•  
Advertise here

Recommend offroad equipments

Dear CARNITY admins and members , 

First of all I have to say thank you for the perfect website and arrangement, we had a great drive today, as I discussed with the leaders, everyone has a doubt about offroading gears to carry specially from Fewbie to up, we have arranged to have those equipments step by step, but there are a few things that need to be clear, as we knew there is thousands brands and options, but specifically for our safety we have to buy good quality products  with good efficiency and price, but I researched whole DM to find a good shovel, nothing, towing rope, lot of the options but I can't trust them to danger myself and the team, BTW I recommend to share the experience and address to buy items such as the quality, price and location, but we can make carnity.com as a market place to sell the recommended items by admins , allow members to request and pay and delivery at the next drive location 💥

• Like (+1) 2

@hossein regarding the concept of selling the items from Carnity at this stage I don't think that would be possible as we don't keep spare inventory of these recovery gears.

But based on previous experience we can most definitely recommend a certain brand and store and brand which can be a reliable purchase. Finally, the decision on how much each member would like to spend for building this set of recovery tools is an individual choice. You might have a person who would be ok with an acceptable quality shovel from Sharjah Industrial Area, and you can have another person who would prefer to buy it from Ace Hardware.

So we can only mention that places from where to get the equipment. The choice of selection  is always yours.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, skumar83 said:

@hossein regarding the concept of selling the items from Carnity at this stage I don't think that would be possible as we don't keep spare inventory of these recovery gears.

But based on previous experience we can most definitely recommend a certain brand and store and brand which can be a reliable purchase. Finally, the decision on how much each member would like to spend for building this set of recovery tools is an individual choice. You might have a person who would be ok with an acceptable quality shovel from Sharjah Industrial Area, and you can have another person who would prefer to buy it from Ace Hardware.

So we can only mention that places from where to get the equipment. The choice of selection  is always yours.

Thanks, dear @skumar83 off course I need almost good quality and price I prefer that shovel from choor market 😅, but regarding the tow rope, I prefer recommended by admins.

• Like (+1) 1

Like all hobbies, there's always equipment available for all budgets. Since i started looking around on Souq, ACE, Ramy, Speedex, DM, and many others, i've come across utter crap but also pretty decent stuff for an affordable price.

If in doubt, google around a bit or have a look on Youtube. Most decent brands for offroad gear will have reviews about users in SA, Australia, US, or other offroad markets.

Here goes my two cents:

Compressors

Bought two models from Xcessoires (ACE homebrand). The Grunter and Big Grunter if i am not mistaken.They are poorly made but do the job. Recommend to upgrade the hoses and supply wires as these fall apart after using a few times. Imho they cost way too much as these are just rebranded Chinese compressors. You can find the identical ones in DM at half the price. Ended up buying the Camel Brand 160lpm compressor in DM and so far is much better. I don't like using the yellow spiral hoses so i bought separate rubber hoses with pressure gauge. No experience with ARB, VIAIR, Bushranger, or other more high-end brands yet. Although read tons of reviews about them. Like engines, there is no replacement for displacement. The bigger the compressor, the less longer it will have to work, and the cooler it will run.

Ropes

You have a few options here: Either you go for an industrial type of sling which you can find in almost any hardware / general trading shop. This one will get the job done fine as tow rope and also as recovery rope if you are a bit careful. They cannot deal with heavy tugs because they don't stretch. 

You should AVOID the 40dhs tow ropes from the gas-stations at any time. They are made to tow a car along the road, NOT for recovery in the desert. They will snap if you sneeze at them.

A very good price/quality KINETIC recovery rope is the AOR brand one. You'll find them in Ramy, Speedex, ACE, etc.. Price is around 370dhs if i am not mistaken. Mind that i mention KINETIC, that means it stretches up to 20% and that recoil builds up massive amounts of energy. I love kinetic ropes but be careful with them. 

Shackles

AOR also makes the soft shackles which i highly recommend. Metal shackles will work fine and i also use them if needed, but always carries a bit of risk. Try to get rated ones as they should be better than the cheap ones from DM.

