•  
Advertise here

Mitsubishi Pajero head gasket is gone

If all the engines you’re getting are scrap I would just rebuild your own. It’s not a massive job. Pull the heads off and check them for flatness along with the block decks. Skim a couple of thou off if necessary. Stick a couple of gaskets in and it’ll be as good as new. If you skim the heads or decks, it’ll up the compression ratio a bit and you’ll gain a couple of horsepower. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

• 1 month later...

So finally the Pajero is back on the road. Engine top rebuild was done, and lots of other smaller works were done while the engine was out. The manual gearbox lever was broken/bent and we really struggled to find another one, and eventually just got it repaired. 

The issues with the alternator fuse that blew after the rebuild was apparently caused by an internal short on the battery. After replacing the battery it was resolved. 

It was noticed that the radiator was pretty scaled up and clogged. That might have caused the head gasket to blow out due to overheating, but on the other hand i've never seen my temperature gauge going higher than normal in the desert. I am just wondering if the lack of water flow might have caused the temp gauge sensor to work incorrectly. Anyway we replaced the thermostat and sensor, and flushed the radiator. 

I'll be taking it easy on the next drives to allow the engine to settle in again, and i have an oil change coming up after 2500km to flush it out. 

Fingers crossed i don't have any major stuff coming up soon. My 2019 car maintenance budget got a nasty dent :)

Desert here we come !

2019-02-19 18.00.02.jpg

2019-02-19 17.57.46.jpg

2019-02-19 18.45.49.jpg

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Congrats buddy, on finally getting her back with new life.

While topend was open, have you checked all valves are in good shape....?

• Like (+1) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Frederic thank you for sharing your engine rebuilt/replacement in details and sharing with us the outcome which is rare.

Looking forward to riding with you again very soon.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Congrats buddy, on finally getting her back with new life.

While topend was open, have you checked all valves are in good shape....?

Thanks @Gaurav buddy, apart from the gasket itself the valves were in pretty good shape. The piston heads were skimmed a bit and the engine itself now runs pretty smooth all through the revs.

Just now, Rahimdad said:

@Frederic thank you for sharing your engine rebuilt/replacement in details and sharing with us the outcome which is rare.

Looking forward to riding with you again very soon.

Thanks @Rahimdad i am looking forward to those bear hugs ! :) 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Frederic said:

Anyway we replaced the thermostat and sensor, and flushed the radiator. 

If your radiator was clogged It is recommended to replace with new radiator.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Yes, flushing,rodding is useless. Get a new radiator and don't rely on factory gauges. They are designed to show normal in the huge temp range which is considered operating temp, could by anything from 70-130C h and gauge wont move. Another 5-10C and your engine could be toast and by the time it shows its hot or you notice it. It's already toast.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Thanks @desertdude and @Asif Hussain. I’ll be trying to source a new OEM radiator or go for a decent aftermarket one. The temp gauge is indeed a concern. I’ll be picking up a Stewart Warner one any of these weeks and install in the dashboard instead of that wonky inclinometer.

• Like (+1) 1