•  
Advertise here

timing belt kit

Hi

I am about to change timing belt in my pajero and it is going to be the first time i have ever done it.

I am confused about parts. An experience friend from the home country told me that i need the belt, tensioner, pulley and water pump, and that is all I purchased.

However when I checked at Habtoor they told me that the timing belt kit consists of some 15 different items. Where does this come from? Do I really need all the items that are in the oficial Mitsubishi kit from Habtoor?

You should have 2 pulleys, not one, an idler pulley and one that attaches to the tensioner system. Other than that, that’s all the parts I’ve ever used.

You’ll need some coolant too. Transmission fluid if you remove the radiator to make it easier. Removing the radiator takes an extra 30 minutes and isn’t necessary but it’s worth if for the extra space to work. 

Thats really all you need. 

At a guess, I assume that the official kit includes some bolts which would make the numbers up. Maybe cam and crank oil seals. No need to change if they’re not leaking but no harm in changing them when you’re stripping the engine back that far. Saves doing it all again later. I’ve done countless pajero timing belts and never changed any bolts. As long as they aren’t obviously damaged, I would use them again. If you have enough experience to tackle a timing belt, you can use your own judgment. 

It’s not a difficult job. The hardest part is getting the crankshaft pulley off. Just be careful what type of puller you use, later models are equipped with a harmonic balancer pulley and if you pull from the outside and separate the rubber, you’ll have to replace the pulley. 

Also be aware that the bolts which hold the bracket in front of the timing cover for the alternator and depending on model, the AC compressor and steering pump, are different lengths so make sure to put them back in the right place. 

There are no special tools needed for the job outside of a standard mechanics tool kit. Strip everything back to get access to the belt. Line up the timing marks, slacken the tensioner. Old parts off, new parts on, turn the engine by hand a couple of times to make sure the marks are still lined up then build everything else back on. 

Bleeding the cooling system after refilling is easy. Don’t listen to anyone who tells you to fill with the engine running. There is a screw or 2 screws depending on your engine on top of the thermostat housing. Open them and start pouring coolant into the radiator when switched off and cold. If it’s the one screw, close it when the coolant comes out, job finished. If it’s 2 screws, close the first one when the coolant comes out, keep pouring then close the second when the coolant comes out. Job done.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. 

Thank you so much @Barry Lots of very practical info that i will use.

This is what comes with Mitsubishi kit as sold by Habtoor. Anything worth adding to what I have:

TIMING BELT

TIMING BELT TENSIONER ADJUSTER

TIMING BELT TENSIONER ADJUSTER

PULLEY, VALVE TIMING IDLE

PULLEY,ALTERNATOR IDLER

PULLEY,ALTERNATOR IDLER

WATER PUMP KIT

ROCKER COVER GASKET

SEAL

OIL SEAL,CAMSHAFT

THERMOSTAT KIT

GASKET,PCV VALVE