•  
Advertise here

7 ways you are spoiling your car unknowingly in UAE

Gaurav

Don’t hit the kerb. 

I saw something on another site a couple of days ago, Reddit or 9GAG or something like that, I don’t remember. Some guy screwed rubber onto the kerb outside his house so he wouldn’t damage his wheels when parking. I felt like making an account just to tell him if you can’t park without hitting the kerb, you probably shouldn’t be driving. 

I see this every day. Some people have no spatial awareness and no idea of the size of their car. They will driver until they hit the kerb and use that as a feel for when to steer. 

It’s not just tyre damage. It knocks your wheels out of balance so the steering wheel vibrates when you drive. It also upsets your steering alignment so your car doesn’t drive straight when you let go of the wheel. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Very good point added @Barry thanks for your additional valuable inputs.

I see almost in every parking, tires are suffocated to the curb or kerb and then people complain that these tires were useless as they bulge out in less than a year when they don't know how to park. Even if you use the judgment of curb while parking (it's ok), move away few cms once you reach the end, then switching off car instantly.

The second most killing thing I spot is more than 75% driver jump in the car and move away within 1-2 seconds while rolling they pull the seatbelt and wear their glasses. I am like do these basic steps first and let that poor car run for 30 seconds before you put the gear in drive.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

What i see taxi drivers doing often: slowly pushing the pedal for a few second till they reach desired speed, then letting it go, and so on, and so on. So it's like a constant pulsation of gas/no gas. Annoys the hell out of me and i really don't understand why they do it. 

Not sure if its harmful to the car, but i just don't see the point of doing this.

Edited by Frederic Nuyttens
  • Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

• 8 months later...

I see this everyday, people just start the engine and put in gear to drive immediately. Then there is a misconception from petrolheads I was reading on other whatsapp group, that in modern cars you don't have to wait.

Now this information is too grey.

What petrolheads is saying is right too but it doesn't mean that you start the car and move immediately. Let RPM drop to idle range in next 5-10 seconds and then you are good to go unlike in old cars where you should wait for 2-3 minutes.

Killing this 10 second gap is enough to starve engine moving part without lubrication.

• Like (+1) 1