I will try this with no expectations (but with high hopes) since I understand that this works for rattly lifters from start-up.

• Like (+1) 1