•  
Advertise here

BMW x5 ac surprise

Long since i shared any experience, but this one is hilarious.

Let me ask you , can there be a possibility where ac tech says that AC compressor is weak but my ac still blows visible vapors when running and cools amazingly.

its funny to me coz , i have only seen really good ac machines doing that.

fun part on x5, it takes a little while for compressor to gear up and start cooling post turning on,but then cools really well.

now is it really ac?,  sometimes i get a screeching sound from ac belt or rather the single common belt that runs through various pulleys and the machine if ac is turned on.

However, if i turn on ac midway of driving there is no sound.

at the end of the day ac cools well..... so ..

Any thoughts or experience or such case.. though i am going to change the belt anyways on this service wondering whats making this drama 

Yes weak AC compressor takes time to start effective cooling. Ideally, AC should be cooling within 15-30 seconds of being switched on.

@shadow79 and @Barry can advise further

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

It completely normal for AC to blow cold air in 30 seconds to a minute depending on the type and size of system

most of the factory service manuals recommend that the evaporator temperature be recorded in idle rpms after the cars rpm is raised up to 1500 to 2k for 3 to 5 minutes that means that the refrigerant should be in full circulation...

Those vapors could be a sign that the thermostat is set at very low temp or in some cars that the evaporator thermostat is bad and is not cutting out when reaching the desired temperature...to check that you have to open bonnet and monitor the clutch (if it's a clutch driven compressor) while in idle it should regularly disengage and re-engage if it's a direct drive compressor then you have to get a diagnosis machine and read live data of air conditioning ECU from there monitor the evaporator temperature sensor and AC duty cycle percentage both should be inversely proportional....now about the screeching noise could be the clutch bearing going bad

could be the belt going bad

could also be a sign of overcharged system

There could be a blockage in the system which the compressor overcomes

Could also be that something is broken in the compressor that when not in the right place stopes or make it harder for the compressor to start pumping refrigerant

• Like (+1) 1