Shovels

Shovels were mentioned a few times before on Carnity. Buy a full size labourer/gardener shovel with wooden handle. I also carry a AOR aluminium one which works fine too. For the offroad drives i take them both along.

It might indeed be good to have a separate thread for buying and selling stuff (like a market-corner). 

• Like (+1) 4

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Nice thread @hossein and to be honest we have thought on this issue so many times to help newbies get the best deals at best pricing, but this idea failed to take off for exact reason @skumar83 has mentioned. You like green, I like blue. You like AOR, I like bushranger and we can't have stock of all these items as each item has its own warranty period and no one will buy with lesser warranty if we stock items for a couple of months.

@Frederic Nuyttens has posted tons of valuable information here, for which I am totally impressed as it shows that he has been well researching about his new hobby. Good job buddy.

Here are my takes on each item:

Tow rope: Buy the Viking or Kinetic rope because it's best for regular soft tugs that are good for both cars. @Rahimdad Viking is the best example and I think it cost 300 dhs. AOR kinetic cost about 370 after 20% discount of the current promotion, available in few ENOC stores even. Second, best is the rated straps, that is very good for stronger tugs. While buying straps buy with the rating of double your car weight and it will never break. And don't buy the slings and webbing as it's for lifting strength and not pulling/towing strength. I bought my red color heavy duty strap, that is rated for 9500 lbs (4250 kgs) and pulled my cruiser uphill with constant 20-30 strong tugs and it survived against 4 tow ropes we broke that day. So ideally every offroader should have Viking first and then heavy duty strap for those rainy days.

Compressor: Endless battle, as a market is flooded with cheap to the best, remember you get what you pay for. 150-200 dhs dragon market, naif, sharjah Camel brand, and other Chinese compressor are there. Seems like they are good for the 1-2 year of regular use. Other professional high-end brands like TJM, Bushranger, Smitybilt, TJM etc. range from 500 - 1500 and last for 5-10 years with regular use and also give you peace of mind with their trusted reliability. I am using bushranger black max for a long time without an issue. I bought bushranger when ACE used to give 5 years warranty and changed my yellow hose once in warranty. Now they reduce that to 1-2 year warranty making bushranger purchase totally meaningless.

In DM I have seen the compressor that has an auto cut-off switch but it comes with no warranty. This auto cut-off switch feature is something I have been waiting for a long time, so the compressor will stop at 35 PSI automatically. I would love to try this compressor, but I'm waiting for my bushranger to fail to justify my next purchase, lol.

Shovel: That is the one thing that can save any offroader any day and that's why carrying the best shovel is very important. Like @Frederic Nuyttens pointed perfectly to go with an industrial class full-size non-folding shovel of metal and wood. You can buy 10-20 dhs from any hardware shop or buy decorated branded one of lightweight aluminum for 100 - 200 dhs. They both work equally good. Stay away from plastic snow shovel, folded two or three pieces shovel that is good for nothing in the sand as you can displace more sand with the hand instead of those spoon size shovel.

Radio / Walkie-talkies: Only in DM or on souq you can buy these. Motorola MT777, Crony, Baofeng, Kangda are some well-trusted brand, varies from 150-250 dhs. My personal favorite is Motorola MT777 due to best in class durability and reliability.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Since we don't have warranty issues with tow ropes, I source from a friend in the ship business. It's AED 350 for Viking tow rope with 2 soft shackles, gloves and a bag. The AOR shackles alone cost AED 100 each.

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

Since we don't have warranty issues with tow ropes, I source from a friend in the ship business. It's AED 350 for Viking tow rope with 2 soft shackles, gloves and a bag. The AOR shackles alone cost AED 100 each.

Thanks, dear @Rahimdad I will check and will arrange with you to bring me one in the next meeting then I will pay you there or if not possible send me your friend location I will go there.🏁

Edited by hossein
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, hossein said:

Thanks, dear @Rahimdad I will check and will arrange with you to bring me one in the next meeting then I will pay you there or if not possible send me your friend location I will go there.🏁

At your service, Its on my way in Sharjah, so PM me if you want the viking rope and I will arrange it for you, you can pay me on the drive day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1