•  
Advertise here

Ticking/clicking noise - Mitsubishi common issue?

@shadow79 ok solution if you want to butcher something up to sell it again but it’s hiding the problem rather than fixing it. No disrespect intended. If the car is a keeper it’s better to isolate and repair the issue.

Who was it on here that put bananas in the rear diff to stop the oil leak? That’s the most ghetto thing I’ve ever read about 😂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Ok so I finally found time to actually have this issue checked by a mechanic. He checked and even used a stethoscope like tool to confirm if the ticking/tapping sound was indeed coming from the engine. Long story short, he was confident that this IS a tappet issue, even letting me hear it using the aforementioned tool. Both left and right part of the engine had the tapping sound.

So naturally my next question was can they do it (change the tappets) and what would be the approx. cost. The mechanic assured me that this is not an urgent issue that needs to be addressed asap, but asked me to observe if the sound becomes louder over time. I also told him the steps I've done trying to resolve this to which he said it might still yield results after some kms/usage. He suspect that the previous owner did not regularly change oil. So here's hoping for a minor miracle.

But this didn't stop me from asking the worst case scenario - what if I do need to change the tappets, how much are we looking at? Understandably, he didn't have any figure yet but was told that the gaskets alone would cost approx. Dhs 1-1.5K. What more when you add the tappets and labour.. And it will take 2-3 days to do the job. Does this sound about right @Barry @shadow79?

• Like (+1) 1

No, that doesn’t sound right at all. You need 2 rocker cover gaskets (maybe, maybe not depending on condition) at around 30 dhs each. 

I don’t remember the exact cost of the tappets, maybe @Gaurav can remember, I changed some for him. They aren’t expensive but if you change all 24, it will add up a bit. The new ones are a better design than the old ones so probably better to change them all.

From what I can tell, it sounds like the mechanic is taking you for a ride and wants to strip the cylinder heads off and build it on a bench. 

Its half a days work to do it. Inlet manifold off, rocker covers off. You can use a bar to push the compress the valve springs a bit, lift the old tappets out and drop the new ones in.  No need to even remove the cams never mind take the heads off.

Its not something you need to do right away but it can lead to cam and rocker wear and the car will be down a few horsepower. If the car is a keeper, best to just get it done and out of the way. Make sure the mechanic measures the cam lobes, rockers and clearances so everything is even.

• Like (+1) 3

none taken @Barry just one of many ways this can end up if you use a bit of heavy oil everytime you change oil and filter this issue will be at bay and if taken care in of changes nicely should not worsen overtime and the sound will stop (chain rattling went silent this is only some minor thing)

if you remove the head in this case the mechanic is intending to get the whole integrity of the head evaluated...which i guess should not be necessary because there is no heating oil consumption or misfiring issues only minor sound which is really evident when the bonnet is open and more evident when you are using scope....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Just wanted to update this thread - I've seen 3 more mechanics (thanks @Carnity, the 'Get Quotes in Minutes' feature works) and all 3 have basically confirmed that the tappets are to blame. Although 1 of them said that this is normal and I should just put thicker oil (no, not Saleem). 

Anyway, I'm saving up for parts as each tappet/lifter is Dhs 30 from Divya and Dhs 54 from Habtoor. Replacing all 24 will add up so I guess its a no brainer where I should get them. I've been quoted no less than Dhs 500 for labour in several garages (a whole day's work) so I guess it will take time before I update this thread again with an 'after' results. But once done, I will surely post the results here. 

• Like (+1) 6

If you really want to keep this car for a very long time, replacing all 24 is a good idea. Alternatively, you can just replace the one that is affected or a couple more with doubts.

This happens due to a late oil change or bad quality or wrong spec engine oil, which if you take care then it won't repeat in future

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Be careful of pattern parts v original parts. Nothing against the aftermarket, there are some amazing parts available if you know what’s going on. The new genuine Mitsubishi lifters have a big hole. Old Mitsubishi parts have a small hole.  If you’re buying pattern parts, I’d recommend buying one aftermarket and one genuine and comparing them. 

Every man loves a big hole 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1